What are the differences between Air Strikers I and II?

Krieg

I've read several times that the 2011's are using Air Striker II carbs. I've searched Sudco and Google and can't seem to find any substantive info on the differences. The only thing obvious to me is the screw-off cap is gone.

Does anyone have any good info?

I've read several times that the 2011's are using Air Striker II carbs. I've searched Sudco and Google and can't seem to find any substantive info on the differences. The only thing obvious to me is the screw-off cap is gone.

Does anyone have any good info?

From the memory bank (somewhat foggy) - The tops obviously, and the bowls as well (AS II slightly tidier), shorter front to rear ... different jetting too - typically 1-2 sizes larger on the pilot and 1-2 sizes smaller on the main.

My 08 ec250 had the old style carb with the round screw off slide. My 2010 ec250 race has a slide that is held in with screws. I could not see any difference between these carbs when I had them side by side except those I just mentioned. Also, the performance of the two seemed idenitcal.

Also, both have 38mm carbs. I am not sure why people are listing that there was a smaller carb from 2008 to 2010. I am not aware of any.

carbs

Here is what I have found so far by my experience. I have a 2010 SD and a friend has a standard 300 ec both are 300s. Mine has ASII his ASI. THEY WILL NOT RUN THE SAME WITH THE SAME JETS OR NEEDLES. My best performance with the ASII is with a JD jetting kit for a yz 250 but ask him the extra needle between the red and blue tip because its a 1/2 degree leaner than the blue tip. Run it 3rd position 38 pilot 170 main air screw 3/4 out. I ride 1500-2500 feet or u can run a KTM N3EH 3rd position same jets. ASI ran best with N1EF 2nd position 45 pilot 180 main

After reading on here about the differences between ASI and ASII carbs and the difficulties of jetting the new 2011's I went out and measured the bore on my 2011 EC250. Guess what? The new carbs are 36mm not 38mm that were on the previous bikes. It's also stamped 36 on the top piece that holds the slide. Mine is a 250, but I would think the 300 would have the same.

GG used the same jetting they previously put in the 38's, in the new 36's. This would explain why no one can get them to run right. They're too rich.

My best setting so far is : 40 pilot
1 1/2 AS
CCK needle 2nd clip
(N3EW 3rd also worked well)
170 main
6.5 slide

It's still pretty cold here. 25-40 degrees so I know when it warms up I'll have to go leaner than these settings.

I have a 2011 EC300 and mine is stamped 38 on top of the carb.
I thought mine was stamped 38... then I got a flashlight and inspection mirror and saw that the "38" was actually a 36.

I suppose it's remotely possible, but somehow I doubt that GasGas would randomly install 36 carbs on some 11's and 38's on others. If they did, it would be a MAJOR F-up.

I thought mine was stamped 38... then I got a flashlight and inspection mirror and saw that the "38" was actually a 36.

I suppose it's remotely possible, but somehow I doubt that GasGas would randomly install 36 carbs on some 11's and 38's on others. If they did, it would be a MAJOR F-up.

Without any doubt mine is 38, not the best picture but it is 38
2011_0302AH-1.jpg

Strange that GG put 36's on some of the 2011's and 38's on others. The picture clearly shows that yours is indeed a 38. Mine was stamped 36, but I wanted to be sure so I measured the bore with telescoping gauges and a 1"-2" micrometer. Result, 1.418". Divide that by 0.03937= 36.

I suppose this is would fall along the same GG policy that some of the 2011's come with Sachs forks/ Sachs shocks and others come with Zoke forks/ Ohlins shocks.

A good percentage of guys don't really understand jetting principles. Jetting is viewed as a black art by a lot of riders. It takes experience to get it right. If both the 36's and the 38's come with the same jetting installed from the factory it sure is going to make it tough for Joe Average customer to jet his new bike effectively.

Just checked my late model 2010 Euro EC300. Using the Air Striker II. 38 Printed in the top..

38 Pilot
N3EG #1 (going to change to a N3CH #2 once arrives)
175 Main

Gas Gas have finally got the bikes to a good standard, now they just need to ensure they all come either with some kind of standardised parts/sizes and some quality documentation!

I suppose it's remotely possible, but somehow I doubt that GasGas would randomly install 36 carbs on some 11's and 38's on others.

:D
I wouldn't doubt it at all! As much as I like a lot about GG this would not surprise me at all. They can be a little chaotic with build quality. Hence the early Sach suspension fiascos.

My 17 yr. old says our '11 250 6D has a 36mm cast into the carb top. I can't see too well up real close (holding out on the bi-focals). When I do put on the "reading glasses", I see a kind of odd-looking 6 that could be easily mistaken for an 8.

It's a gas hog though. We're consistently getting to the 28 mile marker then "wha, wha, whaa...whaa", we have to switch to reserve. Gonna re-do the jetting for warmer weather (yeah!). Bike runs great! I'll also check the float level although nobody seems to know what the spec is.

If I was losing fuel due to the float being too high, wouldn't somebody smell some gas now and then?

I dug up a float height for the ASII on KTM Talk of 6.5mm. From Roscoe's description of the float assy I don't know how it would be adjusted though, as the tab does not sound like it could be bent. Could the entire needle valve assy be unscrewed from the carb body, and moved up with a shim washer(s) to adjust spec? If you can take this out of the carb, measure it, take a few pics, I'll find a shim for it. Just a thought.

If I was losing fuel due to the float being too high, wouldn't somebody smell some gas now and then?

Nah. What with all the 2 stroke oils smells and that it's dropping out the overflow onto absorbant ground, i.e. mud, sand etc. Could easily be missed if you're not looking for it. The only time I've noticed is on other people's bikes when they've stopped.

The new ASII does not have the little brass tabs that you can bend to adjust float height. It's all plastic. I couldn't see any way to adjust it when I had it apart yesterday. I don't really think I have a float height problem 'cause I've never noticed escaping gas unless I was laid over from a crash.:o

Were you using too much gas? What did you find and how did you adjust it?

I didn't measure mine 'cause I wasn't sure what the benchmark is. I eyeballed it. The float center line was lined up with the gasket surface when it made contact with the valve.

I did it on my friends 010 six days. He was complaining about really bad fuel economy. I had posted up earlier, with an accompanying photo that the spec I had recieved was but unable to coroborate was 6mm. I set his at an arbitrary 8 mm , mine in my new unridin bike the same as well. Due to the inclement weather we have been unable to provide any tangable results. I did however do a side by side comparisin between a AS1 and AS2 float assembly's and found them to be of similar shape and size, with somewhat different float materials being used but the major difference of the assembly's still being the depth of the float bowl's themself.

Widebear,
Please describe how you adjusted the float height on the AS2. Why was the stock height a problem and what benefit did you see with less bowl volume? Did the carb run out of fuel at sustained WOT?

Back