Where does this go?

pscook

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I am installing an e-start on my 2011 300. I have the entire wiring harness, so I am sorting out what goes where. Right now I have an extra wire as well as a couple of questionable ones.

Let's cut to the chase- Yellow wire with green tracer with 8mm ring connector. It terminates from the wire harness at the coil, but the only thing that has a ring possibility is the ground lug next to the coil (where the zener diode/regulator mounted). Where does it go? Is it necessary? Here's a pic of the offending piece-

Also, off the stator are two wires- One yellow and one white. They seem to line up perfectly with a white and yellow wire in the harness, but they were not very close and I had to maneuver the bits to get them to meet. Should the plug in? See below-

Last question (for now...), on the bar switch with the rotating knob, stop, and horn buttons- The signage is worn, so I can't see exactly what each position on the knob performs. Does this knob affect running? I am not getting spark (even with the key on), and I want to eliminate the variable of the knob. Suggestions/diagrams/pictures are appreciated for chasing no spark.

Yes, I have pored over it thoroughly. The yellow/green wire is either 14, 15, 33, or 34. 14 goes from the CDI to the trailtech and 15 goes from the trailtech to a switch. 33 goes from wire 15 to a light bulb, and 34 goes from wire 15 to another lightbulb. There is no indication that a ring terminal exists on the yellow/green wire.

Okay, bike runs and headlight works. The yellow/green wire isn't a concern for now, but it would be nice to know where it goes and why. Now I just need to install and test the starter to see if my "investment" is worth it.

Hey Phil we are going to have a few conversations this week because I'm having the same problems and was also wondering about the wiring on the down tube out of the stator. I'll be in touch when I start wiring. For now it looks like this lol
aja7ujus.jpg

So, I had a "lightbulb" moment: Why not ask the guy that sold me the harness? It's a ground and secures to the frame right where the zener diode/regulator lived.

Trev- The wires from the stator are easy- The white and yellow bundle connect at the top of the rear shock to the white and yellow from the bundle. They power the trailtech and accessories (best estimation). The other connectors power and trigger the CDI and connect the same as the non-e-start bundle. Ask any other questions as you need, I am all put together except lights and signals.

Last question (for now...), on the bar switch with the rotating knob, stop, and horn buttons- The signage is worn, so I can't see exactly what each position on the knob performs. Does this knob affect running? I am not getting spark (even with the key on), and I want to eliminate the variable of the knob. Suggestions/diagrams/pictures are appreciated for chasing no spark.

I'll double check my switch when I get home but its high beam, low beam and it doesn't affect running.

Did anyone get this done , iv just got mine and u came with a nest of wires :confused:

Ask away, I have mine pretty well sorted out. FYI, the two long single wires near the coil (when you get the loom run) go to the horn, don't worry about them. Everything else falls into place once you hang everything on the frame.

Think iv got some of it sussed , here is a pic of the loom

I cut the two wires that attach to the birds nest , red and black and connected the starter wires to battery and solonoid , the earth from solonoid to battery as a temp , if I touch the two cut wires it will operate the starter , so I just need to wire up the starter switch and figure out the power for battery charging .

Can anyone tell me why I seem to be missing a few wires and colors here?? First pic is of cdi and I have an orange and black left with a yellow and white in that area??
y9egusu8.jpg

Next pic is the other harness out of stator but there is only one yellow on my original harness and I have a grey and yellow??
4u7ynysy.jpg

Last is by the rear brake, I have 2 blacks in the original wiring and a red and blue in the harness. Does it matter which one is which??
nynujevu.jpg

Thanks guys!

I believe the orange and black are your sun/rain map switch.

Yellow from stator connects to yellow of yellow and white fame. Run the single yellow back around the carb to the top of the shock and connect yellow and yellow. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a white wire coming up from the stator paired up with the yellow. If not, it shouldn't be a big deal. You are going to pop the stator cover off anyway, might as well see if a white wire enters that loom.

I believe it shouldn't matter for the brake switch, the switch is just to supply continuity.

Thanks Phil I'll check it out, do you know what the grey and green is for then that was coming out of the new loom by the coil plug and ground?

Grey = Original Horn relay (euro models)
Yellow/Green = Ground I have seen it got to either the headlight or horn on different schematics.

Yes it comes with a completely new harness and bar controls. The old harness doesn't match in wire color and a few connectors. I'm actually glad I replaced it, the old wiring harness was worn threw in spots and very brittle. I'd hate to get stranded somewhere and have to try and trace an electrical fault.

Grey = Original Horn relay (euro models)
Yellow/Green = Ground I have seen it got to either the headlight or horn on different schematics.

I don't know if you can answer this, but if I ground the headlight with the yellow/green, as opposed to grounding to the frame, is that considered a floating ground?

I don't know if you can answer this, but if I ground the headlight with the yellow/green, as opposed to grounding to the frame, is that considered a floating ground?

No. Floating the ground involves modifying the stator. You can get DC without floating the ground. I have done this to my bike. I have a .pdf document written up of how I did it but when i posted it on Google docs to share it messed up the formatting. I can email it if you are interested.

Edit: I just put it on Dropbox. Let me know if the link works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpxcvg4xuxcxsml/EC250 DualSport Procedure.pdf

Back