Why should you buy new bikes ?

Dirt Dud

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I bought a bike off this site last year because it was a 200cc . 2014 it looked like it was better than new ! Bit me in the wallet , the forks were Trashed :mad: So from now on I will buy new enduro bikes and with a $1000. rebate it is hard to figure why anyone would not buy a new GasGas . We are riding on Race machines that get beat up on a normal ride [at least when I steer it ] Spare wheels are a must with my Tubeless system since next to no air leads to bent rims . So how about you New or Like New ? That is what the sellers always seam to say :eek:

Like anything in life, it just depends. Their will always be trade-offs. I've bought immaculate used bikes and got killer deals. Ive also bought bikes that were hiding some expensive problems.

Id like to think that all the bikes I've sold were in good operating condition and I always worry that something will fail right after I sell it making me look like a cheating a-hole. Because you really never know. Sometimes stuff just breaks.

I ride my bikes hard and they get beat up. I just went through the bike and was surprised how many trail fixes their were. Lol! But, my bike is well maintained and would make a good bike for someone if I sold it.

Tom,

You know me. I buy used. But really the main reason is I'm cheap and next year I'll have 2 kids in college. So a new bike isn't in my near future. But it will be some day, when I can walk in a dealer and pay for it.

I'm also a mechanic so I can fix anything on the bikes. If I had to pay someone to fix our fleet it would be a lot of money, so new may even be more economical if you don't know how to wrench.

I also sell good bikes, when I sell them. I don't sell junk or anything thats questionable. I usually go through them thoroughly and if there are any issues with the bike I fix it.

Like Matt when I sell a used bike I try to sell it locally because it really is ready to ride . And I understand why people buy used bikes for sure , but since the last bike I bought . I plan on only buying new bikes if they are enduro bikes not other bikes like trials or road bikes .

I did go to wilmington powersports a couple weeks ago. They don't have any enduro's on the floor, however they showed me the owners 2017. That bike truly is the most gorgeous of the bikes available today.

Yes they are a sexy bike! :p :p :p :p
ed1e103a24a286fef42495d57bad8a0c.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sweet looking bike ! Have you had much chance to get out and ride her yet ? I rode a 17 but my 15 is so farkled out it really fits me well . Good luck with it n let us know how she does for you :)

Always buy new, did buy one that had only 7 hours on it...seemed like a great deal, was super clean...come to find out it was 7 hours at the dunes. Tearing into it there was sugar sand everywhere, which I did not see at first. That bike turned out to be a real lemon.

Had intention of keeping my current one going, but the more I looked at it, the more work it needed...so pretty much only good as parts.

Came to the conclusion to buy a new bike, would of liked to get another GG, but the Beta 300 won out because they now have a 4 gallon tank for. Which gives me 40 more miles range than my GG with a 3.2. Will be great for the 100-120 mile death marches I like to do.

Who knows how long it will take for a bigger tank will be available for the '18 GG's, and nothing available for the '17's...need a bike now, or I miss out on riding season.

I could destroy a bike in 7 hours. Lol! But the truth is I do a lot of dune trips and I've never had a bike be destroyed because of it. Just like anything, maintenance is key.

I could destroy a bike in 7 hours. Lol! But the truth is I do a lot of dune trips and I've never had a bike be destroyed because of it. Just like anything, maintenance is key.

It was deceiving, the bike looked brand new.

The sugar sand was in everything, caused a lot of seals to leak, forks, worked its way into the brake and clutch master cylinder, there was sand even in the carb. It was an 08 KTM 505, when the airfilters were a bit fussy to seat. Pulled the airbox cover off when I was first looking at it...looked super clean.

It wasn't until tore the whole thing down and started cleaning everything, noticed how bad it was. Needed topend work prematurely, ate water pump seals every 25 hours...that bike had 3 topends before I offed it. That thing was fussy.

I have ridden out at Glamis a bunch...and none of my other bikes got that bad. Not sure if the dude wiped out a lot, or his buddies kept on roosting him or what.

On the flip side the '11 GG is what replaced the 505, turned out to be one of the most reliable bikes I ever owned, just routine maintenance up until recently, was going to do a complete over-haul and try to get another year or so out of it, and buy an '18 GG. But decided against it, and go with a Beta. The timing is a bit off, which is too bad, really liked the GG, kinda sad to see it go.

One of those memory things popped up on my FB today, I was riding it last year at this time...today I shipped the engine off, and a bunch off parts yesterday. Kinda bitter sweet.

Last edited:
Sweet looking bike ! Have you had much chance to get out and ride her yet ? I rode a 17 but my 15 is so farkled out it really fits me well . Good luck with it n let us know how she does for you :)
I've only been able to clock up 7 odd hrs on it in the last 4 months so it's barely broken in. But so far I've been very happy with it, just not happy about not getting enough time to ride, damn wife and kids fun stoppers!! But do plan to do some rallies this year and stretch her legs.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It was deceiving, the bike looked brand new.

The sugar sand was in everything, caused a lot of seals to leak, forks, worked its way into the brake and clutch master cylinder, there was sand even in the carb. It was an 08 KTM 505, when the airfilters were a bit fussy to seat. Pulled the airbox cover off when I was first looking at it...looked super clean.

It wasn't until tore the whole thing down and started cleaning everything, noticed how bad it was. Needed topend work prematurely, ate water pump seals every 25 hours...that bike had 3 topends before I offed it. That thing was fussy.

I have ridden out at Glamis a bunch...and none of my other bikes got that bad. Not sure if the dude wiped out a lot, or his buddies kept on roosting him or what.

On the flip side the '11 GG is what replaced the 505, turned out to be one of the most reliable bikes I ever owned, just routine maintenance up until recently, was going to do a complete over-haul and try to get another year or so out of it, and buy an '18 GG. But decided against it, and go with a Beta. The timing is a bit off, which is too bad, really liked the GG, kinda sad to see it go.

One of those memory things popped up on my FB today, I was riding it last year at this time...today I shipped the engine off, and a bunch off parts yesterday. Kinda bitter sweet.

Ahh. I see. Well, as they say, sand... it gets everywhere. It's always sad to see someone move away from GasGas, but on the other hand, it allowed my good friend to purchase your starter setup and to experience the wonders of an electric start dirtbike!

Ahh. I see. Well, as they say, sand... it gets everywhere. It's always sad to see someone move away from GasGas, but on the other hand, it allowed my good friend to purchase your starter setup and to experience the wonders of an electric start dirtbike!

Ha ha! Sand! That bike! grrrr.... ;)

Yeah, sad to see it go, favorite bike so far...nice to see it helping out other people in the GG community.

The Beta dealer is literally 5 minutes from work, another reason I chose Beta. Used to think that having a dealer close by didn't matter...but now since they are so close, it is kinda nice. I tried to get a couple shops in town to rebuild the engine for me, no one wanted to touch it, since there are no dealers here. So that meant I would have to ship it out of state. Contacted a couple shops out of state and they never got back to me, that is what ultimately put the nails in the coffin for that bike.

Going to keep an eye on Gas Gas and see they do in the up coming years, I might be back. :D

Last edited:
I change bikes too often to buy new!

My formula for buying used has always worked out well and given me the opportunity to try lots of bikes. I ONLY buy low hour, mostly stock bikes. I am patient and wait for the right bike to pop up. It's tempting to buy the blinged out bikes, but most I've looked at have been ridden pretty hard and you seem to end up with issues down the road.

But, I'm now at the point where I am only riding a 250/300 2-stroke. I am patiently waiting for the right opportunity to buy a new bike for the 1st time, but it's so tough to choose right now!

The $1000 off the '17 GasGas is very tempting, but with the all new '18 coming, I feel like there might be some regret.

My brother owns a Beta 250rr and I have the chance to ride it often and love that bike! But, I have been a GasGas guy for a long time.

I rode a '17 Husqvarna TE300 last Fall and great bike, but lots of little issues popping up as quality control on some of their items is slipping.

Choices, choices

The $1000 off the '17 GasGas is very tempting, but with the all new '18 coming, I feel like there might be some regret.

My brother owns a Beta 250rr and I have the chance to ride it often and love that bike! But, I have been a GasGas guy for a long time.

Choices, choices

I know what you mean about the choices. I'm glad I'm not in the market now. I think the '17 GG is gorgeous. However the '18 will be amazing, but not as pretty in my opinion. My big issue is that one of my best friends in NY has just become a Beta dealer. And I can get the best deal there.

The TM's are fantastic as are the Sherco's, but I won't go that far out, most likely. Unless my buddy becomes a dealer. I wish he'd be a GG dealer, but he' only part time and GG is really doing a great job with supporting their network and not using the smaller places. I'm actually going up there tomorrow for the weekend as he gets his first shipment of bikes today. We're putting them all together. Of course I'm taking the GG though to ride on his single track.

Either way no matter what I buy I'll offend somebody.:(

I will not buy KTHusky.

My local dealer stocks Beta and Gas Gas. A good riding mate has a Beta 300RR, another has a Sherco 300, Husaberg TE300, and every other man and his dog has a 300EXC.

I still like the ergo feel of the Gasser the best, but it's also what I'm used to. The GG and Beta both come in at the best price points here in Australia, and that's primarily what drives my direction. I'm not interested in paying premiums for a popular brand, unless if it offers something above the competition for the $$.

I'm interested to see the 18 GG. I like the looks of their race model. The KYB suspension is a huge step in the right direction, and I'd pay a premium for that alone!

On the other hand, I'm feeling drawn back towards Yamaha as well. Either YZ250FX or YZ250X would be close to perfect out of the crate, with the exception that I can't register it for the short transport sections every now and then when we need to run into a town for a refuel.

I guess it just depends on the seller. If the seller races the thing, no matter how well maintained it's going to have wear and tear. But if you can find an old man that just trail rides it like me, you can find some pretty good deals out there.

I guess it just depends on the seller. If the seller races the thing, no matter how well maintained it's going to have wear and tear. But if you can find an old man that just trail rides it like me, you can find some pretty good deals out there.

I don't think racing has much to do with the equation. More than enough clubman around that aren't overly hard on their machinery.

I think the whole point of the thread is to highlight that a used bike carries a large amount of unknown with it. It's a bit of a gamble!

Even brand spankers off the showroom have a certain percentage that have issues, but you are covered by warranty for manufactures defects. You don't get that with used machines. You also get an unknown amount of 'previous owner defects' or simple wear and tear.

You run risks with previous owners who have stripped nuts and bolts, poorly seated filters, unknown engine work/quality of workmanship. While there is a certain amount of things you can check when buying used, there is also a lot of things you often won't find until later on. Again, it's a bit of a gamble.

So when it's all done you just have to weigh up the value. Worst case scenario kind of deal. It also depends on where you are financially and what your intentions with the bike are.

With used bikes, I often think the seller tells more of the story than anything else. I'd be more inclined to buy some friends used bikes than others, some I wouldn't take for free, and used through dealers defeats the purpose as they inflate the price up and kill off any value!

Jakobi is correct about buying a used bike from someone that you know since they are going to be the best buy . They will not hide something from you ,but i do not have anyone else around me that rides GasGas . My best friend was on a TM kick till he bought his new YZ250 and now he is selling off his TM fleet . His bikes are in great shape but they are TM s so you would have to want one of them . I am brand loyal at this point and will be watching what the new KYB sprung Gassers look like .

Jakobi is correct about buying a used bike from someone that you know since they are going to be the best buy . They will not hide something from you ,but i do not have anyone else around me that rides GasGas . My best friend was on a TM kick till he bought his new YZ250 and now he is selling off his TM fleet . His bikes are in great shape but they are TM s so you would have to want one of them . I am brand loyal at this point and will be watching what the new KYB sprung Gassers look like .

I'd love to own a TM. I just don't want to maintain one with the limited availability of parts.

Back