2010 EC300 Factory Jetting Specs - WTF?

Yeah that's right as far as I've experienced, but sometimes it also won't rev up cleanly, like bogging. I wasn't getting any surging, but I wasn't steady on any throttle openings either.

Yeah that's right as far as I've experienced, but sometimes it also won't rev up cleanly, like bogging. I wasn't getting any surging, but I wasn't steady on any throttle openings either.

This is the tricky part. Identifying the difference between a lean hesitation and a rich bog. I trust your judgement though. Testing with the choke has partially confirmed your beliefs too! Hope you get that sweet thing singin! Be eager to hear the outcome as always!

Cheers Katoom!

The revs will slowly climb up if left at idle. It occassionally hangs just for a moment also. No leaks in the carb boot that I'm aware of and wouldn't be expected at such low hours. The bike will also continue to run with the air screw wound all but right in (only just).

What type of condition are these symptoms describing?

A overly lean condition at idle?

What type of condition are these symptoms describing?

A overly lean condition at idle?

Not an overly lean condition. I would say an idle that hangs and won't return unless either the choke is applied or a load is placed on the engine, which would then creep almost immediately back up is too lean. It is however a symptom of being a bit lean on the pilot circuit.

Depending on the day it can be just right, or just a bit off. Probably tunable with the air screw to a degree. May move back to the 40 pilot just to be safe.

I still feel the engine is not as crisp as it should be/was while running the needle on clip 2. The power is definately much more usable. I'd like to aim to be somewhere in between. The top end feels great either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gna-qYBkreE

I rode a friends 2011 electric start. 38mm carb. Immediately his sounded much smoother. Even at idle where my engine sounds like its clanging away a bit his was just silky smooth. Maybe be the difference in pipe/pipeguard/bashplate. His felt much less vibey than mine also. Power was more torque like off the bottom and into the mid. No bog anywhere but didnt feel nearly as racy or strong while on the pipe. Unfortunately he couldn't tell me too much about what he is using (one needle leaner than stock, one clip higher) and a 35 pilot.

I posted this in another thread Jakobi started. Something was off in my previous testing, but here is where I am with the N3EJ needle:

N3EJ-2
40p
180m
a/s - 1/75

BelRay H1R @ 50:1
65F
300ft

This runs really crisp mid to top and comes off the bottom with good power. It still blows a slight hint of smoke up to 1/4 throttle, but this is a pretty good setting. I have to try a 38p next, as it wants to bog at times right off bottom. This is the mode ride-able setting I've had yet.

With the idle as low as I can get it the a/s seems to do nothing. I just set it for where it seems to rev the best. Anyone else having this issue?

See the vid? Can you even hear the 300 over the 530 in front?? Seems to pull strong enough up top!! :eek:

Just watched it. It definitely sounds clean and crisp, quick to rev. That is with N3CH-2 right?

Find out what your friend has in there.

Yes thats the N3CH#2. I will email him after work and see if I can get some more information. I must admit his bike didn't feel nearly as good/fun to ride as mine. Just lifted the front off idle more easily. His engine vibrated alot less than mine aswell.

Thats the other thing. The leaner jetting vibes less. Want me to do some video of my test runs with different needles/clips for everyone elses benefit?

If your up to it hearing it is good. Just don't do them with your bud on the 530. :D

Mine vibrates a bit as well and I've noticed the same thing - the richer the more vibrating. I'm going to try the 38p with my current N3EJ settings.

If your up to it hearing it is good. Just don't do them with your bud on the 530. :D

Mine vibrates a bit as well and I've noticed the same thing - the richer the more vibrating. I'm going to try the 38p with my current N3EJ settings.

Give me a few days and I'll get a full pulls done on my days off.

I'll probably do N3CH#1 as thats whats in there.
Then N3EJ#3, #2, #1 if it feels safe.

I'm confident the main and pilot are good for where I am and this range of needles.

Keep us posted. I may play around more today if it stops raining.

You've got a lot more hours playing with this thing than I do and I'm already on overload. I just started a spreadsheet to document my tests. I'm thinking this is going to have too many permutations to ever keep straight without written documentation. :D

2010 300

Still using my settings from a couple weeks ago: 40, N3CH #2, 180 and 1.75. I just have not had time to change and test being that I have been spending all of my free time on my wife's new 200.

Riding 40'-70' F, 4000-7000 altitude.

Mid range is great, however the bike is a little less torquey off the bottom then I would have expected from a 300.

I am considering a couple different jetting options to improve the bottom end, what do you think?

1) Switch from a 40 Pilot to a 38

2) Install a N3EH so that I can get it a 1/2 clip leaner (not sure if this would improve the bottom end)

On a side note, I am somewhat certain that my main (180) is too fat, it just doesnt pull like I thought a 300 would.......my wife's 200 screams on the revs, mine just kinda slowly accelerates.

They usually make good torque off the bottom even if a shade fat. A little lean and they tend to go flat. If its not obviously rich off the bottom I'd try leaner not richer and test. Its almost summer now so things are changing. 180 is likely one or two fat for a 300, but it still won't rev like a 200.

They usually make good torque off the bottom even if a shade fat. A little lean and they tend to go flat. If its not obviously rich off the bottom I'd try leaner not richer and test. Its almost summer now so things are changing. 180 is likely one or two fat for a 300, but it still won't rev like a 200.

My bad: Not looking for it to rev like a 200, but it should produce as much HP/pull if not more, my 300 is just a little flat on top.

Will give a 178 a try....... hopefully in 10 days :)

temps trump altitude

took my 300 up to the eastern sierra to play in some sand and snow mix - temps were barely in the 40s, generally around 5000' asl.

my sea level setup is: 40 pilot, 2 turns out on air screw, N3CH #3, 178 main.

noticed as soon as i got the bike warmed up off the truck there was a big bog off idle, just a giant hole where the fun used to be. thinking to myself "aha, must be the altitude making it too rich", i started going down in pilot size. 38, then 35. then i dropped the needle a clip. all of which made it progressively worse, to the point where the bike would stall when i cracked the throttle in slow going. doing my best tea-leaf palm reader impression, i checked the plug each time, and it was dark brown, verging on sooty.

then, riding it around the block one more time while my riding buddy went back inside to watch tv since he was sick of standing around in the cold while i made his front yard smell like gasoline, i pulled the choke on. whammo! instant horsepower. the fun was back.

ended up going to a 42 pilot, 1.5 turns out on the air screw. put the needle back at #3, roosted the hell out of everything all weekend long.

lesson learned. i am not very smart. and a 30 degree drop in temperature will trump a 4000' increase in altitude.

took my 300 up to the eastern sierra to play in some sand and snow mix - temps were barely in the 40s, generally around 5000' asl.

my sea level setup is: 40 pilot, 2 turns out on air screw, N3CH #3, 178 main.

noticed as soon as i got the bike warmed up off the truck there was a big bog off idle, just a giant hole where the fun used to be. thinking to myself "aha, must be the altitude making it too rich", i started going down in pilot size. 38, then 35. then i dropped the needle a clip. all of which made it progressively worse, to the point where the bike would stall when i cracked the throttle in slow going. doing my best tea-leaf palm reader impression, i checked the plug each time, and it was dark brown, verging on sooty.

then, riding it around the block one more time while my riding buddy went back inside to watch tv since he was sick of standing around in the cold while i made his front yard smell like gasoline, i pulled the choke on. whammo! instant horsepower. the fun was back.

ended up going to a 42 pilot, 1.5 turns out on the air screw. put the needle back at #3, roosted the hell out of everything all weekend long.

lesson learned. i am not very smart. and a 30 degree drop in temperature will trump a 4000' increase in altitude.

Be aware that when making jetting changes to pull the choke a few times after upr rotate the carb back and secure it. I have noticed sometimes it can pull the plunger up and it stays. Will make it super rich.

I found out taking N3CH#1 is far too lean. Pings under load and basically just has no balls. Drop it back to #2 and I get the a little bit of 4 stroking at times, but mostly all fun!

I need my N3EW to run in clip 2 with a 38 pilot! Wicked!

When I spin my carb to get to the bowl drain plug for jetting changes it stretches the choke able just enough to pop it out of the seat. I too have made part of the ritual re-seating the choke cable and operating it a few times to make sure it is free.

As much as I like the lever up top I'm going to install the knob on the carb and ditch the cable. Got one in from CarbParts and it's going on. I'll miss it for testing, but I don't ride in the desert or spend lots of time in the top end, so I'm converting.

You guys have a cable! I just reach down to the carb and tickle the choke when I am warming up the bike.

I got my Aktive reeds for the CR250 reed cage today. I will report back later with the findings.

You guys have a cable! I just reach down to the carb and tickle the choke when I am warming up the bike.

I got my Aktive reeds for the CR250 reed cage today. I will report back later with the findings.

same boat here. no cable, simple plunger. i have had an aversion to cable operated chokes since having one on a suzuki 50 when i was 11...

I hope they scrap that on the '12s, and put the coin to something actually useful, like a longer throttle cable.

Back