2010 Gas Gas Six Days 300 (Help)

I will be watching this thread closely to see what the outcome is.
I am seriously considering buying a new 2011 gg300.
If GasGas does not step up and do something I guess I will just go ahead and get another KTM.

Hope it turns out ok.

My money is on the bike having a 200cc pipe on it.

BTW, it is impossible to diagnose a bike on these forums.

PV Inspection

Yes we removed the PV cover started the bike and watched the PV actuate from what I would refer to as a cam lobe on the end of the PV shaft. We pulled the clutch case cover and cylinder to make sure the push rod was not touching or binding. We slightly bent the push PV push rod to insure there was no touching. Inspected the casting on the cylinder, engine case and case cover for slag none found. At one time raw fuel was being pushed out on the ignition side and the spark plug was black and wet.

Now that I have the bike back the idle will not stay the same. It starts on the first kick and idles lets say at about 1000-1200rpm's and then suddenly drops to about 500rpm's. Its difficult to give you an acurate rpm because the tack has never worked from day one, I ve checked the connections but it doesn't work. The 2011 I rode and my friend's tack work on their bikes but this is the least of my worries at the time,

200 pipe

Nope gasgasman, the pipe was replaced along with the muffler. I am telling you guys I have done it all twice. Jeff I have been riding KTM for the past 13 years with no problems but for some crazy reason I switched brands and this has been my first enduro GG, what a nightmare. I have some friends who praise them and I joined the forum before my purchase to make sure I was doing the right thing, I even called Go Fasters and discussed with them what they would recommend. To pour salt in the wound, the guy I sold my 2008 KTM 250xc to beat me Sunday at the enduro, I tried to trade him even and he said no way. I even thought I would sand bag

I have an 08 300xcw motor I am selling, maybe you can figure out how to put it in the gasgas and then you will have a bike that handles well and runs well.

When you rode the 11 model withe the estart what did you think of it compared to your 08 250xc?

I would like to know just in case gasgas steps up and fixes your bike. If not I have to decide between a new KTM 300xc or the new 350sxf. I am keeping my current 300xc for a while as well.

The 2011 Jeff

The 2011 done well, I don't think the 2011 I had will be the same as the U.S. production bikes, I believe the suspension will be different. I ride alot of single track so the EC transmission worked better for me rather than the XC tranny. A couple friends have the XC tranny and they had to go up to a 50 tooth sprocket on the back but with the EC the 48 done fine for me. The bikes handle very well as far as turning and everything. The 300 would turn as good as my 200 KTM and better than my 250. The power is really good if your lucky enough to get one that runs well. There is a significant difference between the sunny and rainy day switch. I had the same switch on my KTM but I couldn't tell the differnce but with the GG its very noticable. Two of my friends have have brand new 2010 300's that I jetted personally and they run awsome. I believe its a combination of motor and carburation

i gotta put my 2 cents in here, i know this is a horrible situation for you and ive been following you from the begining, i feel horrible for you and can only imagine how frustrated you are but because youve never had a problem with ktm do you really believe no one has had a very bad experience with ktm? ive heard horrible things from many companies(most of which dont even have a warranty and would have left you long ago.) im not trying to justify the fact that they wont ship you a new motor but by no means do i think this event is an accurate representation of the company and its bikes. ive just had a very bad failure with my nambotin and there doing everything they can to fix it. i enjoy this bike more than any other bike i could put in its place(including ktm). but i do realize that out of all the bikes a company produces, there are going to be a flaw here and there. again by no means am i saying your situation is in anyway acceptable but i luv my gasgas and i too have some serious issues to work threw but i know this is a good solid brand that in know way is inferior in quailty to a ktm i just was very unlucky, like many other brand owners in the past have been.

Did the Six Days originally come as a homolgated unit? I've seen the restrictor plates in the intakes and exhaust and those would be enough to choke anything off.

I'd also want to check the integrity of every wire in the harness, including the grounds. The previous notes regarding the connectors were good advice as well. The uneven idle sounds like it may be related to air leakage, but ... the best post was the one that said it's impossible to diagnose a problem over the chat room.

Your problem is likely going to be resolved, and when it is it will be a small consolation to the headaches you've experienced. For perspective though you could have bought a Husky 125 instead and been chasing jetting and bog troubles, or a Kawasaki 250F and been wondering why you've got 9 gears in the tranny, or had a piston crown snap off in a KTM ... Check out KTM Talk or CafeHusky or ThumperTalk to see what other bikes and brands have issues.

These forums are great because they allow the free exchange of ideas and information, but they tend to magnify problems too. Hopefully we'll all be reading about how satisfied you are with your bike and the people that helped make it right in a very short while.

If you're convinced your bike is not going to work, maybe I can work out a deal with you on a new XC300 ... something to think about.

This man needs a replacement bike plain and simple, and they should step up and give him a 2011 for all the b.s. he has had to endure. This needs to niped in the bud asap! Issues like this with a smaller company with a loyal customer backing a little known brand in the U.S. with sparse local support in most areas has to show a sign that they are willing to operate on a good faith basis and take care of buisness in a timely manor. Yes i know that all manufactures big and small have product issues from time to time. What seperates the good from the bad are how the bad situations are resolved. It is time for a little damage control and to do right by the customer.

I agree that the issue needs to be resolved. New bike, new motor, whatever it takes. This is assuming the info we have been given is accurate.

As of now I have no reason to believe it is not.

I know other brands have problems as well.

For example I have seen KTM replace motors (144's) several times.

As I said before I hope this all ends really well. Things like this can sure hurt a small brand that seems to be on its way up.

Just so you guys know, this will be taken care of. I have asked Shawn to meet me near Asheville, NC later today and I will get the bike from him. We will either fix it or replace it.
Clay

Way to go clay I'm stoked for him to see what his bike should have been like and why he made the right choice with the gasser!

Good to see the commitment to get this sorted out.

When I look at the list of replaced parts, the only thing not changed was the flywheel. If the flywheel magnets were weak, the primary ignition winding would not get enough excitation. The reduced voltage would carry through the system and the spark would not be strong enough at high RPM.

The system goes something like this: primary winding ~200v, CDI ~400v, ignition coil ~40,000v

If the wiring from the ignition winding does not connect directly at the CDI, the intermediate wire could be suspect. Sometimes too many strands are torn away when the wire is stripped. I have also found broken strands inside what looks to be a perfectly good piece of wire.

I find this puzzling, but maybe I don't understand the context:

At one time raw fuel was being pushed out on the ignition side and the spark plug was black and wet.

Now that I have the bike back the idle will not stay the same. It starts on the first kick and idles lets say at about 1000-1200rpm's and then suddenly drops to about 500rpm's. Its difficult to give you an acurate rpm because the tack has never worked from day one, I ve checked the connections but it doesn't work. The 2011 I rode and my friend's tack work on their bikes but this is the least of my worries at the time,

What does "raw fuel be pushed out the ignition side" mean? is it getting past the left side seal? If so, then air is leaking out and being sucked in.

This would also cause idle difficulties/variations.

W/O details, it is confusing. But, at WOT, the pressures will be higher, and therefore more likely to screw up a potentially bad seal.

Tach not working subtly points to an ignition issue or a bad bike computer. One poster talked about checking ignition advance function. I don't remember if that has been verified.

I'd love to tear into this one by starting from the basics, and seeing where it goes. I'd even write a sweet report once the problem was solved.

Props go to gasgas for taking care of this. I would have hated for my bike to have been like this.

Sounds like the bike should be donated to a mechanics school to teach new mechanics, or maybe a contest to see who fixes it .

I find this puzzling, but maybe I don't understand the context: At one time raw fuel was being pushed out on the ignition side and the spark plug was black and wet.

I would wonder which way the ignition side oil seal was installed. Is the spring side pointing away from the crankcase? A large amount of unburned fuel in the crankcase would increase the crankcase pressure before the transfer ports opened. If high enough, some mixture could be pushed past the seal.

Hope this gets wrapped up...

for this guy. Time for him to do some riding!
Quite frankly, I'd like to see this resolved because, well, it should be, and selfishly I was a little concerned because I'm looking at a 2011 and there are no dealers near me- so this scenario concerns me.
If I have the kind of issue(s) he did/does...... I am completely and literally screwed- that concerns me... a lot.
So- the way GG (on their level) handles this is a big deal to me.
Nice to see Clay work toward getting this resolved.... finally.
Regarding the mention about all bikes having issues, etc- well all know that's the case & we also know that the internet makes things seem worse than they are... all that said, this guy seemed to never stop supporting GG and seemed committed to working with the dealer/GG to get this resolved.
That's a lot of brand loyalty on his part, and I hope it comes back to him.

Great to hear that Clay is stepping up to take care of a customer, I am looking forward to getting a demo ride on a new 300 and maybe adding it to my collection.

Back