450 Enduro wont start / no spark

Vinny

Hi. Hope someone can help me on the right direction.

I have a GG450 enduro that just stopped running on the trail. It was running perfect for 3 hard days and then it just stalled. I tought it might overheated or flooded so waited for a while. When it didnt start then, I took of the tank and got to the spark plug wire. Pushed the starter w/ the wire off and checked w/ omhs meter.....nothing / no power.
Any ideas ?? Is there a computer or something that I should look into ??

Thanks. Vinny.
Austin, Tx

Main relays have been know to be a problem, not a properly sealed component for the application. This same thing plagued Cannondales as well, with he exact same symptoms. Could be a cheap fix.

I'll move this thread to the 4-stroke forum.

Check the wiring loom and connectors behind headlight.They're a dnf just waiting to happen.I've solderd mine solid and shrinkwrapped them to remove any doubt.Automotive conectors on a dirt bike is just plain crap.Also check engine kill switch etc.
Good luck.

Check out the ignition switch as well. I seem to remember Nick (site sponsor here) had a problem with his when were out riding.

Ignition is good // wires are hooked up // only found one fuse, it was ok.

??:confused:

Check the fuses in the electrical compartment. It's on the right side of the bike (looking from behind it) behind the plastic underneath the seat and over exhaust. I had this same problem and it was the red 10amp fuse that blew.

Good luck and let me know.

Crankin04

Check the fuses in the electrical compartment. It's on the right side of the bike (looking from behind it) behind the plastic underneath the seat and over exhaust. I had this same problem and it was the red 10amp fuse that blew.

Good luck and let me know.

Crankin04

Its now at the dealer. fuses on R side by exhaust checked....they are ok.
Now what ? Frustrated:confused:

TJ cycle / austin, tx

Now my dealer is frustrated. They have checked all the wiring and obvious stuff.....no results.
They dont have a diagnosis computer; should they ?

It seems to me that if you are a dealer the equipment required to do your job should be available .

Does the GG 450 have a port to hook up a computer diagnosis ??

You said that the issue is no spark and the fuses are all ok?

You can only check backwards from the plug. Is power getting to the coil if it is then check ECU is being powered up and that it is getting inputs from sensors such as crank position if it is then it's the ECU and you need to find one to swap to check it.

Now my dealer is frustrated. They have checked all the wiring and obvious stuff.....no results.
They dont have a diagnosis computer; should they ?

It seems to me that if you are a dealer the equipment required to do your job should be available .

Does the GG 450 have a port to hook up a computer diagnosis ??

yes their is a ECU diagnostic program called the Technoresearch VDST Software. Look it up here:

http://www.technoresearch.com/Products/VDSTS-Motorbike/VDSTS_Motorbike_Features.htm

It's $200, and you should just buy it yourself or convince your dealer to get this.

Good luck!

Crankin04

Here's a test to check pickup coil circuit: turn ignition on, wait for pump to stop. Slowly kick engine over, pump should start again when flywheel passes pickup point.

And there is no separate cdi, it is all handled within ecu/computer.

How much for ECU / computer ? Where ?

Here's a test to check pickup coil circuit: turn ignition on, wait for pump to stop. Slowly kick engine over, pump should start again when flywheel passes pickup point.

And there is no separate cdi, it is all handled within ecu/computer.

Thanks. I'll pass that test on today.

If it is the ECU / computer where do I get one / how much ?

Thanks
Vinny.

I had a problem on my 450 once, when starter motor just used too much power, leaving the voltage across battery terminals as low as 9 volts when cranking. This turned out to be below the lowest operating voltage of the ECU, and it was not working. As a result, there was no spark when cranking the engine with starter motor.

However, when cranked using the kick start, I got a good spark, and bike would start just fine.

Try hooking it up to a car battery.

I had a problem on my 450 once, when starter motor just used too much power, leaving the voltage across battery terminals as low as 9 volts when cranking. This turned out to be below the lowest operating voltage of the ECU, and it was not working. As a result, there was no spark when cranking the engine with starter motor.

However, when cranked using the kick start, I got a good spark, and bike would start just fine.

Try hooking it up to a car battery.

It would be great if its that easy. I'll pass it on to the dealer.

Any ideas of where to get a used ECU / computer for a 450 ?? $ 600 is above my pay grade:(

Back