84 RM 250 E Ground UP Full Restoration

Sorry for the delay, I got busy at work. I have been making some progress.

Do you think the chain guide block was worn out?:D

Scv0e3om.jpg

Another bolt was sheared in half by the chain.
ZBWJgYLm.jpg

Everything else looked good just a little dirty.

QYbBYPNm.jpg

The four rear suspension link spherical bearings were retained by steel circlips. They were very oxidized and difficult to remove. I had to compress the spherical bearing with a socket in a bench vice into one circlip to get enough clearance to remove the the circlip on the other side.

kzftG4rm.jpg

TQ19xybm.jpg

You need these to pry out the circlips.

DYTJYz2m.jpg

There were eight of these circlips to remove.

fXKGNZ8m.jpg

I just received a new oem Suzuki .025 piston and one of my crank bearings arrived as well.

pGTWSmpm.jpg

7vtAMRhm.jpg

UNBQMxQm.jpg

VQmDJXYm.jpg

Here is a pic of the rubber mounted triple clamps. The stock bars were original but had been tweaked hard. Anybody got a recommendation on a bar bend? Does anybody know what the renthal bar bend is on the new 2018 XC Gassers?

MhoKZmGm.jpg

Last edited:
Still Working

I just left a lot of parts at the powdercoaters. I am trying finish up some other things.

I need some help finding the 4 spherical bearings that go in the two rear pushrods.

TQ19xybm.jpg

These are 10mm wide, 21 OD and 10 ID.

39pfgyUm.jpg

Also, the top steering head bearing has ball bearings with a top and bottom section, and the ID on each section is different(to mate with a bulge in the steering stem). I suppose there is no way to substitute a tapered bearing now.

J9bVOkjm.jpg

bnOxPgem.jpg

Last edited:
removing Steering Stem Races

This is the top steering stem, is this a removable race or machined part of the frame. The multi piece bearing above(pictured in previous post) and below, fits this top of the steering stem.

9bRTDOom.jpg

This is what the top bearing looked like before I removed it.

oQAJLWhm.jpg

dMgkZA6m.jpg

The bottom race is normal and I removed it without a problem.
Rgp5KZ8m.jpg

LocVpTlm.jpg

MjeFJf8m.jpg

Progress

I left my parts with a local powdercoater and after two weeks of the continual run around I went and picked up my parts that were sitting in the same pile in the shop floor where I had left them two weeks ago.

I am shipping my parts to my old powdercoater.He does a great job but the shipping is a little expensive.

This is what a bike looks like in a box.
SZIMpFPm.jpg

mIBOE1vm.jpg

Engine cases bubble wrapped and boxed up.
C39h98Rm.jpg

Hubs, cylinder and other pieces.
9ekiQIJm.jpg

Here is a picture of the oem silencer. It was very oxidized, I cleaned it up a bit with a wire wheel. (Always wear respiratory protection) I am going to have it and the radiators anodized.

nS4aUr8m.jpg

The 34 year old radiators don't look too bad.

OwKCtvWm.jpg

Some more parts coming in bit by bit.I picked up some used protapers.
2Htm5pIm.jpg

MxFbC7km.jpg

The Oem triples are rubber mounted, and when I disassembled the triples the rubber cones looked like new.

RjWvRwrm.jpg

zi1azoxm.jpg

KPEeqRcm.jpg

96-02 RM 250 Footpegs mounted on 84 RM 250.

I saw this listed on another forum without much detail so I though I would see if it would work because the stock 84 footpegs are very narrow. So, I pulled my frame out of my shipping box so I could drill out the peg mount holes before having the frame powder coated.

These are the stock pegs.

8JwZDoMm.jpg

These are the 98 RM 250 pegs with pins and springs.

5nUFOr9m.jpg

The pins are bigger on the 98 so you have to drill out the holes on the frame to 9.5mm which is a 3/8 inch drill bit. I used carbide bit and a Milwaukee hammer drill at super slow speed. You have to maintain pressure on the drill but barely rotate the bit, as long as you are getting long chunks of metal you are doing fine but if you are just getting metal dust, you are going too fast and you will ruin the bit.

It took me about 6 minutes per each peg mount. Afterwards, the pins fit perfectly.

vQpxWEfm.jpg

KUFyhbym.jpg

Pegs bolted right up but I did have to file the brake side a little to clear a frame weld.

XE30RDOm.jpg

84 RM 250 peg and 98 RM 250 peg
Q2BghbMm.jpg

Question why use a carbide bit on steel? Only bit you had??

I bought a drill press and a bit set. I know you are not supposed to use a carbide bit with a hand held drill or tool but I had trouble drilling the 1st hole out with a cobalt bit(maybe too fast rotation). I didn’t have any problem with the carbide bit. I suppose if you go slow and use lubrication to control the heat then HSS or Cobalt would work without any problem at all.

Last edited:
Update

Big stuff is still at the powdercoaters. I just cleaned up some stuff to have it cad plated.

Here is the stuff after cleanup waiting to be cad plated.
IwonfPBm.jpg

It took a while to get off all the rust
jHsqavTm.jpg

F7z4iE2m.jpg

I had to use a mini sledge to get the rear axle out. I thought it was impossible to clean up the threads. I bought a Snap On Thread Chaser RD7-18 which is a M16-1.50 thread pitch. It worked!

p5G9C30m.jpg

R4cl0Dnm.jpg

ke7HA9om.jpg

2aHMTvum.jpg

Back