94 CR 250 Ground Up Restoration IMS Wide Ratio Transmission Issue

I see photobucket screwed your pics over as well. Someone on here mentioned its like $400 to allow 3rd party posting. I hope Photobucket takes it in the rear over it.

I really enjoyed your build and I hope you can find a way to keep the pics coming.

I see photobucket screwed your pics over as well. Someone on here mentioned its like $400 to allow 3rd party posting. I hope Photobucket takes it in the rear over it.

I really enjoyed your build and I hope you can find a way to keep the pics coming.

I just saw that about the pictures. In the last few months photobucket has become progressively more coercive trying to squeeze money out of people. Does anybody have a recommendation for another site to host the photos?

Engine Build Continues

This is the cases together with the wide ratio transmission installed.
Hi4qVjQl.jpg

XKg2P5Fl.jpg

Last photo of the IMS wide ratio before joining the cases together.
WiGqU0pl.jpg

Crank and gears turn smooth and quiet.
glfIPAKl.jpg

egxgmq7l.jpg

BITeBpvl.jpg

SPFPUxVl.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you got the bottom end together. I know you want to get this done and ride it. So are you trying to get it fired up this weekend??

Glad to see you got the bottom end together. I know you want to get this done and ride it. So are you trying to get it fired up this weekend??

Definitely maybe..lol. My last batch of Honda parts should be here on Friday. I got stuck because one of the powervalve shaft bushings that fits in the top of the case was damaged so I ordered a new one with some clutch components. Everything should go very fast now.

So what was the issue with the gearbox? Assembly order?

Hi Neil,

Yes, there was a typographical error in the IMS instructions. IMS sent me the corrected instructions and everything went together without a problem.
The new IMS instructions are on the right. Look at the two black marks and those gears were mislabeled on the original IMS instructions. I'll try to post a better picture later today.
Hi4qVjQl.jpg

The Rekluse kit came with these new steel U wedges that clip into the clutch basket. In the above photo you can see the steel wedges pressed into the new recluse basket. Sorry the pictures are so huge, I am still learning how to post from Imgur.

Last edited:
Engine Assembly on the Beast.

Honda has specific depth specifications for the crank seals. On this side the seal must be 2mm below the crank case surface so a case splitting tool is used to set the seal depth, Per Dogger315.

PxPmFpnl.jpg

This is the cases before the clutch install with the spacer and bearing installed.
eQrYmHOl.jpg

New recluse clutch basket.
mCz3pAql.jpg

Lt7N0kRl.jpg

New washer for the retaining nut.
UCodUGbl.jpg

boqAFtol.jpg
These are the new Rekluse steel wedges for the clutch basket.

RBNNhq5l.jpg

Steel wedges installed in the clutch basket.
s4ikyxLl.jpg

New Honda inner clutch and pressure plate.

HeHFEiXl.jpg

Clutch holding tool.
Z8W9IgGl.jpg

Clutch nut torqued to spec.
fuKzjJ3l.jpg

Boyesen Super Cooler

Right side case cover and Super Cooler assembly and Boyesen impeller installed. The impeller screwed onto the Honda pump assembly but be careful, the nut cast into the impeller is a std size and not metric, don't ask me why?:confused:

RaTJegJl.jpg

Super cooler mounted up. The cooler comes with its own gasket, so the two Honda gaskets with the metal separator plate are not used. Also, the kit comes with a black rubber cover and hose clamp that shut off the stock Honda return line.

dJEOZ46l.jpg

Power Valve Pinion Cavity Probe to Air Leaks?

I am getting ready to install the top end tomorrow. In the photo above you can see the lower power valve shaft in the corner of the case surrounded by a cavity. I have installed new bushings on each of the pinion shafts for the power valve actuation mechanism. I have read that there can be a air leak through the power valve pinion cavity unless the cavity is packed with moly 60. Is this correct?

Here is a photo from another site with the proposed fix.

86xcH7Fl.jpg

Last edited:
CR 250 Wide Ratio

Ok, I got a lot done this weekend. This is where I started on Friday night.
zqgpoLKl.jpg

I used an 18mm Bux Tool to install the circlips in the Wossner B piston. Its takes about 45 seconds per side, this tool is awesome!
sYFkRFTl.jpg

GxRQlcLl.jpg

JHP3gnhl.jpg

The barrel went on without any problems, I set the ring end gap at .4mm.

3zcMEcyl.jpg

Per Dogger, I preloaded power valve at .5mm.
Io359O2l.jpg

I installed a new Honda oem head. I did not have it milled yet because I wanted to see how it runs in the stock configuration.
HRcgmaQl.jpg

7ecowfFl.jpg

Head torqued down to Honda specs.

bJUwVcjl.jpg

Countershaft installed with cad plated washer and new oem bolt. I used a clutch holder to secure the countershaft as I torqued it down to spec.

xmKjmd5l.jpg

Engine ready for install into the frame.

78jTkxPl.jpg

Motor in the frame.

egUtrjLl.jpg

R9zG1vel.jpg

New Honda OEM radiator cap.

3ZsA0yrl.jpg

YZ450F rear brake pedal fit great but the stock return spring won't clear the case, I need to find an alternative.

FLWpaAMl.jpg

DzjbF7Kl.jpg

UmHQBqLl.jpg

Back