94 CR 250 Ground Up Restoration IMS Wide Ratio Transmission Issue

New RK Oring chain. I an running a 13/51 Renthal sprocket set and I ordered a 120 link chain. I used a chain breaker to remove about 3 links and I used a chain press to install the new master link. The TM designworks chain guide is wide enough for the oring chain but the stock chain guide is too narrow.
fGF71q3l.jpg

Bh5jz5fl.jpg

I have a case saver ordered, it should be here on Wednesday. MSR folding shifter fit perfectly. Those are titanium footpegs from a YZF.

bzQDIbBl.jpg

I used Oetikier clamps on the cooling hoses, they were very easy to install. I installed the power valve cover with a new oem Honda gasket and some cad bolts, then torqued to spec.

1GfDeITl.jpg

keo0hKSl.jpg

pASRIT1l.jpg

Through the build I used a vet syringe with a brake line fitting to apply Redline assembly lube to each bolt, nut or landing to ensure my torque specs were accurate. The syringe makes application a breeze, keeps things tidy and avoids wasting the assembly lube. I think I could assembly three bikes with one bottle of lube using this method. The lube makes everything go much faster during assembly.

eRcFxiHl.jpg

0VudgBxl.jpg

I filled the engine with synthetic transmission fluid and filled the radiators with coolant. I did a preliminary adjustment of the Recluse Auto Clutch with the Torque Drive Plate System. I still need to install the carb and pipe and tie up come loose ends, then we can begin the setup. And here is where I am so far.

I3E72hKl.jpg

lMUIhg8l.jpg

cB6R0hgl.jpg

bvRbJkPl.jpg

8kNtjRml.jpg

YZ450F rear brake pedal fit great but the stock return spring won't clear the case, I need to find an alternative.

A good friend of mine uses a small block chevy valve spring on the clevis (between the clevis and the master cylinder) as a return spring. Maybe find a small diameter and firm compression spring to wind around the clevis bolt?

A good friend of mine uses a small block chevy valve spring on the clevis (between the clevis and the master cylinder) as a return spring. Maybe find a small diameter and firm compression spring to wind around the clevis bolt?

Hey, I never thought about that, it's a great idea! Thanks very much!:D

92-2001 CR250 Power Valve Air Leak Fix

The 92-2001 Cr250 power valve linkage system is very different form the GasGas system. I think the GasGas system is a simpler more effective design. The last time that I did the top end on my gasser I did a leak test as well. The gasser did not drop psi hardly at all over 25 plus minutes. The Hondas are prone to airleaks at the powervalve shaft because there are only metal shafts and metal bushings and no rubber seals at all. The standard for Hondas is if the engine only drops 1 psi in 6 minutes it is deemed good to go. I didn't feel comfortable with that at all.

I just tried this fix that I found on another forum by member T-Roy. I just finished my 94 CR 250 and I applied moly to the exhaust valve shafts and I packed the case cavities and installed new shaft bushings as well.

I checked my tool for leaks before the test. I performed a leak down test and I had leak. I applied soapy water to the head gasket, base gasket, intake gasket, power valve gasket, left and right main seal seals and both mechanical plugs that I used to seal the exhaust and intake. Not a single bubble, everything was torqued to spec and tight as a drum.

I then removed the main clutch cover and applied some soapy water to the lower power valve shaft in the crankcase. Bang! That was the leak. The soap bubble was about as big as a nickel then it would expand to the size of a quarter. I could pop the bubble and another one would form immediately.

Ok, here is the fix per T-Roy that does NOT require you to remove the cylinder. Remove the power valve cover, remove the spring clip(the one that goes through the hole in the top of the shaft.), remove the drive pinion(arm at top of vertical shaft), remove the spring, the bushing and the linkage.

Install a 6.8 mm oring.(Harbour Freight Kit see below for details.)Then slide the oring to the bottom of the shaft, reinstall the bushing, spring, drive pinion and spring clip. You may need to lift the top of the shaft with some needle nose pliers to get the spring clip to slide through the hole in the shaft. Push down a little on the pinion to press the whole assembly and put a slight pressure on the oring. Readjust your powervalve including .5mm preload on the spring per Dogger. UPDATE: I haven't had any problem but I going a add a Viton (High Heat Resistence 400F) Oring and I will post an update later. Available at Carr-McMaster and EBay.

I put some extra moly into the oring and the bottom of the bushing. Here is what it looks like before reinstalling the pv parts. Per Dogger these engines should only drop 1 psi in 6 minutes. I retested mine after installing the oring. My engine only dropped 1 psi in 24 minutes!

k0IWisYl.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to post here the other day. Was researching leak down testers etc and stumbled across the same info and thought of this thread! Glad you found and implemented it!

Back