Beta Smoker

GasGas is getting left behind with their 20 year old motor.

RR2T_2013_web.jpg

They need to do what Ducati did to the 1100 DS motor, same basic design moved to vacuum/diecast. Saved a lot of weight and less secondary machining. There is a lot to be said for the heavier durable sand cast motor but the weight scares people off.

I think it is not only about the weight, GG did a lot things wrong in the last year and the new Beta's are very sexy :D

No argument there. Its not clear how they interfaced the estart, just that its under the engine. I would think its integrated (wet interface) in a new design. Nice.

The engine looks verry nice. Like its taken elements of the gasser and the ktms and rolled the benefits of both into one engine.

All remember though its still BRAND NEW. So who is first? I'd want to see some time on production units and a parts supply established in the US before I took the plunge. Gotta give them credit though, a new 2stroke.;)

All remember though its still BRAND NEW. So who is first? I'd want to see some time on production units and a parts supply established in the US before I took the plunge. Gotta give them credit though, a new 2stroke.;)

I'm waiting to see Shercos offerings too. They both have pretty substantial 2T experience in their history so its not all new to them, but I do agree. The first models always highlight where there is room for improvement and any inherant issues.

8L tank doesn't cut the mustard for a 2T either. Sprung 4.8 front and back stock.

I will say that the Beta parts supply has been stellar. Build quility is topnotch as well.

Interesting to see they produced it since they gave dealers little info leading to the intro. I love the four-stroke's they make and can't wait to see and ride the two-strokes. I'am sure there will be bugs to work out but should be exciting.

Carb access on most bikes is miserable. Look at a KTM, you can barely see the cylinder from the left side. We are just lucky.

Edit:

Looking at the pics it doesn't look bad at all. Also, you can see the rear of the starter motor on the right side. On the left you can see the ignition cover extended on the bottom, so maybe it is just another dry interface unless they run a wet ignition. That would be a first.

Carb access looks pretty easy to me. It is also pretty easy on a KTM. And if you do need to remove the tank it is very quick and simple. I can usually work on my Gasser or KTM trail side without removing the tank though. Looks like the Beta has lots of extra room for a larger tank. They left lots of space where the Gasser tank drops down. I like to have enough for a 2 hour race but most of the time I prefer a smallish tank. Where we normally ride we do not get more than a few miles from the trucks. I use the big tank when we ride Colorado. I notice they are using 36mm carbs which should jet leaner than a 38 and get better mpg.

Yeah, certainly looks like opportunity for more fuel in a creative tank design. I avoid trail side jetting as much as possible here, as there is almost always some mud to get in where it should not be.

Back