Crank drain bolt - what is correct procedure

Jaluka

hello all

please could you advise a new GG 300 convert? :confused:

I have read threads about the useful crank case drain bolt that my bike has. I have drilled an access hole through my bash plate so that it can be easily accessed in the field should I happen to drown the bike in a water crossing.

What actually happens when the bolt is removed? (on a drowned bike) Will it drain the engine oil or only water that has been sucked in? If so will it be water trapped above the piston in the combustion chamber?

If so, what is the full procedure please? I assume you:

1. remove/dry the air filter
2. drain carby float bowl
3. undo crank bolt
4. remove spark plug
5. kick motor over several times
6. replace dry spark plug
7. replace crank bolt
8. start engine and ride
9. do oil change as soon as possible

Is there any need to turn bike upside down to drain still?

Please could someone confirm this please as I like to be prepared if this happens to me (hope not)

Many thanks in advance
Matt

hello all

please could you advise a new GG 300 convert? :confused:

I have read threads about the useful crank case drain bolt that my bike has. I have drilled an access hole through my bash plate so that it can be easily accessed in the field should I happen to drown the bike in a water crossing.

What actually happens when the bolt is removed? (on a drowned bike) Will it drain the engine oil or only water that has been sucked in? If so will it be water trapped above the piston in the combustion chamber?

If so, what is the full procedure please? I assume you:

1. remove/dry the air filter
2. drain carby float bowl
3. undo crank bolt
4. remove spark plug
5. kick motor over several times
6. replace dry spark plug
7. replace crank bolt
8. start engine and ride
9. do oil change as soon as possible

Is there any need to turn bike upside down to drain still?

Please could someone confirm this please as I like to be prepared if this happens to me (hope not)

Many thanks in advance
Matt

Matt: The best part is that you DON'T have to tip the bike upside down. Removing the crankcase drain screw simply lets any nastiness dribble/gush out the bottom of the engine, but it has no effect on engine oil since that's in its own separate compartment. A couple kicks through should completely clear it, then reinstall the screw and you're good to go (having drained your float, checked your airfilter, and changed the plug). Nice call on changing the trans fluid at the end of the ride too.

Oh, and welcome aboard :D

Thanks Twowheels !

I was confused as I didn't realise the oil has its own chamber....

What a good idea, surprised other enduro bikes don't have this feature, another plus for gasgas !

:D

Many thanks

This also works great if you happen to flood your engine with gas. We get alot of bikes in here in the spring that have sat all winter. Usually they need a carb clean come spring and sometimes the crankcase will be flooded with fuel from the float valve sticking. I wish they all had a crankcase drain like the GasGas.

Back