Ec 300 won't idle

Olliesherman

My 2009 300 will idle for about 10-15 mins then all of a sudden just keeps dropping till it stops when this happens the idle screw doesn't help. Anyone had this issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Messing with the air screw helps ?
Does it do this when starting from cold or already warm engine ?
What pilot jet do you have ?
Riding conditions ?

I haven't really had a fiddle with air screw yet and it's when it's warm it does it. I haven't messed with jetting yet so not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know when I'd ran a too lean of a pilot the bike would idle great cold, but not so well when it warmed up. Start by richening with the air screw.. you might find that is sufficient.

Do you need to use the choke to start it cold? If not it is already too rich and you should loosen the screw (turn it to the left). After it is warm, if you apply the choke a little bit does it run better? (full choke may be too much). If it runs better with a little choke it is lean and you will need to tighten the screw (turn it right).

Its is exactly as mine, if i turn in the airscrew it will not idle, it will go fat and blurp alot.
I think this is normal on a 2 stroker :)

The niddle should not have any thing to do with the idle.
the niddle working when the throttle is open from 1/4-3/4

Not necessarily.

The straight section of the needle still sits through the nozzle even with the throttle closed, there for it has an effect on the idle mixture. The clip position has the largest effect around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, but it is still functional across the whole range.

Further to this, the stock N1EF has a very short straight section. So short in fact that you can bypass the straight section by winding the idle up. You then end up with the pilot, air screw, slide, and taper all trying to work together both at idle and off idle.

The jd jetting I got from the house of horsepower fixed my idling issues.
What carb do you have, 36 or 38 ? What pilot jet do you use with the JD needle ?

I have found out the 40 pilot that JD recommends for my 38 carb is too rich. Had to go down to 38 in order to fix the idle.

I have the 38mm carb and from memory the 38mm pilot also. However the air screw doesn't really effect my mix as much as it did on other bikes I've had. Can wind it way out and only a slight increase in revs..
Josh

Back