Filthy air filter appreciation thread

Jakobi

Super Moderator
Post em up! Lets see what you all consider dirty!

I miss the rainy days.. All these filters have one ride on them only (varying 70-130kms)
P1020090_zps94950bab.jpg

P1020092_zpsd01df413.jpg

P1020060_zpsed1d305b.jpg

...yeah I'm bored!

They are doing their job that's for sure! I'll snap a pic of mine when I go out later to do some fettling. It's had 2 off-road rides and 1 sm ride all in the sodding rain!

At least your air box is nice and clean Jake...lol.

I should have taken a shot of mine after we did China Hat earlier this year, couldn't tell what color it was supposed to be :o

I need to clean my air box and filter after the slip-n-slide mud fest a couple weekends back - try to remember to take a pic and post it.

Not sure if you guy's use it or not but No Toil is the easiest darn filter oiling cleaning system I have ever used. Everytime I clean the filters it amazes me how fast the dirt is removed and the filters look brand new again.

Mineral turps, dishwashing liquid, Motul filter oil. Its horrible messy crap job.. but works a treat!

PEB thats a monster filter.

I love the No Toil stuff! You can just throw all your filters in the washing machine too. Works perfect.

The No Toil stuff is amazing. Every time I use it I kick my self on the but for not trying it years ago.

I use no toil, but i did see a video a while back showing that water gets through a no-toil treated filter much easier than with other oil based filter oils. I tend to drown my bike often, not sure if it is related

Yep 6 months, I only clean as needed. I firmly believe there is way more chance of knocking stuff into the intake tract during filter changes than thre is of sucking dust through the filter. The carb is always spotless when I do get around to changing mt filter. I use bell ray and lots of it!

There's no dust when you ride out front! ;)

Seriously though, nobody else in my group ever wants to lead so I am out front 95% of the time. I can't count how many times I opened the airbox door and thought "meh" and closed it right back up without cleaning the filter. The few times that someone else takes the lead, I generally need to clean the filter every 1-2 rides.

I wish I had a picture, I was doing some maintenance on my neighbors RM250 and when I opened the airbox it was full of acorns, rat crap, and what looked like shredded insulation, and about 1/2 of an air filter... and she had been riding it like that!

2011 EC250R with billet cage and Twin Air filter soaked with copious quantities of Maxima FFT.

30 mile race with about 6 miles of silty sand wash. Silt, not sugar.

Nothing through to the boot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 40
That looks so much easier and cleaner. What if you want to run the no toil with a bead of Bel Ray Salt Water Proof grease around the lip, the No toil won't cut through that will it? I hate the mess with the pertroleum based chemicals but I like to grease the lip of the filter because I ride in a lot of deep sand. Any suggestions?

No-Toil makes a lip grease as well. The nice thing that I did not point out in the video was that you can use oxy-clean instead of the no-toil cleaner and it works just the same.

this is the video i was referring to :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpzK6Wm_BDs

I knw it is academic and the test is not done with air being sucked through the filter to the carb, but makes you think

Thats a good watch Matt and also something thats important to me too. Lots of deep creeks here, particularly in the wet season.

One thing that isn't covered is that depending on how heavily the engine is revving water can still be pulled through the filter, but I'd imagine still to a lesser extent with a quality oil.

Back