Gas Gas 2018 EC250 Six Days

Gibnut

First ride the other day, 70km.

Brilliant bike - balanced, pokey motor (if geared a little tall at 13/48), very well suspended, light & great ergos (6'2", 92kg otb).

Have been personalising it (TuBliss, etc) the last few days on & off in the shed and the fit and finish is as good as KTM or Beta as far as I can see. Some of the wiring does look a little budget, however. Remains to be seen how it holds up.

Airbox is much improved in terms of both volume & sealing. E-start worked in or out of gear all ride. Have plonked an NEDW in it (with stock 42/175) & will drop gearing to 13/50 for my terrain.

So far, very impressed.

Thanks Jake - you would know me previously as Katokonvert from DBW.

Yep yep! Been following your updates over there too! I must say I like your choice of model and capacity. If I was in the position to upgrade it'd be where I'd be looking too.

Oi Gibber how does it go for your size/weight? I'm an inch or 2 taller than ya & probably 110kg+ RTR so just curious how it is for bigger blokes(opposed to ktm/beta).

What did 250 set ya back on road?

Oi Gibber how does it go for your size/weight? I'm an inch or 2 taller than ya & probably 110kg+ RTR so just curious how it is for bigger blokes(opposed to ktm/beta).

What did 250 set ya back on road?

Shawbagga, it feels bigger than a Beta straight up. Taller for sure, longer seat, too. The 'bar was set in the near position & I moved it to the furthest away mount holes. I also switched the offset lower clamp to the forward position.

It's interesting that this just about gets my 'bar end in line with the fork caps - where I like it to be comfy in standing attack. The stock 'bar has a fairly overgenerous (imho) 55mm sweep, so I roll it forward. Now the bike is comfy as.

Re price - pretty much no deals as the bike's are new & in demand. I just got a couple of things chucked in for nix is all. Worth every penny so far.

Shawbagga, it feels bigger than a Beta straight up. Taller for sure, longer seat, too. The 'bar was set in the near position & I moved it to the furthest away mount holes. I also switched the offset lower clamp to the forward position.

It's interesting that this just about gets my 'bar end in line with the fork caps - where I like it to be comfy in standing attack. The stock 'bar has a fairly overgenerous (imho) 55mm sweep, so I roll it forward. Now the bike is comfy as.

Re price - pretty much no deals as the bike's are new & in demand. I just got a couple of things chucked in for nix is all. Worth every penny so far.

Good stuff man. Hope they bring out a new starter for next year, be my only concern(hopefully yours holds up!)

Get a 200 Craig! You know you wants one.

The one I sat on felt similar in height to my 2013 model, maybe a tad taller but I wasn't geared up and only had pluggers on instead of boots. Felt very familiar. Haven't had one in motion yet, should really go see Deano.. I don't want to know what I'm missing though! :rolleyes:

Sorry, Jakobi, but - a lot.

Not before time, the bike has been put in a sling-shot to 2018 - lighter, more agile, more power ('18 300 compared to '13 300) & better suspension, obviously.

They are more Beta-KTM in ergos/feel but the motor still sounds & rides like a Gas Gas.

Sorry, Jakobi, but - a lot.

Not before time, the bike has been put in a sling-shot to 2018 - lighter, more agile, more power ('18 300 compared to '13 300) & better suspension, obviously.

They are more Beta-KTM in ergos/feel but the motor still sounds & rides like a Gas Gas.

Pretty content with the power delivery of mine; can't say I need more. Have had the KYB's on the front end for some time now. That anchor of a swingarm sure shows it's weight when it's time to lift her around though.

I really do know what I'm missing though. They have stepped up and built the bike I'd have built myself given the chance :D Been asking for a well suspended euro registerable 2T that is available at a reasonable/fair price point for some time.. and look what the cat dragged in!

100km now & this is one heck of a dirt bike.

13/50 gearing, NEDW #2 (hot here atm), 42p/175m, a/s 1.5, Motul 710/98RON @ 2% - still rich right off idle, but I'll go 40p & reassess.

The bike has as much torque low down as many 300's I've ridden. Cracking motor.

KYB's are superb - haven't touched them. I'm 92kg on the bike.

E-start all good so far, build quality all around fantastic. Loose spokes are the only thing I've tweaked. Note - new chain needed if going bigger than 13/49.

This bike has oodles of power, handles beautifully &, to my eye, is engineered and finished to as high a standard as any other brand.

Just quietly, I reckon this bike will be remembered as a bit of a classic..

Back