KYB fork swap

davedunaway

Gold Level Site Supporter
Well I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade the forks on my 06-300. Picked up a set of KGB SSS forks off of a 2009 yzf. Had them shipped to Les at LTR where he put in heavier springs and revalved them for my type of riding/racing. I also bought a set of triple clamps and axle. My plan is to use my Gasgas front wheel. So far things seem to be lining up.the yamaha axle is smaller so I will machine up a bushing to go between it and the bearings.The problem at the moment is the brake calliper,my GG calliper does not fit onto the yamaha forks.
Question:Can I use a different bracket on my calliper to fit the yamaha fork or will I have to buy the yamaha calliper assembly?

Any help from people that have done this swap would be great.
Dave
GG 06-300 de,2k2,10oz fww,rb head,carb mods,fmf gnarly,pivot pegs,really tall seat,brp sub mounts,Scott's damper,flex bars,tubliss,mx31 rear,mx51 front,LTR tuned suspension= great bike

Is your Yamaha axle 20mm? If so, the wheel bearings from the earlier 00, 01,02 etc. GG should fit the bill. Double check (google) the bearing specs. OD against yours but they should be the same. The bearings are very cheap at a bearing house.

On my brake caliper the lower hole lined up with the forks and the other one will get welded shut and relocated on the caliper holder. You also will need to fab a spacer to move the caliper assembly away from the fork.

I shortened the right side Yamaha axle spacer a bit and built a new one for the brake side that was a tic longer. I could have used the Yamaha spacers but the wheel was off center by like .070 not really worth worrying about though. I also used my 00' axle seals. Good luck with the swap!

You have to use the Yamaha caliper bracket with the KYB forks.
The OEM GG caliper will then bolt right on.

I found that I have a better lever feel with the YZ caliper. It also was way easier to bleed.

Also note Yamaha lists different front brake pads for 2003-2006 than it does for 2007-2012, which makes me think they changed calipers. The gassers caliper accepts the same pads as the 2003-2006 Yamaha ones.

Fork swap

Thanks for the info. Will check out bearings from an earlier model.Will also try to find a yz calliper bracket. Looking forward to fork swap done,won't be ready for the race this weekend but getting close. I'll post pics once I figure this photobucket thing out.

Cheers,
Dave

You have to use the Yamaha caliper bracket with the KYB forks.
The OEM GG caliper will then bolt right on.

I found that I have a better lever feel with the YZ caliper. It also was way easier to bleed.

Is this the same even with the smaller Yamaha caliper used on the 07'+ 250f & 08'+ 450f?

This is the YZ caliper I have. It is a Nissin.
th

when i did my swap i board out the upper gasgas triple clamp and used the factory wheel that way i can use the more comin wheel and bearings. there where gonna be so many changes thats why i stayed with the yz wheel. i will be putting my gasgas rim on my yz hub

I use the following parts:

-2009 KYB fork,
-2005 YZ250 after market triple clamp from Scar Racing France
-brake caliper adapter from Moto Mater Netherlands for Yamaha YZ for over size brake disc 260mm
-original GG brake caliper
-original GG Wheels with custom made spacer
-original GG axis
-original GG hanlde bar clamps
-original GG 20mm bearing assembly

I think that's it

Every time I see a 2t yz I feel that this swap is removing some beautifully engineered forks off one of the ugliest 2t still available and giving them a happy home

I use the following parts:

-2009 KYB fork,
-2005 YZ250 after market triple clamp from Scar Racing France
-brake caliper adapter from Moto Mater Netherlands for Yamaha YZ for over size brake disc 260mm
-original GG brake caliper
-original GG Wheels with custom made spacer
-original GG axis
-original GG hanlde bar clamps
-original GG 20mm bearing assembly

I think that's it

I've read that the 2005 yamaha triple are narrower by 2mm(?) than the 2006 and newer? Did this affect your wheel centering and wheel spacer mods?

Last edited:
I use the Standard spacer on the right and an other Standard spacer plus 3mm washer on the left.
ru6uqu7a.jpg
ruruvy6u.jpg

Are you sure these are 09' forks? The fork guards don't look like 09'?:confused: more like 06' or 07'?

What did you do for the steering stops and fender mount?

Thanks

I am sure it is a closed catridge and the Funktion is great.
For steering Stops i haben't done anything at all because i like to have a big steering angle.
The Fender is mounted with the original Yamaha Börse and i just Drilles 2 New holes.

I am sure it is a closed catridge and the Funktion is great.
For steering Stops i haben't done anything at all because i like to have a big steering angle.
The Fender is mounted with the original Yamaha Börse and i just Drilles 2 New holes.

I understand you like the tight steering, but you should have a positive stop. One good hit with the forks against the frame and you'll have dents in the fork uppers. That in turn will mess up the fork internals when passing by that high spot. You could fab one up on the frame like the yamaha one and set your frame clearance to what ever you would like. I did mine at about .100 frame clearance but could be tighter if needed by grinding the stop down some.

Back