Long awaited first ride xc 200

john r b

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I had hoped to have this report written awhile ago.Sidelined by injury.(8-weeks)
Any way I want to list the mods performed,1- removed stock 38mm carb
installed 38mm airstryker jetting: 170main 38pilot jd blue needle 3rd clip position air screw 1&3/4 turns out #7 slide no notch outside air temp's
were in the low 30 degrees. 2- installed checkpoint p/v cover 3- installed
other protection. skid plate/hand guards,etc.etc.
Loading both bikes shows the difference in weight. 250e vs 200.
Im not sure the claimed 22lb. is correct,maybe 10-15lb. After warming the 200
the throttle was quick and responsive. very nice. Suspension- Sag was set for
my weight 172lbs. ready to ride. pfp 2 turns from soft compression 18 out
rebound 14 out . Riding in a tight singletrack 5mi. loop. First impression is this bike has some go. I did notice a small bog while flogging from corner to corner
Wow what a blast!! I think once the squish is corrected and the cast smartcarb
goes on these improvements will make a lean bike even meaner. I will admit I have limited experience on small bore 2-strokes, but this one screams.
If you keep the R's in the corners. Very usable power across the rpm range,didn't notice a difference in the ign. mapping. left it on sunny.
The suspension was excellent. The bike tracked very well and went were I pointed. the handling of these bikes is flawless. imo. When loading the 200 back in the truck i noticed significant tire rub on the silencer. Heavier spring
may be required,I'll check the front w/ zip tys while I'm there. Thanks.

John

John,

Check that main jet. A 170 is too small for a 200 with a 38mm carb. Especially at those frosty temps! I wouldn't even run a 170 with a JD Blue in a 300 at 30C and the 300 will draw more fuel through the carb than a 200. Higher dispacement = more air pulled over jets through the same throat size = higher velocity = more fuel for same sized jet.

If you have used the JD jetting data sheet there are typos on the 38mm page. If you compare them to the 36mm page you'll see the mains are the same for the two lower down the page.

Other than that it sounds like a grouse little bike! I've spent many hours dreaming of owning one myself. Pics?

I'm about 170 wet and i'm happy with how my o'le gg200 rips. I think you will luv yours and by your report sounds like a good start :)
Only think that bothers me is never in the correct gear long enough (meaning shifting more than big bore). But, if your aggressive this is non-issue and lots of wicked fun.

xc200 report

Jakobi, Being in super tight singletrack. Never getting above 4th gear.With 1.7 hrs. logged(after proper break in) Spark plug is perfect color.I will gladly install
a 175main . I have photos and will send them asap.

Whats year is your bike? Thanks for the ride report and if I didn't have a 165 Husky I would have a 200 GG myself. Enjoy.

Totally your call John :) I'm not telling you if its right or wrong. Just on paper it appears to be on the smaller side of main jets, and I'd hate to see you melt it down on a spirited run through an open windy section of fire trail or the likes.

Also re plug colour, it won't tell you much else than its last running state. If you idle it cold your plug will look rich, if you ride around in the lower throttle openings normally, kill the engine and look it will look normal. If you do a WOT run under load.. what will it look like?

The main still supplies fuel across the entire throttle positions, but its primary purpose is to supply at WOT. Tune for that. If going bigger results in somewhere lower running rich, address that throttle position either through clip pos, needle choice, or pilot, depending on where its breaking up. Realistically you should be able to tune the bike to run below half throttle pretty well with no main jet installed at all.

long awaited first ride xc 200

Jakobi,
Your expertise is greatly appreciated and does not fall on deaf ear.
I will install a 175 main and give it a go before lunch. I like working from home.
After the test I will post the outcome. Thanks again Jake.

John

What carb did it come with if not a Keihin Airstryker? Honestly that would piss me off.:mad: I agree, 170 sounds way too lean for a 200 especially if you have an old style Airstryker I. I'm at 182 in my 250 and its spot on right now.

Glenn,
Yes I was disappointed about the carb. And several other typical gg quirks.
Clay is the greatest!!! The stock carb was a 38MM non air-stryker PWK.
Once I installed my smartcarb on the 250(2012), I simply used that a/s 2.
I was suprised that it came w/ a 38mm not a 36mm. I've got the brass
and will post outcomes soon. What are your thoughts on trying the notched slide???

I could be wrong, but its likely that you got the screw top carb, which is actually the first airstryker. The term "airstryker" means the carb has the wings in the intake bell. This is what came on my 250. They were really scraping bottom if they gave you the pre airstryker PWK.

200s always came with 38s, but guys that have tried 36s like them a lot.

As far as the slides, 200s used to come with #6s. If you have trouble dialing in the needle dia with a #7 maybe try a #6. The notch is supposed to increase the signal over the pilot hole to make idle more responsive. Despite what I was told, the bike likes a RICHER pilot with the notched slide, not leaner. This screwed up my initial jetting work as I was going in the wrong direction.

If you want to use the stock carb try this setting 45 pilot a/s 1 turn out 6.5 notched slide stock needle nozh clip 2 from top 172 main. 40 to 1 premix works great in my 12 200.

Guy's one thing I purposely left out of the report is an exhaust leak (bad weld)
no biggie, Clay is stepping up... I've been asked if an fmf will do. I presume
its what they have in stock. Any thoughts????

Back