Maxxis SI Tires

Boomhauer

Well I took the bike out for a spin today with my new Maxxis SI tires. These tires hooked up really well. It was wet in some spots and they clean themselves very well.

The front SI tires looks almost like the Michelin M-12 and handles far better than the S-12 or the M-12 for that matter. My S-12 use to "Skate" in the fast corners,:eek: and today the bike just stayed on line with minimal slipage.:cool:

Where I ride we have everything from fine sand to hard park, and even slick roots. These tires handled very well and I would recomend them to anyone.

The real test will be longevity, and from what I hear these tires will last for awhile.

Barely any wear showing so far. I have been quite inpressed with them thus far. I have ridden in slick mud, hard pack, sand, roots, rocks, etc and all of the lugs are still there on the tire. We did our 1st enduro back in January and my friend was running the S12's and his were chunked after that race.

I will swear that these tires handle just like or even better than the S12's.

Maxxicross si&it

:D Just gave the fse 450 a birthday an fitted 2new tyres ,the front is a maxxicross si an rear is a IT and what a difference they made on the first ride.I ride on sand an limestone an the bike went like it was one with the ground hardly any wheel spin which when your used to wheel spin i was doing mono's where your not suppose to ie out out of corners an stuff but so far will stick with this brand.

Maxxis tyres

Well have had the tyres on the bike for about 500kms,have been riding on gravel,limestone ,bitumen an sand and so far have had no wear on tread .I can't believe how they are going on the wear factor and will be sticking with this brand .:D

I will swear that these tires handle just like or even better than the S12's.

Michigan riders swear by the S-12's for our terrain here. Since Michelin switch the manufacturing from France to Thailand, the rubber is just not the same quality as before. The Thai rubber starts to split and chuck too quickly.

I bought a Maxxis SI for the rear just out of curiousity. I agree that these grip are as good as S-12's. My rear S-12 wore out very quickly compared to the Maxxis SI. I'm really impressed with them.

Last edited:
I agree, the SI's are a very good tire and you will save some dough over the Michelin's S12 that are very popular.

I have tried the IT's and hated them ,especially the front, but I ride in wet conditions at least 75% of the time. They have really stiff side walls like a hard terrain tire and were a real bear to mount IMO.

I don't mind the ITs. They work well on the mix of terrain I ride up here. I'm going to give the SI's a go in the spring to see how they work. I ended up running a front SM for a few weeks in october and was impressed by how well it hooked up on all terrain, including wet snotty roots covered in leaves.

I'm sold on Maxxis tires. They work well, wear extremely well and are reasonably priced (rear S12 is about $140, SI and IT rears are around $90-100).

I am very pleased with the GBC Dirt Shark. They are cheap, rear for $60 form my local dealer or $5o online fronts for even less. I get at least as many miles out of the rears as I used to with s-12. The front I have had on for about 1200 miles and it has not thrown a knob yet. For comparason I usually throw knobs off an s-12 front within 300 miles.

Paul B

Paul, have you tried a trials tire yet ?

New S-12s are junk, I would get no where near 300 miles on one.

That was with the old s-12s. I rode a 125 with a trials tire and wasn't sold, perhaps something with a litlle broader power would work better with the trials tire.

Paul

yeah- I have a Dirt Shark (from dennis kirk?) on my
200. I works good and wears very well. BUT- that was
the HARDEST tire I've ever mounted, EVER !
(Including old Metzlers in there and Maxxis IT's)

If its that hard (stiff) how good can it be on slick roots and rocks? I had a Kenda Millville that was like that, HATED that tire. The rubber felt like hard cheap plastic.

When I run a rear knobby (less and less now), I have an IRC VE33 thats pretty good, a lot like a Pirelli MT16. I raced with the Mitas ET-01 twice this year and was very pleased with it. At the last enduro, that was very slick and muddy, my entire minute ran trials tires. I have a new front Pirelli Scorpion that works good, forget the # offhand but its the soft terrain tire.

For years I ran the IRC VE33 rear and Pirelli MT44 front. The VE33 has taken a back seat to a trials tire. I tried a Maxxis SI front this year and I like it alot. It's as good, or better, for traction. It lasts longer. And it costs less.

I use both the SI and IT rears but for different conditions. In the Ozark rocks when it is dry the SI will chunk knobs in 100 miles. So will the S 12 (The old ones). The conditions I'm talking about is baked clay with embedded shrarp rocks. The IT works well under these dry conditions (300-400 miles). When it gets even a little bit muddy or good dirt I go to the SI. As a reference the Colorado Rockies are easy on tires compared to the Ozark Rocks.

Well I wanted to try the 756's when I got the 07 bike. Well here we are a few months later and they are slap worn out. After kicking around some different tires I decided to order another set of the Maxxis SI's. They were such a great tire and lasted longer than any other tire I tried so why chance another brand when these worked really well for me in the past.

Bikebandit.com seems to have the best deals on tires. Plus I had mine in 2 days after placing the order.:cool:

Now I just have to mount them.:( Damn I am getting lazy!:D

A few months? Robby, I think you guys have it easy down there with tires. I can literally wreck a new rear tire in a few rides here. Thats one reason I switched to rear trials tires, over a year its way cheaper.

A few months? Robby, I think you guys have it easy down there with tires. I can literally wreck a new rear tire in a few rides here. Thats one reason I switched to rear trials tires, over a year its way cheaper.
Well we don't have many or any rocks down here in Houston so tires last longer.:D

If I still lived in Dallas I would run a trials tire because I use to ride the place that they hosted the Last Man Standing race at, and a trials tire would be the hot ticket there for sure.

Back