Needle Help

I do not know what needle I have in her. Maybe stock, but who knows as there is no writing/number on the needle. What is stock needle for 05 300? I can break out the calipers to confirm. I am looking for suggestions on ordering a needle as a baseline.

05 EC300 (no Mods)
FMF Gnarly
175 Main
40 PJ
Unknown Needle Clip position 2
Temps 70-90 degrees F
3000-7500' Elevation (Arizona summer riding up north)
Hesitates/burbles slightly 1/8 - 1/4 throttle; 1/8 - 3/4 at higher elevations 7,500'

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

I've done a lot of digging and found that NEDJ is a well known needle that's said to have smooth power delivery. I am currently teaching myself to jet with it on my 12' 300.

U can get the keihin needles on eBay cheap. I just bought a CEL needle and I really like the way it feels. I was in the same boat as you. My needle had no markings on it, so I looked at the keihin needle chart and picked one that was kind of in the middle of the rich/ lean chart. Some people say the CEL is a little on the lean side but its spot on for my 250.

I do not know what needle I have in her. Maybe stock, but who knows as there is no writing/number on the needle. What is stock needle for 05 300? I can break out the calipers to confirm. I am looking for suggestions on ordering a needle as a baseline.

05 EC300 (no Mods)
FMF Gnarly
175 Main
40 PJ
Unknown Needle Clip position 2
Temps 70-90 degrees F
3000-7500' Elevation (Arizona summer riding up north)
Hesitates/burbles slightly 1/8 - 1/4 throttle; 1/8 - 3/4 at higher elevations 7,500'

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
This may help.

I have been experimenting with different needles and setups for my 2006 ec300. I was running a DDK needle in the second position with a 42 pilot and 175 main. OK for tight and technical trails but it gave somewhat of a flat power delivery.

After reading a lot of posts (thank you to all who contributed) I gave the Yam/ktm N3EG needle a shot. I started with the needle in the second position, 42 pilot and 175 main. Really nice snap off the bottom, idled and started perfect. Felt flat at just past half throttle and on so I went to a 178. This is likely where I'll stay, love the snap and top end yank.

I tried the needle in the middle position as well but it seemed to burble in the middle. Also tried the middle position with a 40 pilot but I could get it to hesitate down low even with the airscrew at 3/4turn out. I'm quite sure I could go 120km's easily on a stock tank with this setup. (42p N3EG and 178 main)

I also liked the CCK needle in the second position with a 42 pilot and 178 main with the screw 1.5 turns out. Nice torque and as so many note, smooth power. I could see using this setup in sloppy conditions or when I want to take it a little bit easier. Might try the NExx needles sometime.

I have had the RB head mod done. Being a 2006 it has the AS1 carb. Floats are set at 18mm. My testing was done at around 2,500 feet at 75F.

I ordered a NEDJ and am going to try it out. Do you think I will need to go up to a 42 pilot for the NEDJ? I will start with clip in position #3. Any other suggestions much appreciated.

I ordered a NEDJ and am going to try it out. Do you think I will need to go up to a 42 pilot for the NEDJ? I will start with clip in position #3. Any other suggestions much appreciated.[/QUOTE

I would start out with the 40 pilot, NEDJ #3, and drop the main to a 172. With the air screw @1.5 out. That should get you pretty close.

Has anyone had any luck with NEDJ on ASI? Just realized that most are running these on the ASII.

Way too lean on the diameter for the AS1. The rest of the profile is good though. Try something like an NEDF/NEDG, 250cc/300cc respectively.

Just put in the NEDJ and ran it up and down the block a few times. Still seems rich off idle to 1/4 throttle. Seemed OK everywhere else..maybe bit flat on top.

Way too lean on the diameter for the AS1. The rest of the profile is good though. Try something like an NEDF/NEDG, 250cc/300cc respectively.

Even at summer temps here (90 degrees)and at elevation? I was going to ride with the NEDJ in it tomorrow at 4500-7500 feet. Think this would cause heat issues/seizure with the NEDJ?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends how much too lean it is in your instance. Its always better to er on the side of caution though.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends how much too lean it is in your instance. Its always better to er on the side of caution though.

Good call....Too lean in my instance....ran like crap and had to switch out needles 4 miles into the ride. Glad I didnt squeek it.

As per Wyle E. Coyote...back to the drawing board. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Chase up an NEDG and run it with the same pilot and main as you would on the stock N1EF. N3EG runs well in the older carbs too.

I'm certainly no jetting expert but continue to experiment. Ran a N3CG in the middle position with a 42p and the 178m. Compared to the N3EG in position 2 the CG tones down the snap a touch and gives a slightly more grunty feel.

I would say a CCK in position 2 is still a very nice needle with 42 pilot and 178 main. I rode a very technical (for my riding skill) logs, roots, rock faces and switchbacks with the CCK and would say its my favourite setup.

Try to get your hands on a N3EG and a CCK. I shimmed the N3EG before getting the N3CG.

Put the CCK in for a ride this weekend. It was cool enough that we rode in the valley at 1400 feet elevation. It was too rich in needle position 2, so moved it to position 1 and it was spot on. The problem with this is that there is no longer any room for adjustment to be made for higher elevation. Where do I go from here? Larger diameter? Longer needle? Different taper? Any suggestions appreciated, as I have a trip to CO planned in a couple weeks and the riding will be 10,000 to 12,500 feet in elevation. Thanks!

You can't directly compare pilots and mains unless taking the particular needles into account too. A 42 pilot and J diameter needle is leaner than a 38 and an F diameter. The sudco 3 letter code needle diameters don't correlate with the 4 letter OEM ones either.

Find the Keihin/Sudco chart and you should be able to find a 3 letter code which gives you the same diameter, taper, and a different length (clip position).

Back