The RickyD Lectron Experience

Yesterday was another race -- Round 5 -- in the www.amraracing.com series.

http://www.moto-tally.com/AMRA/Results.aspx

This was a hare scramble down in San Manuel, Arizona. The Aze and Beez did three 26.5-mile laps.

It was fast and flowy with slight elevation changes and two miles of whoop-out sand wash. This is not our usual 2nd-gear rock-bashing event. Even I (B-racer with mid-pack C speed), managed to average 22 MPH. The fastest A-racers where at 31 MPH, and nearly all of the Aze hit 26-27 mph. The top Beez were in at about 26 MPH.

So, this was Main Jet territory. And a test for the fuel efficiency of the Lectron.

On earlier trail rides I had noted that the bike was not quite as thirsty as before, but my measurements hadn't been particularly precise. This time I topped off the bike after I warmed it up. Topped off to the very top. I marked graduations on my fuel jug and took a measure of the tank.

I concluded that I used 3.0 gallons of fuel. 79.5/3.0 = 26.6 MPG.

As a comparison, one of our top A riders who races pinned achieved a stunning 11 MPG on his KTM300.

I wish I could give you a direct comparison of the same bike in the same race, but last year at this race with my '05 EC250 with RB Carb and Head mod I used just under 4 gallons, or about 20 MPG. I never could get the 2011's Keihin AirStriker2 jetted to my liking so I quickly moved to the Lectron.

For what it's worth. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5248-XL.jpg
    IMG_5248-XL.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 56
Yesterday was another race -- Round 5 -- in the www.amraracing.com series.

http://www.moto-tally.com/AMRA/Results.aspx

This was a hare scramble down in San Manuel, Arizona. The Aze and Beez did three 26.5-mile laps.

It was fast and flowy with slight elevation changes and two miles of whoop-out sand wash. This is not our usual 2nd-gear rock-bashing event. Even I (B-racer with mid-pack C speed), managed to average 22 MPH. The fastest A-racers where at 31 MPH, and nearly all of the Aze hit 26-27 mph. The top Beez were in at about 26 MPH.

So, this was Main Jet territory. And a test for the fuel efficiency of the Lectron.

On earlier trail rides I had noted that the bike was not quite as thirsty as before, but my measurements hadn't been particularly precise. This time I topped off the bike after I warmed it up. Topped off to the very top. I marked graduations on my fuel jug and took a measure of the tank.

I concluded that I used 3.0 gallons of fuel. 79.5/3.0 = 26.6 MPG.

As a comparison, one of our top A riders who races pinned achieved a stunning 11 MPG on his KTM300.

I wish I could give you a direct comparison of the same bike in the same race, but last year at this race with my '05 EC250 with RB Carb and Head mod I used just under 4 gallons, or about 20 MPG. I never could get the 2011's Keihin AirStriker2 jetted to my liking so I quickly moved to the Lectron.

For what it's worth. ;)

So how was it riding 2 up in this race?? :-D

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

We were out marking trail for our club's annual enduro. Halfway through my throttle sticks 1/3-open. Some made braking/clutching, and kill-switching enabled me to coax it to near a forest service road.

The top end of the cable was kinked, but I suspected it was kinked because of a failure further down the housing. I was towed back to the trucks. Today I found that the culprit was a 90% fray-through along the 90-degree elbow on the cable that Lectron supplied for my Gasser to clear the tank.

Attachments

• ElbowFray.jpg
    ElbowFray.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 44
We were out marking trail for our club's annual enduro. Halfway through my throttle sticks 1/3-open. Some made braking/clutching, and kill-switching enabled me to coax it to near a forest service road.

The top end of the cable was kinked, but I suspected it was kinked because of a failure further down the housing. I was towed back to the trucks. Today I found that the culprit was a 90% fray-through along the 90-degree elbow on the cable that Lectron supplied for my Gasser to clear the tank.

Wow, not good. And I just ordered that same cable for mine...

If you all Kevin about this, will you pass along his response?

As always, I will report my findings.

I had a suspicion months ago that the 90-degree bend (as compared to the OEM GG 45-degree bend) could be a high friction point.

I even lubed it up with cable lube.

Also, the remote choke plunger is a little corroded where the cable nibble meets the capture doohickey. I re-lubed and cleaned it. Works and slips mo-bettah.

Last edited:
I spoke with Kevin. He said the photo indicated that the Teflon liner separated causing the cable to rub itself away. He hadn't seen that happen before and had no failures for the cable there. Replacements and other doo-dads are on their way.

This is now post-race season here in Arizona so the bike is on the work stand getting stripped down for a thorough inspection and R&R. I think I'll increase the frequency for certain inspections.

I spoke with Kevin. He said the photo indicated that the Teflon liner separated causing the cable to rub itself away. He hadn't seen that happen before and had no failures for the cable there. Replacements and other doo-dads are on their way.

This is now post-race season here in Arizona so the bike is on the work stand getting stripped down for a thorough inspection and R&R. I think I'll increase the frequency for certain inspections.

That's good to hear, and also a bit unnerving that it randomly happened.

You should come up here, we are just getting into our "cool" (as opposed to "warm" or "cold") riding seasons. Year round riding and racing, if you are up to brave Mrs. Nature.

Did you ever get any testing done at 9k feet? I'm about to head to the 10-12 range tomorrow. We'll see how it goes...

I got to 9,500.

Keep in mind that I set my power jet to be on the edge of too rich down in Phoenix at 1,500 feet. If I crank it a quarter or a half richer, it will burble. That's the way I like it. Those who jet crisper likely won't have any issues, I suspect. Same with my metering rod. I have it set such that it is so rich that I need to crank in the idle screw all the way in to get it to idle to my liking. Me having to crank in the idle screw indicates a rich condition which requires the slide to be raised to let more air in.

Anyway, I started at 7k up in Flagstaff and after a warm up I found the metering rod to be handling everything nicely. No change needed. The Power Jet was burbling at WOT, so I cranked it 3/4 turn leaner to rid the problem. I never touched it again, even when I climbed to 9,500 and temps rose from 70F to 85F.

Back