Twisted Engineering - Carbon Bars

I broke mine. I'm not getting another - just too expensive. What I've found since going back to alum. bars is that it only takes a very small amount of flex to make a big difference. Alum. bars do flex some if you don't take that away by hard mounting your hand guards. I'm using the Twisted Engineering hand guards with my alum. bars and get most of the flex benefits that I had with the carbon bars. If I could find or make some handlebar mounts that flex a little and combine that with the flex hand guards I could have all the benefits of the carbon bars at a much lower cost.

@gasser

not very good news. how did it happen that the bar broke off? hard crash? do you have a picture of it?
i had pain in my wrist and as a "first aid" i taked a 5mm thick fabric rubber and mounted it between the bar mount and the triple clamp. i tightened the screws gently but hard enough to stay fix. most of the engine vibrations are gone now and it also does a little "flex". it dont eat up impacts from the fork, but the bigger problem for me i guess was the vibrations. its better now and the problems with my wrists are much better.

Ive crashed the crap out of mine. No problems. I never use them to tie down however. I always used a strap around fork just above bottom triple. How did you break those things Ken?

there is also one guy in the thumpertalk forum wich reports a broken te-bar. of course could be one of a thousand, but still not good.
as this bars broke, could it be a mounting problem? if the bar mount wich is on the triple clamp is not straight in line i could imagine you have tension on this bar all time, and maybe this is causing stress to the material wich results in damage? just an idea. when you tie up the nut on the bolt underneath the triple clamp, you could force the bar in the mount i guess.

seriously, mine have been through hell and back racing almost every week and not one problem. They must be the earlier generation bars.

I sent T-Engineering a link to this thread.

I buddy sent me a photo of his Gen-1 TE bar that he has had on for a couple of years. He was riding along after a, to him, minor tip-over and felt a wobble in his bar. The outer casing near the top bend had separated off making it less stiff. The interior was fine. He has replaced it with a Gen-2 bar.

I had a photo of it somewhere.

I've mentioned a few threads to TE. They've never responded directly. They feared an irate forum adminstrator requiring sponsorship before posting. Instead, on rare occasion they have asked me to post for them.

How did you break those things Ken?

I was at walking speed crossing a log and somehow got whiskey throttle and the bike jumped straight up, back flipped and landed on the right handlebar. It snapped clean in two ( was weird to ride out of the woods that way). The bars was the newer, stronger version but to be fair I've had Renthal alum. bars to snap into in a similar situation. These type of falls happen very rarely so I believe Twisted Engineering could easily afford to offer replacements at half price (or even less). I did call them to offer to send the broken bars back for inspection since they were the newer type but they didn't seem surprised that they broke and only offered replacement at a price that was still higher than their cost.

Last edited:
I was at walking speed crossing a log and somehow got whiskey throttle and the bike jumped straight up, back flipped and landed on the right handlebar. It snapped clean in two ( was weird to ride out of the woods that way). The bars was the newer, stronger version but to be fair I've had Renthal alum. bars to snap into in a similar situation. These type of falls happen very rarely so I believe Twisted Engineering could easily afford to offer replacements at half price (or even less). I did call them to offer to send the broken bars back for inspection since they were the newer type but they didn't seem surprised that they broke and only offered replacement at a price that was still higher than their cost. No more business from me.

Two words...."Flexx Bars!" They may be a tad on the heavy side but, I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

a lot of different oppinions....
im really curious what te have to say about it. if they dont response, bad business at all! if, they will disappear as fast as they shown up on the market.

I was at walking speed crossing a log and somehow got whiskey throttle and the bike jumped straight up, back flipped and landed on the right handlebar. It snapped clean in two ( was weird to ride out of the woods that way). The bars was the newer, stronger version but to be fair I've had Renthal alum. bars to snap into in a similar situation. These type of falls happen very rarely so I believe Twisted Engineering could easily afford to offer replacements at half price (or even less). I did call them to offer to send the broken bars back for inspection since they were the newer type but they didn't seem surprised that they broke and only offered replacement at a price that was still higher than their cost. No more business from me.

So you flipped the bike, which in your own words is "very rare", and you expect another pair at a heavily discounted price?

The warranty is specifically
Twisted Engineering will warrant it's handlebars for six (6) months from the original date of purchase to the original purchaser against crash related damage. If you have any kind of hard impact and just want the bars checked out, send them in and we will inspect them for free. If the bars are damaged, a new pair can be purchased at a 20% discount. All Warranty claims are to be handled directly with Twisted Engineering.

Were the bars newer than 6 months? If not, you're outside warranty and they should only offer you a pair at the 20% discounted price.

If they did and you're pushing for more of a discount, then I think you're in the wrong personally. Why should they give you more of a discount than they list as warranty?

Maybe if they broke when you dropped them in a very small crash, but flipping the bike is a lot of force into a small area. They don't warranty them as unbreakable, virtually impossible doesn't mean impossible.

Likewise with Flexx bar not selling one side, that will be so that no one can replace one portion of the bar on the rest of a set that might be weakened from the initial crash damage. That's not bad customer service, that's just common sense. Perhaps sending them the broken set to inspect and replace the damaged section would be appropriate, but letting 'Joe bar owner' inspect and repair something that has been heavily damaged isn't safe.

flipping a bike isnt really an usual crash. it never happend to me, never ever. can imagine that maybe the handlebar hit a stone or any sharp edge and it made a cut in the material. this is the worst for this composite material.
when i get the bar i look to all the mounts from brake/clutch not to have any sharp edge on it.

I went riding with my buddy yesterday. He brought his TE Bar.

I snapped a more in-focus photo.

He said he noticed more bendiness on one side while riding, but they still looked ready to ride as put my knee to it and gave it some forceful attempts at bending it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BarLong.jpg
    BarLong.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 43
I got this via email:

Hi Rick,

As always, thank you for the heads up, and I appreciate the invite from you and your fellow Gasgas-ers to reply to the issues that have been brought up.

I will start by addressing the comments made by ?gasser?, and please feel free to post my comments in their entirety and the attached photo of an intentionally broken (in our test rig) Composi-flex II bar. The Composi-flex II is our latest bar and incorporates a patent pending flexible and virtually indestructible core. The bar in the picture was subject to the worst possible scenario that could happen to a handlebar. Basically mimicking your bike flipping and putting the bar in a hole just big enough to fit, with the bike continuing to roll. The test: This bar was secured in our tester by the same means that you would clamp them on your bike. An upright piece if steel was placed under the bar at the point of the break, and our guillotine break tester took care of the rest. As you can see the composites are failed completely through but the bar is still in tact. Believe it or not, that bar is still stiff enough to ride. As a matter of fact if you gave it a good yank back into its normal position, it would probably give you a reasonably comfortable ride home, however far away that may be. We never said that the Composi-flex II was unbreakable, but as you can see from the photo and the description of what was done to this bar, it is next to impossible to break off. So, if gasser would like to send me his?snapped clean in two? bar back for evaluation, I would be happy to look at it. if it is in fact a Composi-flex II, and is found to have actually ?snapped clean in two?, I will send him a new pair free. Keep in mind that cutting the core after the fact, and breaking the core will yield two entirely, and very apparent, different results. My statements regarding this are not meant to be confrontational or derogatory, so please don?t take them that way. Nor is this meant to be regarded as a modification of our normal warrantee to be honored in the future. I would just like to see a pair of Composi-flex II?s that were actually snapped off just by doing what was described.

?Tom250? brought up a couple things. The first being a potential mounting issue. That is a very good point and should be taken into consideration when mounting our bars...any bar for that matter. The other point was regarding scratches or gouges possibly causing some issues. He is absolutely correct about this as well. Under most circumstances a normal composite product can be weakened significantly from this. However our bar is designed with this in mind as well. I would be very comfortable riding one of our bars that someone took a file to. But please don?t try this at home folks...I?m just saying scratches and small gouges should not be a problem with our bars. However his point about sharp edges being removed form your controls is definitely a good one. In fact that use to be on our site and for some reason was removed without intention. I will be making sure that gets back on there immediately.

There was also some discontent about our warrantee, but I feel ?noobi? covered that pretty well. However, I think we need to reword the warranty slightly for more clarity. The 20% discount is within the first 6 months. After all, a crash is a crash, we cant guarantee a product of this nature forever. Keep in mind, a 250k Lamborghini doesn?t come with a crash related warrantee...actually I don?t know of to many things that do. Especially anything that is subject to the potential hard life like that of a dirt bike handlebar.

We always welcome criticism and concerns, that?s how we get better. So if anyone else has any new ones, or if I missed something, please let me know directly at info@twistedengineering.com or through AZRickD if he doesn?t mind taking the on.

Thanks again Rick

Regards

Doug Cain
Vice President
Twisted Engineering
(P) 888-947-8331

Back