what forks to use

Thanks. Yeah the steering damper will fit fine I'll just drill some new holes and make some spacers that also countersink to the old ones.

I've made some plastic blocks that will bolt and tack to the clamps once recreated in ally. Don't know why I thought it would be so hard. Even the guard looks like it can be re-drilled.

Hmm, well I've plunged ahead. Here are the spacers I've turned up to go from the 25mm GG axle to the 20mm YZ one:

The bearings from old GG & the only ones that are commonly available for a 42x20 size are 12mm wide (6004) as opposed to the skinny 9mm ones for the 25mm axle. This means the seal will poke out about 3mm which I suppose should be ok.

I've just roughed the outer spacers a little oversize and will skim the last mm or so once I have it ready to bold together with the wheel & clamps. I will then take the final skim from the outer to leave the lip that retains them in the seal (can't hold onto the spacer to cut it down if I do that first).

Then I just have to push out the steering races out (the bearing was indeed past it) and I'm dropping off the triple to my weldy guy. He has some thick plate ally I believe, will post pics when done. Will bolt up from bottom & be tacked to the old stops.

Attachments

• YZ to GG wheel spacers.jpg
    YZ to GG wheel spacers.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 87
YZ Clamps with blocks added. So there's a bolt from the bottom which is the main strength + they are butted up against the curved clamp. they are also tacked to the old stops & a bit at the bottom. They bear on the frame with a wide contact patch, I might have to face the surface so they hit evenly but there is plenty of meat.

Have the races in the freezer so might slam those in tonight, press on the bearings & this could go together.

Attachments

• YZ clamp bottom.jpg
    YZ clamp bottom.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 96
  • YZ clamps side.jpg
    YZ clamps side.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 113
06 yz250. SSS. They're in but there's half a dozen jobs to do and bed is calling. Post pictures tomorrow.

Here's the pics; steering stop is almost against frame, I turned the bars so I could get the shot. You can see the frame paint damage where the old stops hit.

And the finished item. . ..Save for the fact the bar clamps are just sitting there, there are no spacers in the axle, the brake is hanging there & the guard is held on with a bungy. :)

But I've noticed the right fork is weeping again. I really want to ride it so I can decide if it needs different springs or valving rather than pull them down for seals & have to do it again straight away. I'll put in some old brake pads just in case the seal goes. They've been sitting so often that clears up. . .

Attachments

• Steering space.jpg
    Steering space.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 97
  • YZ forks on.jpg
    YZ forks on.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 94
Well all stitched up, spacers done etc. Those fork guards will need replacing they look dreadful (worse than picture).

pump it up & down a bunch.

Aww idda maka groan man wheap.

nah those seals are shot. I don't have the tools or time to change them before the weekend. Might pop them down to the local & try my luck.

There's also a bit more stiction than I was expecting. One of the fork guards is rubbing & it was a bit better when I popped down before breakfast (having thought about it while awake last night) to loosen the axle.

Theoretically with a floating axle design as long as you don't tighten the right axle clamp till last after some bouncing it will centre. But I did notice some flaring on the axle head, probably from a butcher with a big hammer. I'll turn it in the lathe to ensure its parallel.

Attachments

• YZ forks on.jpg
    YZ forks on.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 56
  • YZ weeping.jpg
    YZ weeping.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 47
Well I've taken the flare off the axle. Its pretty straight, within 1/2mm, might give it a tap, but I've dropped the forks off. Weds or thurs. Bugger. Next ride day is end of the month.

I'm just following previous blazed trail. I don't even have the forks back in my possession till next week:(

PS I was expecting a bite from you from my Aussie twang "Aww idda maka groan man wheap" above:D

Well I got the forks back today & some black fork guards so it will be back together tonight, but I'm road racing next weekend & next trail is 30th so interested to see how they feel. Could go to local riding area but it won't tell me much & just chews up tyres.

Then there's a couple of rides in a row so no chance to change anything. Haven't found much info on suggested changes out in the web yet.

I have some info on a bit of a starting point.. but best bet is to pull them down and see what configuration you have before going nuts.

Bike is all back together c/w black fork guards. Looking forward to riding it now. Sigh.

Well first impressions : they aren't terrebile. Little longer, actually these are better that the 45s and I don't think I'm making it up.

What I don't like is it feels like I'm holding on too hard and too low like at waist level. The YZ clamps sit at same as gg rear and I was using front ones. Also I have low bars to make up for steering damper. So its too low, I need to makes some spacers that will bolt into the yz mounts and give more metal to drill some forward mounts.

But overall I'm happy that it is better to the point the old forks are going on auction with no doubts.

They're not a magic bullet but they are better.

Towards the end of the day when I get tired I'm bouncing around (there's plenty of rocks on this ride) I'm thinking these could be better still. But no rush.

So ride next weekend I'll get the steering damper on with bars mounted further forward like std forward GG setting & higher up.

Haven't even played with the clickers yet, but the high speed is likely where the benefit would come from.

Had the throttle cable play up. I shut the throttle but the carb didn't believe me. was on a fairly high speed section heading into a tighter gravel bit with a fence approaching, so I pulled the clutch & braked ignoring the instinct to try hit the kill till it was under control.

That was not a happy time. The cable was distressed where the tank rests on it. Fortunately I carry a spare tied to the one in use, but my combo screwdriver seems to had abandoned ship somewhere, so I got back to base & changed it out. Time for a new spare, possibly an inch longer would be nice.

Well I've drilled the forward holes in the triple. they needed some spacers underneath, so that's a bit Heath Robinson (string & sticky paper) but should be strong enough. Milling some spacers tonight & if I turn a spacer even the damper might be in operation by tonight.

Zokes on auction & getting questions. Good, 'cause I've already overspent this months bike budget.

And it even happened. Couldn't be without my lathe.

Its raining tonight but hopefully the weather will be good for Sunday.

Maybe I'll break out the knobly knife, those rock took the edge off somewhat.

Well next ride over. Bars feel better with steering stabiliser under them. Bit more of a rutty ride. I back both clickers off 4 from mid pos. Not much diff. Still feels firm in the pits esp compared with my mates twin std 07.. 3rd loop we swap bikes. First impression is his doesn't feel too bad. But then as the stutters and big bumps come I'm reminded. We swap back too soon but has felt the same thing.

Also mine is running much better at low revs and throttle. But his does pick up quite nice after that. And his brakes are better. Time for some servicing and a look at a needle with same base and a steeper taper.

So a revalve is in my future but my elbows are feeling better today (and last week) than usual despite a roll down a hill. There is still 80 mm of slider showing but I'm not sure how much of that is effective stroke.

Back