yet another no idle thread.

DDM #3, 45, 2.5, 175 main gets me very nice idle, and very smooth power delivery. no lean spots like the jd red. i like the jd red for the hit, but the ddm is so predictable and smooth. now if i could just get a little bit more outta the mid like the jd red had, that would be nice. i'm not sure which needle would have another taper so i get a little more juice out of the mid - the ddk/ddm are basically the same - and have a nice feel, but it would be nice if they didn't feel flat at the mid/top - don't get me wrong - the power deliver is electric smooth, which is great for the woods, but i'd love to have a small hit at 1/2-3/4 throttle...so i can loft the front wheel at speed and clear ditches/logs, without shifting/changing up.

switched to #2 on the needle, and it gave me a bit better transition in the mids.. guess i was still a little rich. now is the long slow process of fine tuning - i might change a jet here or there, but it's pretty close.

I just installed a #8 slide. There is a lot more room around the "shroud" where the main nozzle is. It seems like it would slow air velocity around the nozzle quite a bit. Anyway, it idles pretty good in the garage with almost no bog when I wing the throttle. I'll take her out tomorrow and see. I have been all over the board on jetting but this is my current set-up that should work.

PJ: 40
MJ: 172
Needle: CCK(2)
Air screw: 1-1/2
Slide: 8

I'm very hopeful this will be the ticket for my '03 250.

Originally Posted by stainlesscycle
DDM #3, 45, 2.5, 175 main...<snip>
switched to #2 on the needle, and it gave me a bit better transition in the mids.. guess i was still a little rich. now is the long slow process of fine tuning - i might change a jet here or there, but it's pretty close.

So, is this where you ended up settled?
What kind of altitudes are you riding?

Thanks!

-Dean
2001 xc300

yes, this is where i ended up. have felt no need to rejet - 700-2000 feet elevation, 70-100 degrees. i am getting 2+ hrs race pace out of the stock tank too :) smooth, but aggressive power delivery. not a lot of over rev, but there's always another gear. have not had a problem pulling hills a gear too high either. as close to perfect as i can gt it. no hesitation or burbles. starts easy hot and cold. no stalling, idles pretty good.

I just installed a #8 slide. There is a lot more room around the "shroud" where the main nozzle is. It seems like it would slow air velocity around the nozzle quite a bit. Anyway, it idles pretty good in the garage with almost no bog when I wing the throttle. I'll take her out tomorrow and see. I have been all over the board on jetting but this is my current set-up that should work.

PJ: 40
MJ: 172
Needle: CCK(2)
Air screw: 1-1/2
Slide: 8

I'm very hopeful this will be the ticket for my '03 250.

I'd like some feedback on a #8 slide. I have the current JD kit and my 250 seems better with the Blue needle. It will idle OK with a 38 pilot/1.5T, but it feels sleepy from idle to 1/3 throttle. After 1/3, it revs like mad. All my riding is done from 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. I doubt I'll ever need to go past 1/2. The plug is trypically black and lightly oiled. Instead of going back to the Red needle, I think I should try a leaner slide.

JD doesn't stock half sizes, so I can't go from 6.5 to 7.5, but he says there is not a great difference from one size to another. He has suggested getting an 8. How many of you have tried an 8?

Back