2010 EC 300 Water pump shaft snapped & bearing collapsed

I installed the Go Faster's Update Kit along with a Alloy impeller kit from 2T Racing.

Here is the case after removal of pump cover and cleanup,

DSC02542_zps81eecd3d.jpg

Here is a shot of my old impeller,

DSC02544_zps09a50eca.jpg

I wasn't too thrilled to find this corroded mounting bolt, I think there was some leakage through the gasket. But I never noticed any change in my coolant level, it must have been very minor. I replaced the bolt.

DSC02551_zps578ca53f.jpg

Here was the stepless Otiker hose clamp that I removed.
DSC02553_zps5c619e66.jpg

Looks Great!!!

I too installed my new pump cover from Mark - Thanks!!

I also took the checkpoint impeller and modified it so that it was basically the same as the OEM one. Except IMO I think it will move more coolant.

For proper install I pulled the right side cover all the way off.
Which I was glad I did as 1 (dowel pin at water pump) of the 2 dowell pins was a bit rusty.
Cleaned that all up with dremel and filled with anti-seeze.
I then spray painted the inside of the new cover black.
Installed my modified checkpoint impelller....it was hitting just a bit.
Took the water pump cover off again and cleaned up the impeller where it had black paint on it.
Checked it again.
All clear.
Removed all paint with brake cleaner.
Reinstalled side cover (did not have to replace gasket).
So far good.....

checkpointimpellermod_zpsf1be2007.jpg

Looks Great!!!

I too installed my new pump cover from Mark - Thanks!!

I also took the checkpoint impeller and modified it so that it was basically the same as the OEM one. Except IMO I think it will move more coolant.

For proper install I pulled the right side cover all the way off.
Which I was glad I did as 1 (dowel pin at water pump) of the 2 dowell pins was a bit rusty.
Cleaned that all up with dremel and filled with anti-seeze.
I then spray painted the inside of the new cover black.
Installed my modified checkpoint impelller....it was hitting just a bit.
Took the water pump cover off again and cleaned up the impeller where it had black paint on it.
Checked it again.
All clear.
Removed all paint with brake cleaner.
Reinstalled side cover (did not have to replace gasket).
So far good.....

checkpointimpellermod_zpsf1be2007.jpg

I see you ground yours down like I did mine. I ended up not fitting it but might if yours works well. I was worried removing the material from the fins would stop the coolant flowing as well as it should. IMO Glenns method of removing material from behind the impellor is a much better fix.

Well after spending many hrs. chasing my poor top end power, then cleaning pv, taking out govenor and adding a shim, installing new Rekluse outer basket and clutch cover, solving the air box issue, installing new rings, and sorting jetting......now I see this thread.

I'll have a brand new bike by the time its all done lol.....I'm glad I stumbled across this thread though

Emailed Mark today about new gasket, impellor and cover for WP ;)

Hmm I've only just read this thread which has me very very nervous as approx 30hrs ago I simply replaced the std plastic impeller with a checkpoint alloy one. Never measured clearances or anything.
But it has been in there for at least 20-30hrs. Now I have a 2 day ride this weekend, should I check it out before I go or just leave it alone til I get back? I have a feeling ill be sad when I do have a look :-(

I'm surprised you could even get the water pump cover on with the checkpoint installed. Not a chance on my 2010.

Hmm I've only just read this thread which has me very very nervous as approx 30hrs ago I simply replaced the std plastic impeller with a checkpoint alloy one. Never measured clearances or anything.
But it has been in there for at least 20-30hrs. Now I have a 2 day ride this weekend, should I check it out before I go or just leave it alone til I get back? I have a feeling ill be sad when I do have a look :-(

I thought the same after I read this news. I did rings a month ago and inspected wp very quickly...all looked good at a glance. I double checked last night and sure enuf....wear on inside of case and impeller. I order the gear from GF but took some time and buffed out the wear grooves in the case and slightly touched up the impeller tips a hair with flat file. I used the spray paint method that was suggested by Glenn. It worked fine for a temp fix. I wont be riding my bike because of work comittments for the next wk however....long enuf to receive parts from GF. Can you take your impeller and have it machined down on the backside? Or stack another gasket/spacer wthe existing?

I had done the very same,took the impeller to a machine shop. There's limited
material that can be taken from the back side of the impeller,This worked fine on one bike,(200) The other impeller was machined and still made contact
so I fabed a spacer from an old skid plate,that was less than 3/16''. Has worked fine since.Best of luck.

John

So i had catastrophic water pump bearing/ shaft failure today and
I even checked water pump impeller clearance before assembling.
Is there anyone that can beat me at the damage costs?:D

I have managed to fix the casing. Bought new bearings, found water pump shaft and gear in spares box. Everything was less than 20euro:cool:
Hope i will be riding next week without other disasters

I thought I had no issues with this when I installed the CP impeller but obviously I was wrong
Although I don't think I should do anything considering I have at least 150 hours of hard rock riding since installing it. Maybe just clean it up with a dremmel stone or sandpaper?

My stock plastic impeller looks to have rubbed the cover for the last 15 years. I think it has given itself clearance long ago by doing this. I would personally keep running it and just polish the inside of the cover and maybe the top of that impeller.

I am still learning a lot about these bikes and working on them, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Having said that, I don't see anything to be concerned. After 150 hours, it has sorted itself out. Just polish and ride on.

Back