2010 EC 300 Water pump shaft snapped & bearing collapsed

I did not have a plastic impellor and it wasn't rubbing The failure actually happened at the opposite side of the impellor shaft. That bearing let go or the shaft first then the bearing.

Anyone ever tried this ?

No I haven't I see that it's listed for 01-09 ????
On another topic hose clamps. are they a one time use thing? Or special tool required? I'm in the process of installing checkpoint impellers in both bikes
2012 200xc & 250xc thanks.

Anyone ever tried this ?
you could order an 09 gasket and see if it is the same, if so, then you have the extra one that you would need anyway :) GoFasters may be able to tell you if the part numbers are the same for 01-13 water pump gasket...

I suspect what that spacer in the kit does in add clearance for the impeller, which is deeper.

Gaskets are the same, as are the sidecovers. Pump covers are different, but only in external profile (flatter) from what I can tell. It seems to me like they tried to eliminate a secondary machining operation on the inside surface and rely on the cast profile, or the castings are undersized and uneven, which is why some appear to have a machined surface on only part of the area. That would be OK as long as clearances hold the impeller off the cover, but its not always the case.

Is it necessary to remove the engine from the frame to take out the side cover on a '11 ? Am I right to assume that when taking the side cover the entire shaft and plastic gear simply detach from the rest and come along with the cover ?

Just don't slap this in and think all is well, it may not be. The pump covers as of late are sloppy in their finishing. I got a warranty replacement for mine that looked better but still had problems. Perhaps it was something else in the stack like the shaft or side cover. Temporarily install the impeller, the cover, and check clearance. Mine hit and needed to be releived. Use clay between the impeller and cover for a reasonable estimation. Around .5 mm should be good, its not that critical especially with the new impeller. Set this up right and you should have no more problems.

I have done all the above,the shaft won't budge .5mm taken out of the back?
and how exactly a lathe i presume? also what's the trick for the hose clamps?
Thanks

Is it necessary to remove the engine from the frame to take out the side cover on a '11 ? Am I right to assume that when taking the side cover the entire shaft and plastic gear simply detach from the rest and come along with the cover ?

I simply removed the pump cover then the side cover,after draining the fluids
first. 12' model though. and yes shaft and gear all come out together.

John,

You mean the impeller bolt won't budge from the shaft right? If you remove the pin from the shaft, and gear, the impeller and shaft will just come out the front with half of the two part pump seal. Do this, and clamp it in a vise with alloy soft jaws. If you still can't break it, remove the pump seal and try a little heat. Next, drill the head off and just twist the impeller. It may break but who cares. You can then grab the insert or stub with pliers. I've done one every way noted so far!

I used an end mill with a pilot to cut the rear of the impellar. Lathe would be better though.

Hose clamps pop apart with a screw driver between the small rolled/crimped looking sections. Hard to describe, just pry around and it will be obvious when it moves. You can reuse them, but I like the worm drive clamps.

Here's another look :

1259824150pompajpg-1--450x600.jpg

1316673699pompa-20r-800x600.jpg

1316673644kit-20pompa-450x600.jpg

Obviously just a spacer, impeller looks a bit deeper as well. Kit should save a lot of trouble checking/setting clearance of impeller though.

John,

You mean the impeller bolt won't budge from the shaft right? If you remove the pin from the shaft, and gear, the impeller and shaft will just come out the front with half of the two part pump seal. Do this, and clamp it in a vise with alloy soft jaws. If you still can't break it, remove the pump seal and try a little heat. Next, drill the head off and just twist the impeller. It may break but who cares. You can then grab the insert or stub with pliers. I've done one every way noted so far!

I used an end mill with a pilot to cut the rear of the impellar. Lathe would be better though.

Hose clamps pop apart with a screw driver between the small rolled/crimped looking sections. Hard to describe, just pry around and it will be obvious when it moves. You can reuse them, but I like the worm drive clamps.
The soft jaw worked fine. its the impeller, once installed hitting the cover
rotating by hand. I just dropped covers and impeller @ a local mach. shop
after speaking w/ this fellow he knew what to do. I got the clamp off easily
i guess its worm drive. Thanks

So the 200xc impeller went smoothly,on to the 250xc so very glad I did WOW
the stock impeller had been significantly rubbing the cover. the wear marks are
on each blade. cover has grooving. bound to fail at some point for sure.
There is also a color difference in the two stock impellers. the one from the 250 almost looks burnt? Thanks for the tips GMP.

Ready to fail at any time! Factory should get an earful about this screw up. Check your bikes.

I'll take some photos of mine today and you can let me know what you think if its rubbed or not. I'll include case and impellor

If the white plastic impeller has dark edges on the vanes, it's been hitting the cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, you can see the tips of the vanes have evidence. The groove in the cover can be secondary machine work as I mentioned, but that's not to say the impeller is not hitting in the same place. My bike was a lot worse. That impeller is very discolored, pictures of those in multiple pieces are usually that color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It'll be replaced with a checkpoint impellor. Will be sure to gap the cover appropriately. The shaft should be fine still right?

Back