2010 EC 300 Water pump shaft snapped & bearing collapsed

Yes it is. At least its fixed. I rode in Hancock, NY yesterday on some long killer hillclimbs, bike pulled like a freight train and did not loose a drop of coolant.

A breif off topic excursion:

This was the annual spring "Kuggamugga" trail ride. Three loops, plus a kids loop. Used some of the same trails as the summer dual sport ride. Make no mistake about it, the summer ride is not your average dual sport, its serious, some WEC trail is included and tough hero sections. I've been saying for years the east coast members here should get together up there.

http://www.bearcreeksportsmen.com/kugga.html

If this is something a number of guys may want to do we can start another thread.

AND ANOTHER ONE
I so did not want to look, but this thread has been fricking bothering me.
Look what I found....

impeller-04_zps7fe8f52e.jpg

Now here is the interesting thing. Not only was it rubbing like the other photos, mine is also rubbing on the side. BUT only on 2 of the impellers...... This makes me believe the cover was not fab'd with any tolerances or not checked.
If you look at this photo below. I believe that the shiny part of the cover that was ground down was done at the factory. Whereas the dark groove marks were made by the impeller....

impeller-01_zps07ef7d21.jpg

impeller-02_zps5c803b5d.jpg

Last edited:
AND ANOTHER ONE
I so did not want to look, but this thread has been fricking bothering me.
Look what I found....

impeller-04_zps7fe8f52e.jpg

Now here is the interesting thing. Not only was it rubbing like the other photos, mine is also rubbing on the side. BUT only on 2 of the impellers...... This makes me believe the cover was not fab'd with any tolerances or not checked.
If you look at this photo below. I believe that the shiny part of the cover that was ground down was done at the factory. Whereas the dark groove marks were made by the impeller....

impeller-01_zps07ef7d21.jpg

impeller-02_zps5c803b5d.jpg

Stu, mine looked just like that. It wasn't rubbing on the sides though.
I bet your glad you checked it.

I had the pressed bearing in the case that houses the pump shaft let go and that's what tanked my engine. I would highly suggest everyone check it out because having the impeller go is one thing but the shaft or bearing letting go is very bad news

I can't believe how many bikes have this problem yet it has never been addressed by the factory, pretty sad.. Obviously not something that just started happening..

As much as I love my Gasser, something like this and the lack of a fix from the factory will have me thinking about the other bike brands out there when it comes time for a new bike...

Great now I know Im going to go home and pull the cover and find more annoyances with this bike. Stay tuned for pics.

Great now I know Im going to go home and pull the cover and find more annoyances with this bike. Stay tuned for pics.
If you find a similar problem with your impeller...My offer to take that piece of crap off your hands still stands. I won't even charge ya, to take it:D

I'm curious. With the common woes the 2012 owners have had to address...Are the owners of 2013 models investigating known issues concerning the 2012s? Have those known issues been largely addressed, by the factory?

Just got done talking with our pump shop mechanic at our mill. I work at a paper mill. Let me first say that motorcycle and stock pumps are very similar..though I do realize this is two different worlds. The mechanic said that their impellers rub all the time and they even have to "Take up" on the pump to increase the pressure. Meaning they decrease the distance until it rubs. Makes me wonder if gasgas didn't just use the plastic ones to get in the ballpark and then allowed in their manufacturing that some would rub.

If you find a similar problem with your impeller...My offer to take that piece of crap off your hands still stands. I won't even charge ya, to take it:D

I'm curious. With the common woes the 2012 owners have had to address...Are the owners of 2013 models investigating known issues concerning the 2012s? Have those known issues been largely addressed, by the factory?

I Just cant wait till I get all the wrinkles ironed out of this thing.

Just got done talking with our pump shop mechanic at our mill. I work at a paper mill. Let me first say that motorcycle and stock pumps are very similar..though I do realize this is two different worlds. The mechanic said that their impellers rub all the time and they even have to "Take up" on the pump to increase the pressure. Meaning they decrease the distance until it rubs. Makes me wonder if gasgas didn't just use the plastic ones to get in the ballpark and then allowed in their manufacturing that some would rub.

I am glad you posted this. I was thinking the same thing.
Now waiting to hear what Glenn thinks?

I have several pumps here at work, and when there is too much clearance between the rotors and casing we loose product flow. We call it "slip". Our pumps are PD stainless steel twin rotors w/ stainless steel casings..."O" ring w/ flush seals..sorry...got on a roll!

It's some what the same, but if you had too much clearence between the rotor and waterpump housing, then it could just cavitate... or "slip"just thinking out loud! But rotor to case and face plate contact is not a good thing!:eek:

Last edited:
CAM00217_zps694cbe00.jpg

Just took this one apart. It is a 2011 EC300. The guy was complaining about a vibration. Would this cause a vibration? Probably I think. The bearing look good.

One can only hope that things will change in this respect. They really have the art/scence of building an excellent performing bike down.

For you guys that need a quick fix, either the Checkpoint impeller or the kit from Motocrosscenter. Kit is easy. If just using the Checkpoint impeller, you can stack gaskets to acheive adequate clearance if machining the rear of the impeller is a problem. Also you could get an older cover from a part out. They had a fully machined inner surface, never had any interferance problems with the old bikes. The Checkpoint part has been around awhile, its actually a copy of the LTR impeller, which Les designed around the older bikes. Just do something because those pics are not looking good.:eek:

Glenn
Is the Checkpoint impeller threaded like the OEM one?

Since its easy to see where the impeller rubs, one would think it should be easy enough to file the impeller down to add a little clearance.

Back