94 CR 250 Ground Up Restoration IMS Wide Ratio Transmission Issue

Great build, I love seeing older bikes resurrected back to New.:D You are doing a great job. Subscribed. Keep the pics coming.

I made some more progress. I just received a new Galfer rear brake line. It fit really well.

I didn't want to take any chances with a chain derailment so I bought a TM Factory chain guide. I had my doubts when I ordered the guide but the pictures don't do it justice. This a seriously overbuilt part, I don't know how you would break it. My gasser stock chain guide looks small and fragile in comparison. I will be buying one for the gasser very soon. The TM guide bolted up without any problems and came with new mount bolts.

I just got a new chain slider from Tuff Racing because Honda doesn't stock them anymore for the 94.I also installed new upper and lower chain rollers.

New Oem rear disc guard and shock guard.

Last edited:
Thanks! Here are some more updates.

Interesting, the FMF packaging has a closed course only disclaimer but the spark arrestor is stamped as USFS approved.

I installed new Honda grommets and aluminum sleeves and she bolted right up.

Last edited:
Lower mount with new Honda grommet/rubber and cad plated bolts.

New Honda Orem front brake line guide.

Last edited:
[New Motion Pro throttle cable,made in India!

New Honda radiator overflow hose...it was only 1.99.

New Twin Air Filter oiled up with Bel Ray oil and I am old school, I put a coating of Bel Ray Saltwater proof grease on the leading edge of the filter.

Last edited:
New GPI rad hoses installed.

Throttle cable mounted up without a problem to the Domino throttle with the Honda throttle cover.

Front brake finished. This was kinda a bear because the caliper carrying pin hole and brake carrier pin holes were corroded. I bought new Honda pins and rubber boots and cleaned the interior pin holes with a .22 caliber bronze brush. The wave rotor was the same diameter as the stock disc and it fit fine but the brake carrier had worn a little so I had to make sure everything cleared correctly before tightening everything up. I am surprised that the front is so strong. It isn't as strong as the brake on my gasser but it is impressive for a 24 year old motorcycle.

I bought these a month ago and they are the business. One 1/4 and the other is 3/8 drives. I already had a Milwaukee 1200 pound Torque Drive wrench which could rip the axle nut off my Nissan Frontier front axles in 2 seconds after I had broken a 1/2 inch bar.( I learned ,always use a 3/4 inch breaker bar or Milwaukee torque wrench on car/truck axles). Anyway, these two ratchets are powerful and fast, it really makes everything go more quickly.

The clutch and throttle cables are installed, the rad hoses are on so I am waiting a on a skid plate,frame guards,hand guards a trial tech and a steering dampener.
This weekend I will install the power valve into the new 96 cylinder. Hopefully, I will have all the parts to finish the engine built in the next 8 weeks, this will include a Rekluse Clutch basket, auto clutch,flywheel weight and some other stuff. :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
image_zpsesrybdai.jpeg

image_zpsug1m2cmn.jpeg

New Motion Pro throttle cable,made in India!
image_zpszf3zaomc.jpeg

New Honda radiator overflow hose...it was only 1.99.

image_zpsgesjlqvi.jpeg

image_zps7n7gjrag.jpeg

New Twin Air Filter oiled up with Bel Ray oil and I am old school, I put a coating of Bel Ray Saltwater proof grease on the leading edge of the filter.

Looking good. Old school?? I guess I am old school as well as I use white lithium water proof grease on the air filter seal as well as belray filter oil.

Do All PWK ASIs Have Venturi Winglets?

Any progress??

I made a little progress today. I got in a new PWK carb but I think they sent the wrong one because it doesn't have the two winglets in the bottom of the Venturi. Any know if this is a ASI?

Last edited:
Rekluse Auto Clutch and Rekluse Clutch Basket.

I also received my Rekluse Auto Clutch and Rekluse Clutch Basket.

Last edited:
Beautiful job. All I can say is "wow".

I enduro-ized a '94 KX-250 back in the day and regretted not starting from the'94 CR as a platform instead. The KX was tight on the perimeter frame rails so additional fuel had to be carried 'up and outward" with an IMS tank - really through off the ergos and balance - at least at the beginning of the ride when the tank was full.

The wide ratio tranny caught my eye on your build as that was what my KX lacked - and I gained when I bought an EC300 back in 2001... Actually, the gasgas gave me everything I wanted on my old KX right out of the box - big bore 300, six speeds, lighting, 18" rear wheel, great tight woods steering geometry, etc. etc.

My KX had the kitchen sink thrown at it though.. Slavens porting, 18" rear wheel, suspension was dialed, Had to sell it to buy baby furniture when my daughter was born... Went from nine bikes in the garage down to two back then... Priorities do change in life - no regrets... ;)

jeff

Does anyone know if the carb above is an ASI?

Just a PWK. I think the Air Striker (AS1) refers specifically to the fins on the intake, but also has quad vents.

A little reading and it seems the AS1 also has a shorter body, moving the slide closer to the piston which increases response... but they do come in 2 lengths.

You also have many variations across brands with electronics, etc.

I think the Sudco Description you are looking for is PWK 38 QV Air Striker

P1020453.jpg

Back