Frame Reinforcement

PEB

I replaced my frame 11 monthes ago. I now find that one of the new frame rails is flat and starting to fold into itself. I plan on having it beefed up as it is still straight. SHould I add a plate that spans the frame rails or just have some material added to the bottom of each rail?

We can do both. We will need to find some tubing that we can cut in half to reinforce the bottom of the frame and I can cut some plates to tie the rails together. I just gotta find time to do it.

you're better off splitting some tubing and welding it on. if you start bracing in new directions, it may get awful stiff... anything you add might stiffen in ways you don't want...

what kind of skid plate are you running??? or is it tweaks from hard front hits?

I have the hyde with a piece of 3/8 inch hpde bolted to the bottom of it. This last season I wrapped the frame rails with rubber tubing as well.

You need something more solid. The plastic skid plate is transfering too much force to the frame.

An aluminum skid plate would dissipate the force out over a wider area.

I'm trying to get the Scorpion guys to make an alloy version of the Hyde combo. I think it would be great and they would sell a ton. If you agree tell them, better chance it will happen.

Lookey here Glenn.........

http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=10664.0

IMG_1508.jpg

Wow, there is a Force version! I'll have to contact them about '12 fitment. This is what I need and have been waiting for. I would prefer a modular approach, just the pipe skid section that can be mounted to the skid plate with bars, but this is OK.

I've seen all sorts of home brew solutions, especially in Hawaii. That IT site brings back memories of my '83 IT490.

So you guys think the aluminum would be tougher than the plastic? I can't see how it would be. I have about a half inch of the toughest plastic available strapped to the bottom of my bike. The rockcrawler guys all seem to use the plastic as armor under their rigs. Maybe I'll remove the hdpe sheet and add a 3mm aluminum plate.

I don't think the alloy is neccessarily better than what you have. I've totally trashed a couple alloy plates, and on my Cannondale I bent a 3/16" thk Utah Sportcycle alloy plate AND the frame rail up into the ignition cover. The plastic should "flow" in a hard hit rather than the steel frame tube. Paul, I think you'll just beat the crap out of anything you mount there!:D Probably just an unlucky hard hit on a sharp edge.

That Force combo is pricy! $280 US without shipping.:eek::eek: Not happening. I just need to get something for the '12 when it shows up before I can even ride it.

Back