Sherco

Yeah but if you apply that same logic Trev, then its still just a dirt bike and as well as we all maintain them sometimes sht still just happens. Look at my shock failure. I totally hear what you are saying though. Like I said, silly choice to remove something thats so reliable and offers no real negatives to keep. For what its worth it usually takes me longer to put my gloves back on after a break than it does to start my bike. I have zero issues kicking a 2T in the 250/300 size range over.

Yup that's the first thing I mentioned when I seen this bike! I wouldn't bring a bike without a kickstarter deep into the woods.

You could take one in, but ...

E-start four strokes, particularly efi'd ones work well. They love the constant, dependable rpm an electric motor gives to start, and in almost every case the valves open and close when they should and a timely spark ignites the fuel.

What happens when there's too much fuel, or a little residual water, or the bike's been upside down (really Trev???) is still up for grabs. It seems like e-starts on KTM 2 strokes are added ballast, with about a 50/50 chance of lighting things up. The GasGas system is better, but still shy of 100%.

Beta and Sherco (and Ossa, in mock-ups) have buried the e-starters under the engine cases, but the Italians add a redundant kick lever.

Huskies you get the pleasure of lighting up with that gnarled old stick :D

We had to jump start a guy's WR250X at the trails the other day because it croaked and had no kickstarter. He was lucky it died at the trail head. It was the Gas Gases fault too...the guy just haaadddd to stop and tell me how awesome he thought my bike looked. :)

I've had a variety of e-start problems on several different bikes, and just couldn't go on deep rides without the lever backup.

Unfortunately yes my bike ends upside down more than I'd like! Maybe I'm just hard on bikes like my friends say, I've blown a couple clutches and already bent my new pipe, tore a seat cover and ripped my left shroud right off and scratched the crap out of a fork stantion from ghost riding the bike off a hill climb into a buddies studded rear wheel in 3 rides and I don't crash often but when I do god help me!

Keep in mind that (I am told) the generator on the Sherco puts out twice the juice that the orange bike does. Much more juice to keep the battery charged.

Keep in mind that (I am told) the generator on the Sherco puts out twice the juice that the orange bike does. Much more juice to keep the battery charged.

It's nice they've done this so adding better lights is easy, but I won't buy a woods bike that is estart only.

KTM 350EXC-F = 170W vs. Sherco 300i = 220W

I've owned a 2012 350 EXC-F, put 100hours of riding time on it incl. the Romaniacs and exactly used the kick starter one time - when it was new to test if it is working! Same with my 2013 Husaberg TE300 2-stroke (which is basically a KTM 300EXC in blue) since the 2013 KTM 2-stroke models have a new starter motor now which is much stronger. Starts the bike cold at 5?C no problem. If you take care about your battery, being concerned about getting stranded without a kick starter for backup is IMO not more likely than a failure of any other component on the bike. If your fears are like that, you should stay away from EFI bikes anyway; and electronic ignitions; and water cooling; and ....

Regarding the Sherco 300i I've been interested in that bike for quite some time now, but they are very rare outside of France and the support/knowledge online is basically non-existent. Parts have also been a problem to some extend, but with the bikes coming to the US I have big hopes that there will be some more aftermarket stuff available. Also seeing what Clay has been doing for the GG brand I think that, even being based in Europe, the time has come to give the Sherco a try. Can't wait for the first ride reports!

Michael

It's nice they've done this so adding better lights is easy, but I won't buy a woods bike that is estart only.

The way we ride here in North America is sometimes difficult for some of the smaller European companies to understand. The idea of being able to go 100 miles offroad in Colorado or Canada is a unbelievable concept for them. That's why we get small tanks and e start only. The sales manager for Sherco went to see a potential distributor in Australia recently and was told the same things I told them about tank size and e start only. If we get big enough for either GG or Sherco, then they will be more open to building bikes specifically for us.
That's why we sell two brands now. We should have something for ALMOST everyone! :)

Very true about the geographic distances Clay. I consider 100km out of a tank to be the bare minimum requirement and I only just get it with the Gasser. The average day on the bike usually falls ino the 150km range.

I still want a Kicker back-up on my bikes. Glad there's one on my Gasser, because I've had to use it a few times when the starter didn't feel like working.
(usually when the bike is cold)

I've seen way too many problems with KTM, Bergs, Huskies, Suzukis and Gassers to rely solely on an e-start.

Someone should make a kit that has a pull rope you wrap around the ignition flywheel to pull start the bike.

One thing that eases my mind a bit about the Sherco e-starter is that the motor was designed from the ground up not to have a kickstarter. The e-start is not an afterthought like it is on the KTM and GG. I am sure that Sherco is 100% confident in the e-starter on the new 2 strokes.

FWIW, BRP is NOT including a pull start on a lot of their e-start equipped snowmobiles. I would be a lot more concerned about my 800cc twin cyl sled not starting in -30C temps than I would be in my 250cc single not starting in the woods. No sledders seem to be very concerned about the lack of a manual starter.

I think that the lack of an estarter is a sign that EFI is coming soon on the Sherco. For some reason, EFI bikes dont start well on the kicker. I had a Husky TE250 a few years ago that wouldnt start on the kicker but would fire up as soon as you pressed the button. I dont think the kicker spins the motor at the right speed to fire?

One thing that eases my mind a bit about the Sherco e-starter is that the motor was designed from the ground up not to have a kickstarter. The e-start is not an afterthought like it is on the KTM and GG. I am sure that Sherco is 100% confident in the e-starter on the new 2 strokes.

FWIW, BRP is NOT including a pull start on a lot of their e-start equipped snowmobiles. I would be a lot more concerned about my 800cc twin cyl sled not starting in -30C temps than I would be in my 250cc single not starting in the woods. No sledders seem to be very concerned about the lack of a manual starter.

I think that the lack of an estarter is a sign that EFI is coming soon on the Sherco. For some reason, EFI bikes dont start well on the kicker. I had a Husky TE250 a few years ago that wouldnt start on the kicker but would fire up as soon as you pressed the button. I dont think the kicker spins the motor at the right speed to fire?

Much easier to carry booster cables on a sled.
EFI mx bikes start just fine on a kick starter.

People always say "how many times have you used the kick starter"
Not many but it only takes one time to make you want one!

Mark Berg and I must have hit the e start button on the Sherco 2T pre-producyion bike that we rode in July 50 times and it never failed to engage.

Sled's however have and exposed primary clutch (essentially their flywheel) that is easy to wrap a rope around to start the sled. I had an 08 BRP 800 sled and had to start it once with the rope that was included in the tool kit for just this reason as my recoil f@#d up. It was surprising at how easy it actually was to start an 800 twin with nothing more than a piece of string. BRP may be removing the pull starter off their sleds, but I bet they're leaving the rope in the tool kit for starting in emergencies.

Back