Skid Plate

Tom Zelko

Does anyone know who makes a skid plates that is any good for Gasgas??
1) Flatland. stop making them. Theres was the best except for the brackets
2) CRD. not importing any more, besides they were way to thin
3) Hyde. well they are plastic, enough said
4) Force. out of Australia nice radiator guards but still no skid plate!
5) custom!! way to expensive!
please help cause we have big rocks here. Thanks Tom

How about Moose? Reasonably priced and heavy duty. Fit is decent but could be better. I opened up the rear hole and it helped.

Don't discount the Hyde guard. It works extremely well. I doubt you could put a hole in it to punch through a case. If you do, I think a hole in your case will be the least of your problems.

Skid plate

I tried the hyde and I did'nt get a hole in the case, but my frame was bent up pretty bad after taking it off. and my pipe burned out a nice little section out of it, and it was like grinding on my skateboard on a half pipe when I would go over a big log when it was wet. No thanks but thanks for the reply I will check into the Moose and let ya know what I find out. PS if anyone has a moose please let me know how they are Thanks Tom

Scorpion Racing in Canada has just finished their new Gas Gas plate. I am hoping to get one of the first ones within a week or 2.

I'm very interested in this subject also!
I will be in the market for an aluminum one that will fit an 08 nicely. It must have many and stout mounting points unlike the CRD version I have on my 06 that I ended up having to add extra mounting points to in the center that hooked the frame cradles to to keep it from peeling off. Most skids come with what I added in the first place. :mad:

If you can find a CRD, and have access to someone with a milling machine.... the stock alloy bracket (made from flat alloy bar stock) is way too soft and comes loose easily. I even stripped one bolt hole and it wasn't like I was reefing it down. A friend copied the stock piece from a piece of steel and it tightens up much better and doesn't move or vibrate now (or fall off like it did once). Its holding up pretty good and its had its share of rock bashing.

The CRD is way too thin, it's not just the brakets. It is almost half the thickness of the Moose Plate.

skid plates

thanks for all the info, this forum is great for this, I ordered the moose plates yesterday and am getting info on all the other skid plates. I will do the test and let everyone know whats up. In Hawaii we have plenty of rocky river beds. Thanks Tom 07-300 and a 08-300(in box still)

The Flatland Racing skid plate is the best aluminum plate available (that I have tried).
It's mounts don't fit the frame rails of the '05 and later bikes perfectly, but all one has to do is to move the rear mount hole about 5/8" to the left side (and then countersink the hole) for it to fit properly.

I am currently using the Hyde skid plate (not skid plate and pipe protector), and so far have not had any damage to my frame rails.
I like the way it slides over rocks better than the aluminum skid plates.

skid plate

well, I ordered the moose plate, and the scorpion plate. After looking at how the scorpion plate is made it seems to be the best by far. The problem is the scorpion plate will not be out for a couple weeks and we have 3 08's that need plates today. The scorpion plates are made in Canada and they also make radiator guards. A new guard is in the making and it looks great. Tom

well, I ordered the moose plate, and the scorpion plate. After looking at how the scorpion plate is made it seems to be the best by far. The problem is the scorpion plate will not be out for a couple weeks and we have 3 08's that need plates today. The scorpion plates are made in Canada and they also make radiator guards. A new guard is in the making and it looks great. Tom

Do you have a link to the scorpion plate?

The Meca System skid plates that Nick mentioned above sure look nice and very well made with nice stainless mounting hardware. All their stuff looked nice. No US importers. Get on it Go Fasters!

Here is a link to thier site which is mostly in French. Many of the Gas Gas pics didn't open for me but if you go the the DOCUMENTATIONS section you can open a PDF catalog of all their stuff through 07 and it has the GG stuff and pics also.

http://www.mecasystem.fr/

This is a KTM skidplate to give you an idea but the GG is similar

pimgprime_648.jpg

Skidad in MA

I have a few Mecasystem in stock still. When i became a GG dealer i had to find this stuff on my own. I tried Moose, CRD and Mecasystem and on the 2st Mecasystem was the best. On the 4st its the B&B of which i have several in stock. I'm sure others have had liked what they run, this is just my experiance.

skid plate

Dealers do sell the Hyde product including ourselves. In fact, Hyde is helping with product for Jim Senecal at the Nationals. I've also inquired to Flatland out of Kansas to upgrade his designs for the radiator guards and skid plate for the 07-08 machine. We are currently in the process of getting him a bike to template by next Friday the 23rd. Mike from Flatland states it will take him about a month of work to produce the new protection.

Back