The Lectron - Review (vs SmartCarb)

For now I'm just going to ride it as is..

I'll do something with the floats when I revalve the shock.

Well... I've put many hours on the Smart Carb now. I'd have to check to be certain but I did around 10hrs last week alone ;) ..I still can't get the SC to work for me. Its very sensitive to adjustment and it seems that the slightest variance will cause inconsistancies between runs.

I've pulled the shock and revalved it, and gone back to the Keihin for some time. A pm has been sent to APT and I'm still willing to work with this carb down the track but for the moment, I want the set and forget that the Keihin offers me (ironic isn't it).

Last week I did around 300-400kms of riding with Lonetree and in comparison his 09 250R (with headmod by the same tuner) ran much stronger and cleaner than my 2010 250R. We both used similar amounts of fuel with him coming in slightly more economical, however mine was running rich off the bottom which would be to blame. I felt like I was making adjustments every time we stopped (and I'm sure he'd agree), where the AS1 with 40 N3EG#3 185 just kept on running they way it would be expected to. The same way my bike always did with the AS2 40 N3CW#3 178. Thats what swayed me back to old faithfull.

Michael has sent me a new nozzle to try, and Corey has sent some replacement D washers for the SC MR. The R080 I had modded is showing the rich->lean issues the stock needle showed, although after removing material is now running further towards the lean end of the adjustment. I don't think I'l touch it anymore, but also have the A100 stock needle here to use. I've aso ordered some set screw collars as a more permanent fix to the D washer which allowed some side to side rotation of the MR.

The slide spring on the SC eventually broke in well and didn't show any further signs of binding. The slide and all other components still look like new. The clicker assembly at the top was always hard to work with, however I haven't experienced issues as others have with it. I'm sure about the float levels if it has changed since originally setting it. I may do some bench testing while its out of the bike.

All in all, each and every ride since rebuilding my bike at 260hrs (now 315hrs so 55 hours ago), except the first break in ride using the Lectron, has been spent using the Smart Carb. The whole time I have been swapping, changing, modifying, and basically just trying to get it to work. Its time for a break!

APT has offered a few times to warrant their money back guarentee which is great customer service, however I'd still love to see this product work consistantly. I've had glimpses of what it can do and liked what I saw. Maybe Corey will exchange it for a cast model down the track, or maybe things will develop some more and he'll send out the revised parts.. I'm still hoping to have Dave at TSP do some Dyno work with the SC but don't want to send it to him with the Stock MR (which may have been faulty), and the R080 which I modified, as I dont think that would be fair to APT.

Hmmm.. Tough call Rick

They all have advantages and disadvantages depending on how you look at them. When set up correctly they all work really well. When not setup right they are all frustrating.. While I appreciate the simplicity of the metering rod carbs, its also essentially their shortcoming being that there is no way of varying fuel delivery at this point in time. Lectron addresses this by offering multiple metering rods. APT should read the engines demands to a certain extent, however be it my bike, some other variable or my particular smart carb I did not get this. The bike ran really well at some throttle openings, but no so much at others. It was always a compromise, as it is with all the other carbs. I faced similar issues with the Lectron but to a lesser extent. If these MR carbs had a method of finer tuning the bottom end (ie air screw etc) I think they'd be easier for the masses to get right, as all my issues were related to being too rich off the bottom once setting the correct mid to top response. I like the sealed nature of the MR carbs, and while the clear bowl on the Lectron looked trick it was hard to drain if you got water into it. APT addressed this with a drain. The Lectron leaked overflow onto the linkage/countershaft sprocket which annoyed me. I like that the APT is fully sealed. They both look very good too and I don't doubt for a second that their are gains to be had in power and economy due to the atomization. I just think they have some more development to go. Basically I see them as an expensive JD jetting kit, where if you want to be in the ballpark with good economy and power they will achieve this quite easily.

For me, with the knowledge I have, and the spares in my kit the PWK does everything I need it to and does it reliably with no inconsistancies.

At the end of the day, they all worked. My particular Smart Carb didn't meet my expectations and left me chasing my tail in circles more of then not, with no where to go.. This is not to say they are all like this, its just mine (and maybe a handful of others) experiences. Many others have found it works well for them. The Lectron seems to be a little more refined than the Smart Carb at this point in time, and probably offered the simplest experience in terms of installing it, dialling it, and then just riding out of all 3 carbs.

It depends how you value your time and money. I like to tinker so I've enjoyed playing with all 3 carbs. If I could take all 3 and mush them in one I'd have a beaut carb that uses multiple adjustable circuits, a clear but drainable bowl, sealed unit, and the atomization technology.. Seriously though, for the amount of dollars for any of the upgrades you'd probably seem more improvement by spending it on fresh tyres or a new piston and rings.

If these MR carbs had a method of finer tuning the bottom end (ie air screw etc) I think they'd be easier for the masses to get right

Done. Any Lectron can be had with a air screw for bottom end. I tried it, works great just don't need it for my 2 strokes which I have no issues dialing in. (lower screw with gold base)

20130619_092030-XL.jpg

... and left me chasing my tail in circles more often then not, with no where to go..

Fun to watch for a while, but after awhile somebody gets dizzy and falls over ;)

Thanks for all of your hard work Jake - lots of us live vicariously through your jetting adventures :D

I must be lucky. My Lectron came to me set up for Phoenix at 2,000 feet and 100F. All I had to do was lean the PowerJet a half turn and I was ready to go.

The test will be our first race in October which will be at 5,500 feet near Tuba City, Arizona on Navajo land.

If I find M-Rod adjustments problematic, I might consider adding that airscrew. I'm guessing I won't have an issue.

I haven't even had to think about opening up the Lectron and fidgeting with the factory-set 49mm of metering rod. Given that all the rest are up at 50-51mm, I'm wondering if I'll have to richen it up for our frigid 55-degree winters ?

Cheers Steve. Only so many hours you can spend chasing a solution you already had..

Now onto the suspension.. Probably deserving of its own thread, but just shuffled a few shims in the ttx and spent an hour or so riding around the back yard. Seems to be improved, but it'll take a full day in the saddle at pace to know for sure.

I must be lucky. My Lectron came to me set up for Phoenix at 2,000 feet and 100F. All I had to do was lean the PowerJet a half turn and I was ready to go.

The test will be our first race in October which will be at 5,500 feet near Tuba City, Arizona on Navajo land.

If I find M-Rod adjustments problematic, I might consider adding that airscrew. I'm guessing I won't have an issue.

I haven't even had to think about opening up the Lectron and fidgeting with the factory-set 49mm of metering rod. Given that all the rest are up at 50-51mm, I'm wondering if I'll have to richen it up for our frigid 55-degree winters ?

How can you know its the best it can be if you havent changed anything yet :D :D :D Its that sort of behaviour that keeps getting me in trouble.

Given a quarter turn is around .25mm and is a noticable change in fuelling you might find you don't need to do much and it'll simply wow you more as it cools off ;) I think I ended up at 50.25mm from memory with the 3-1 MR (I'd have to double check the rod).

Another thing to note is that its likely that we're all using different fuels, at varying ratios too. Just like always you can never really side by side one persons setting to anothers.

Yep. Arizona 91 Octane at 50:1 with Maxima.

I also have the 36mm Lectron with the MotoSportz cut. So, if I am comparing 51mm in a 38mm Lectron, who knows?

No tweaking and I've yet to do a plug chop. Not like me to avoid data points.

How can you know its the best it can be if you havent changed anything yet :D :D :D Its that sort of behaviour that keeps getting me in trouble.

I ordered my Lectron. Explained what bike, temperatures and elevation I ride at. Received it. Mounted it. Kicked the bike into life. Went riding.

Now, 10 hours of riding later, I have still not adjusted a thing on it. I have checked the plug, and it looks like it should.
Of course I don't know if the carb could have been better adjusted, as I haven't tried to change anything :D

Normally, I would try to adjust it. I'm the type of person who needs to understand how things work and usually like to modify (as in my KYB revalving thread).
OTOH, sometimes I just need something simple that just works, as I need to go riding / racing instead of wrenching. I feel the Lectron is such a thing.

I ordered my Lectron. Explained what bike, temperatures and elevation I ride at. Received it. Mounted it. Kicked the bike into life. Went riding.

Now, 10 hours of riding later, I have still not adjusted a thing on it. I have checked the plug, and it looks like it should.
Of course I don't know if the carb could have been better adjusted, as I haven't tried to change anything :D

Normally, I would try to adjust it. I'm the type of person who needs to understand how things work and usually like to modify (as in my KYB revalving thread).
OTOH, sometimes I just need something simple that just works, as I need to go riding / racing instead of wrenching. I feel the Lectron is such a thing.

I do agree. My Lectron setup took all of half a ride to test a 1/4 turn leaner, a 1/4 turn richer and find that the sweet spot actually fell between 2 adjustments. In terms of simplicity and ease of tuning, this carb offers it. Of course for the sake of experience I continued to test the adjustments back to back over a couple of rides in varying conditions/terrain, but ultimately continued to end up in the same place.

Pulled my new plug after my last ride.

I was a bit nervous that the color would not be to my likings, but not too bad.

If anything it may be a bit lean.....???

IMAG0837_1_zpsae265e51.jpg

Looks about perfect for a Lectron. Mine always looks lean too even when it is not. I think the higher atomization makes them look / burn cleaner which is also why people can get 3-6 MPG more and more power.

Looks about perfect for a Lectron. Mine always looks lean too even when it is not. I think the higher atomization makes them look / burn cleaner which is also why people can get 3-6 MPG more and more power.

Thanks Kelly for the feedback - greatly appreciated !!

So I guess my Lectron is now "Broke-in" and ready to RIP!!!!

BRAPPPPP

I know I was just throwing a little jab / joke in there.....:cool:

:D

All looks good Stu. Was that a plug chop at WOT or just a general plug inspection? Oils and fuels used always vary the look of the plug a bit too. As long as its pulling strong and clean its good!

Back