Twisted Engineering - Carbon Bars

During my phone calls and e-mails to them, they've never mentioned it.

Twisted Engineering is not going for minimal weight. They are going for flex characteristics with a weight that is close to the same as conventional bars.

T.E. would argue that their bars are stronger then conventional aluminum versions.

Twisted Engineering is not going for minimal weight. They are going for flex characteristics with a weight that is close to the same as conventional bars.

T.E. would argue that their bars are stronger then conventional aluminum versions.
I see. By the way, the very same regulation applies for MX. So these bars are unusable for international/official events according to official technical rules.
It was only matter of time until someone comes out with a product like this - especially considering how widespread carbon bars of similar size are in the bicycle world nowadays. These can be made strong, no doubt, but according to the official rulebook these bars are illegal as of today.
This situation has to be addressed somehow. It is in manufacturers interests to find a way to communicate their needs to FIM. I would imagine that once carbon bars come closer in pricelevels to the ordinary metal handlebars FIM could consider removing this particular limitation from the rulebook and replace it with approval of some sort. But potential buyers should be aware of this product's current legal status in official international events. Bikes with composite handlebars will not pass technical inspection on these events - it is simple as that.

I see. By the way, the very same regulation applies for MX. So these bars are unusable for international/official events according to official technical rules.
It was only matter of time until someone comes out with a product like this - especially considering how widespread carbon bars of similar size are in the bicycle world nowadays. These can be made strong, no doubt, but according to the official rulebook these bars are illegal as of today.
This situation has to be addressed somehow. It is in manufacturers interests to find a way to communicate their needs to FIM. I would imagine that once carbon bars come closer in pricelevels to the ordinary metal handlebars FIM could consider removing this particular limitation from the rulebook and replace it with approval of some sort. But potential buyers should be aware of this product's current legal status in official international events. Bikes with composite handlebars will not pass technical inspection on these events - it is simple as that.
What would their reasoning be for not allowing them?

I also compete (participate) in the slow class but would be gutted if I had a completion taken away because I am just trying to give my joints a break after the years of beating received from fim sanctioned bars
Do Flexx bars being a composit of metal and rubber not fall into the same category?

(For the record I do not have twisted bars yet)

No composite helmets either??? No composite subframes (maybe not such a bad thing, eh?). Only steel knee braces? Where will it end?

What would their reasoning be for not allowing them?
Cost, reliability, safety I would think. It is easy to get costs totally spiraling out of the control if there is no limitation on materials. What next - frames made of titanium? Brakes from beryllium? Limitations are necessary to keep our beloved sport as affordable as possible. As carbon details generate a lot of sharp-edged particles when breaking this may also be a matter of safety. But these are only my own assumptions, not facts. I do not know what goes on in FIM officials' brains :). So please do not kill the messenger. :P

There was a concern about carbon bodywork impaling people if it broke in a crash, so monocoque subframes and panels were outlawed, and it sounds like carbon in general.

PlusOnePerformance

All you Twisted Engineering bars owners.....
How are these bars holding up?
Curious how long you've had them and how many rides you have on them and wrecks and how they held up after a wipeout?

All you Twisted Engineering bars owners.....
How are these bars holding up?
Curious how long you've had them and how many rides you have on them and wrecks and how they held up after a wipeout?

And to add to that, how did the barkbusters fare. Did they rotate at all, or loosen up? I like the idea of the lighter TE bars. Just need a little more first hand crash info.

Been down a few times. No bends, no tweaks, no cracks. I feel they are as stable as my old twinwall cycra setup was.

ThumperTalk did a very Rare review of them -- just got the link in my e-mail today.

Recently we were contacted by the guys over at Twisted Engineering about advertising their new Composi-Flex II handlebars. Along the way, they asked if I would like to try them out for myself. Normally, we shy away from product reviews for site sponsors. For 14 years, ThumperTalk has been a trusted website run by motorcycle enthusiasts for motorcycle enthusiasts, and we never want to give anyone reason to believe you can buy us off with a paid endorsement.

That being said, this was a special case. When the guys at Twisted Engineering asked me to test their composite design flex bar, I was very interested because I currently run Fasstco Flexx Bars on all of my bikes. But, before I would agree to test the Composi-Flex handlebar, Twisted Engineering had to agree that I would publish the results...good, bad or otherwise. The guys at TE were so confident I would like their product they agreed to my terms and I agreed to put their bars through the ringer and give my honest feedback for better or worse, no holds barred. So here it is...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/42897-twisted-engineering-composi-flex-ii-handlebars/

Thanks. I'm leaning towards TE's for these reasons. I seem to always be dropping my bike so am looking for a testimony from a rider like me. I usually drop the bike on the bar ends and no big deal for the typical bark buster ends. the TE bark buster end looks less robust with the one set screw.
Btw I emailed a while ago and got no reply. I'll try again. Wood be nice to talk to a rep.

I've dropped, dumped and bashed mine against trees and rocks. No problem. Call them and buy some. Like many, you will soon wonder why you were so worried

Has anyone asked or have experience with which flex pattern most prefer or if the 3x is too flexy?

I felt most comfortable running my FlexxBars with the red (stock) or black elastomers as the softer ones (blue, yellow) felt to "flexy" for me. To be on the safe side I choose the 2x flex level (bar bend 3) with the TE CF bars and have been extremely happy. The comfort is amazing even in comparison to the FlexxBars. I don't feel any flex at all when riding and the comfort the 2x flex provides is anything I'd ever need. Faster B-level offroad and extreme enduro racing.

Michael

And you guys actually notice a difference with these over a stock aluminum bar??? I love trying new things I am just having trouble wrapping my head around a set of bars being that much of an upgrade. Can you provide a little more input on why you feel they are a worth while for the price upgrade?

Back