23 ounce flywheel weights

I'm saying it isnt as simple a discussion as "hey I got one and its great,everyone else should have one too."

There are 8 pages of input on this topic.
Is it a must have item and evety 300 rider needs it ;lock the thread,no.

I sincerely doubt some of the more detailed information which will benefit a far larger scope of riders would be available.

And yes their will be some must haves.
The 300 is a particular beast.

Not everyone is a 300 rider.
Few are willing to give it up without a fight though.

For me no,I like my 300 as is.
I ride with people who would benefit from it though.

That makes sense. And do agree with you. Not for all riders indeed.

But, it is definitely for me. The power is very balanced and a lot smoother then before. I notice NO delay in throttle response or shutdown response. Instead of worrying I am going to grab a full throttle and get that whip affect I can hit and the power is there immediately. Like said above you have to actually try it to believe it.

I for one am sold !!!!

$95 for a used flywheel weight? Im kidding, I will pm you. But not tonight im headed out to the Tool concert. Wish me luck and hope I get out without my ears bleeding.....

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

If your actually interested in one I will buy a new one and send it to you instead of my used one. I can walk to GoFasters and get one so shipping isn't really an issue.

Here is a challenge, I will ship you my fww, and you send me $95. If you decide it's not worth it/doesn't do exactly what we say it does, ship it back and I will give you the $95 back. Snow is here and I can't ride it if I wanted to.

Quite the offer. How many manufactures would offer this? In this case you have nothing to gain besides offering something up to the GasGas community. If someone doesn't take up this offer they really just are not interested and rather chat on the internet:)

Had flywheel cover off last night getting my head ready to send to RB Designs.

Took some pics of my S3 Wt installed.

As mentioned above before, the installation is very easy if you have an impact wrench. Zip off the OEM nut, pull the OEM flywheel. Install the new S3 wt. Add a dab of blue loctite to the included S3 nut. Zip it back on with impact wrench. Put on the OEM cover (I had the aftermarket GG aluminum cover and it would not fit due to the thicker S3 wt....solution would be to have it machined out inside the cover but have not taken the time to do that). I did have to add a 2nd gasket just to make clearance to the OEM cover. I know others above that did not though.

That's it!!

usugy6ap.jpg

ta6uvyga.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm sold. Read this entire thread and have decided I want one. Pretty certain another Gasser rider on here will too (eh Sean..) Looking forward to limiting my 2012 ec 300 stall out issue at low rpm's, on gnarley single tracks!

Will I need to replace any gaskets? Does the new FWW come with a replacement gasket, or no....?

Well I'm sold. Read this entire thread and have decided I want one. Pretty certain another Gasser rider on here will too (eh Sean..) Looking forward to limiting my 2012 ec 300 stall out issue at low rpm's, on gnarley single tracks!

Will I need to replace any gaskets? Does the new FWW come with a replacement gasket, or no....?

You wont need to replace, but add. I added two gaskets that I cut myself from a roll of gasket material to make clearence for the nut on the flywheel.
So a total of three gaskets for mine. Yours maybe different?

That is the new one... Or at least I thought. I bought mine right after you.

Nah I just bought one last week. They sent a new shipment in. Edges are tapered and it has apparently either balancing holes drilled or for getting the weight correct.

Sent a new one to desertgasser and kept my old one. Must still be rather large ol girl but it's incredible.

Only the center nut they send with it stuck out out by about 2/3mm could be machined down abit more. Easy fix, it wasn't anything to get in a tizzy about though.

I will write something up about it after this weekends race.

This is a very interesting thread. I love it.
My 2006 DE300 had the smaller ignition. After I had Ron Black modify my 300's head, tight singletrack rocky off-camber turns instantly became more exciting. Sometimes, my bike's rear end would complete the turn before the front. :eek:
I then added a 10 oz fww to the flywheel to regain some control. It was a perfect (for me) solution, and worked like a charm.
I never experimented with a heavier weight on that bike. (and I still cry about it's theft. )

Looking at the photos posted in this thread, I see that this flywheel weight looks much like the "weight" that came in the original '96-'98 GG 250 counterbalanced engines with the extra lighting windings (Ducatti?) bolted to the inside of the magnesium ignition cover (and that GG later used on the 300cc quad).
The "weight" on those ignitions was an "internal rotor" to "excite" the windings.
It weighed very close to 23 oz, and had machinings on the underside of the weight to match the protrusions on the outside of the flywheel. When you tightened the separate fw nut, the mating of the machinings to the protrusions locked it in place, instead of only friction doing the job, as is the case with most of the fww that we see on the market.

When my son, Josh, first removed this weight from his '97 EC250 flywheel, it had a definite effect on his A-level riding style. In the hare scramble that weekend, he was blowing through turns. In fact, he came into the pits wailing about his brakes, saying that they weren't working. I told him that he was going into the woods with both wheels locked up; and his brakes were working fine. He was simply accelerating faster on the straights than he was used to on that bike (which still had the counterbalancer installed, and so was still running a fairly heavy crankshaft assembly).
But, Josh's racing style at the time was very aggressive, and not based on the engine being extremely controllable.

I may pull one of these older '97 flywheel weights out of my parts bins, and put it on my secondary bike, a 2004 XC300, just to see what effect it has on it's power delivery.

Thank you all again, for analyzing your experiments, and sharing your experiences with the rest of us in such a factual and interesting way.

Good Riding!
Jim

23ozFWW

Where are these purchased? Has anyone used PayPal for a payment? Does anyone make a billet stator cover? I mashed my cover good,hit rock which pushed displayed into cover. Which hit hard enough to deform the stator cover.I wouldn't be surprised if the flywheel rubbed the cover.

This is a very interesting thread. I love it.
My 2006 DE300 had the smaller ignition. After I had Ron Black modify my 300's head, tight singletrack rocky off-camber turns instantly became more exciting. Sometimes, my bike's rear end would complete the turn before the front. :eek:
I then added a 10 oz fww to the flywheel to regain some control. It was a perfect (for me) solution, and worked like a charm.
I never experimented with a heavier weight on that bike. (and I still cry about it's theft. )

Looking at the photos posted in this thread, I see that this flywheel weight looks much like the "weight" that came in the original '96-'98 GG 250 counterbalanced engines with the extra lighting windings (Ducatti?) bolted to the inside of the magnesium ignition cover (and that GG later used on the 300cc quad).
The "weight" on those ignitions was an "internal rotor" to "excite" the windings.
It weighed very close to 23 oz, and had machinings on the underside of the weight to match the protrusions on the outside of the flywheel. When you tightened the separate fw nut, the mating of the machinings to the protrusions locked it in place, instead of only friction doing the job, as is the case with most of the fww that we see on the market.

When my son, Josh, first removed this weight from his '97 EC250 flywheel, it had a definite effect on his A-level riding style. In the hare scramble that weekend, he was blowing through turns. In fact, he came into the pits wailing about his brakes, saying that they weren't working. I told him that he was going into the woods with both wheels locked up; and his brakes were working fine. He was simply accelerating faster on the straights than he was used to on that bike (which still had the counterbalancer installed, and so was still running a fairly heavy crankshaft assembly).
But, Josh's racing style at the time was very aggressive, and not based on the engine being extremely controllable.

I may pull one of these older '97 flywheel weights out of my parts bins, and put it on my secondary bike, a 2004 XC300, just to see what effect it has on it's power delivery.

Thank you all again, for analyzing your experiments, and sharing your experiences with the rest of us in such a factual and interesting way.

Good Riding!
Jim

I think the combination of the shaft balancer and the Ducati flywheel on the 97's make for one heck of trail machine. When I put the 23 ouncer on my 12' 300 I was hoping for the same effect that I have on the 97'. It gave me the same feel, but with more vibes. If there was a way to cure the horrid vibes on the 300 that would be a great machine and would be a huge step in the right direction.

Where are these purchased? Has anyone used PayPal for a payment? Does anyone make a billet stator cover? I mashed my cover good,hit rock which pushed displayed into cover. Which hit hard enough to deform the stator cover.I wouldn't be surprised if the flywheel rubbed the cover.

Wow
That's a lot of questions you just shot out.
What is the PayPal part?

Billet cover has been made. I have one but no longer think they are made. Company was Ransom Machine.

https://www.ktm-parts.com/GG-131.html#.U1voKYm9LCQ

Since adding the shim to my power valve my 300 has been really smooth. The original reason I added the weight was to slow down the hit when the power valve opened. I have been riding my 250 Beta and noticed it would drop into a corner easer than my GasGas. I decided to remove the weight and see how it felt. I could definitely notice a difference. Much easier to initiate the direction change.

Back