Another jetting issue(imagine that)

45 over the 35 pilot for sure. You will likely be overall rich with this setup but safe for starters, a lot safer than what you had.

45 over the 35 pilot for sure. You will likely be overall rich with this setup but safe for starters, a lot safer than what you had.
the service manuel says a 38. Do these things actually come with the jetting, that it lists? I got the bike all buttoned up. It's waiting for fresh fuel. I likely won't fire it off 'till Sat. morning due to noise issues(my neighbors like me, and I'm keeping it that way). I can't wait to play with the settings. I'm a tinkerer by nature, so this is right up my alley. Luckily I'm smart enough to quit when I'm ahead:D

The service manual has had the same jetting I think for many years, for both the 250s and 300s. For the AS1 carbs, AS2, 38mm and 36mm. I'd say they arrive with whats in the manual, but it usually means the bike runs less than great.

I decided the neighbors will survive, today! Fresh fuel in...kick, kick, kick, kick, and kick some more...damn! Fuel on, choke knob pulled up...I did pour in fuel. Ahhhhh! plug wire off, and plug only hand tight! Problem solved. A single kick, and she idles on her own. The bike would not idle of it's own accord, Sunday. She's definitely feels a tad rich sitting there, twisting the throttle. I won't know anything until I get it out and ride it. Other than a plug check, is there anything else I should be aware of, other than increased or decreased performance?

Don't judge it until its up to temp and done a few runs to clear its lungs out. If its been idling rich it might be loading up a bit and take some throttle to clear out. When making changes only make one change at a time and then evaluate how its affected the running. If it improves you have taken a step in the right direction. If not go the other way and evaluate.

Its not a bad idea to get some tape and a pen and index the throttle so you can easily evaluate the point where the throttle is when things happen, be it running rich or lean.

Don't judge it until its up to temp and done a few runs to clear its lungs out. If its been idling rich it might be loading up a bit and take some throttle to clear out. When making changes only make one change at a time and then evaluate how its affected the running. If it improves you have taken a step in the right direction. If not go the other way and evaluate.

Its not a bad idea to get some tape and a pen and index the throttle so you can easily evaluate the point where the throttle is when things happen, be it running rich or lean.
Makes sense. I like the the pen & tape indexing idea. I can hardly wait to go ride it. Oh yea, as I twisted it up a bit, there was absolutely no bog after the cold start. The first startup at the staging area was a big red flag...She bogged out horribly. A little test putt, then checked the plug(grey). As you said, Jakobi, up to temp & run her out a bit. Thanks all. Saturday morning will be the next chapter of this story.

Your a lot closer now and unlikely to seize the bike like your previous jetting might have. Forget about what the manual says, 35 pilot is a joke and always was. The notched slide does make for a nice idle. All two strokes load up to a point while warming up, and must be hot and cleared out before evaluation.

The manual might say 35, and you've got a 38, but I found 40 or 42 decent for my 250s w AS1s ... 45 made the bike a slobbering mess.

Here's another can you may want to open, but make sure none of the worms get out - if you're trying to nail down jetting its important to have a consistent fuel source. That may mean $7.50/gal Turbo Blue, but I've found that, especially at times of seasonal change, the gas coming out of the pump can screw up my jetting attempts and make a previously finely-tuned machine much less so.

The manual might say 35, and you've got a 38, but I found 40 or 42 decent for my 250s w AS1s ... 45 made the bike a slobbering mess.

Here's another can you may want to open, but make sure none of the worms get out - if you're trying to nail down jetting its important to have a consistent fuel source. That may mean $7.50/gal Turbo Blue, but I've found that, especially at times of seasonal change, the gas coming out of the pump can screw up my jetting attempts and make a previously finely-tuned machine much less so.
I have 3 carbs...who ever said one size fits all:D Maybe one size fits "mostly"...

Makes sense. I like the the pen & tape indexing idea..

i cut 3 notches on the left side of my grip (on every bike i own...) , and i make a reference mark on the throttle itself. - 1 at closed, 1 at 1/2, and 1 at wot. that way i can look down and see where i'm at at any time. when i'm riding - you'd be surprised where you're actually at on the throttle, and you can actually see/feel exactly where the jetting transitions are. you might also be surprised how far you have to twist the throttle to get to 3/4 throttle......... i've noticed that 75% of the time in the woods i'm at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle.

On my bike, #42 pilot with non-notched slide is OK, but had lean hanging idle symptoms and flat off idle power with the notched slide, all else being equal. Try the #45 but you may need a #48 especially in the cooler weather. Last three races, three holeshots, has to be close! Zero spooge with a straight Cannon silencer. No more Stealth oil tanker.

i've noticed that 75% of the time in the woods i'm at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle.
I agree. Generally, I know exactly where I'll grab a handful...I hold the throttle in place with my pinky finger, while I reach over the grip, for another handful. This takes a fraction of a second. At WOT, I like my hands in the same position on the grip where they'd be at 1/2 throttle. That way, I help myself minimizing minor control issues. Honestly, I rarely find a need(or excuse) to hammer it out to WOT(unless it's straight & flat).

Most people won't be wide open for more than a few seconds per hour. Practical jetting will be pilot and needle settings, along with airscrew. The RB designs mod makes it easy.

Thats also why a G2 throttle is such a good mod, more resolution over the range you use the most.

Going to be at Tahuya at daylight. Anyone camping at Elfendahl Pass better take their Advil early...Hangovers & screaming 2-strokes don't gel very well. Tahuya already requires appropriate swimwear on some trails:D

Today's riding conditions, couldn't have been better. Wind, driving rain, and every low spot full of water. I hated the 45 pilot, so I swapped back in the 35, and readjusted the air/fuel mix. A little better. She ran "pretty good" all day. A tad fat in the middle, otherwise it was a trouble free day. She never ran hot, no bogging, and no other weirdness. Before I move on to needle, I want to try a 38 and/or 40 pilot. Once the bottom's dialed, I'll move up the chain until I've settled on a main. I wish my jets were in stock, I would've like to have sorted the bottom, today. Now that she's running "pretty good" I like the bike even more. She's an absolute blast to ride. I wanted to play with needle setting...I love to tinker. I left it alone. I'm glad all the great help is available on this forum(frustration level kept in check at zero). Thanks for all the input, everyone!

Good feedback. The E diameter needle is pretty rich so not surprising you found the 45 too rich. As stated best to start fat and experience it before leaning off. Another consideration with the needle is that once you start changing the needle diameter - 1/8th throttle fuelling - it will have an effect of your idle/pilot too. Ie going to a leaner diameter, usually requires a richer pilot to maintain the same off idle response.

With the really crappy weather, the audio from my GoPro sucks. The video is about the same(lens always covered in mud & water). Too bad, I took a good header over the bars once:D I'm actually closer than I thought I would be. I don't think a lot of recreational dirtbikers would even notice that it's off. So now, I'm ready to dial it in to my preference. I know there's no such thing as purfect, do to variables like air, fuel, weather, etc. I'm going try not to overthink it, just get it right.

Last edited:
Today, I loaded up & drove the 108 mi to Walker Valley. By 8am it was sunny, about 38F. 40 pilot, N0ZE needle #2 from top, 180 main, 1.75 turns out with air/fuel screw. Very nearly perfect for what I like. In the end I think a 178 main will get it closer. Throttle response very nice from idle thru WOT. She started 2nd kick. Once she warmed a bit...I let out the clutch, and never looked back. The bike ran well enough for me, that I didn't feel the least bit inclined to touch the carb. I didn't run a bunch of mileage. I just hit the hightlights, of different types of trails. Given the widely varied terrain I rode...From severe technical pucker factor, to easy flat & fast, I am confident this bike is capable of anything my riding areas have to offer, as is. While it's not effected by jetting...This is the only bike I've owned that I have no intension of having the suspension reworked, as it is working superbly for me. Now I have to clean my gear...It's a close to home Tahuya ride, tomorrow.

Back