Favorite Pre-Mix Oil

I have ran motul 800, 710, and dominator. I think the 710 burns cleaner. The 800 always gave a little spooge

I know a guy that has used wal mart "ashless" oil in the blue container for years ( since new in 2004) in a KTM 250 XC. He tore the bike down recently after 100 trail hours and the cylinder was perfect...makes you think about how cleaver these oils are marketed. I buy the expensive oil too, I can't say much

I have ran motul 800, 710, and dominator. I think the 710 burns cleaner. The 800 always gave a little spooge

I know a guy that has used wal mart "ashless" oil in the blue container for years ( since new in 2004) in a KTM 250 XC. He tore the bike down recently after 100 trail hours and the cylinder was perfect...makes you think about how cleaver these oils are marketed. I buy the expensive oil too, I can't say much

I will agree with you on the 710....much less drip than the 800!

Opti 2 at 112:1 since 1989. Lots of power, little wear, and very little carbon build up. Prior to that, Yamalube R at 40:1 for the previous 17 years.

"112:1 how the heck did you come up w that ratio? "

You made me LOL, I thought the exact same thing when I read it!

Amsoil Dominator @28:1 for the last 3,500 miles or so.....jetted corectly, no spooge out back, 5,680 miles total on bike. No issues. Before the Dominator the first 2K miles were RedLine @40:1. Red Line @28:1, was where I wanted to be but was just too expensive. If I were "well off" I'd be using RedLine @28:1. Dominator is certainly sufficient at that ratio and much cheaper. Hell, it may be the same damn oil for all we know!

I agree with everything GMP has written in this thread. More oil, properly jetted is always better, IMO.
Ed

Yeah but at what point is the extra oil you're adding just using oil for the sake of using oil? More oil has never broken anything, but its not free either. Are you better running less oil and spending the money you save on periodic maintenance and replacing parts? who knows.. As long as I see a good coating on the parts when I pull it down I'm happy.

Maxima Super M @ 40:1 is what I previously ran, and without issue. I appreciated the lack of smoke.

Motul 800 @ 50:1 is what I run now due to its availability locally. I don't care for the spooge and smoke, but I also have had no issues.

I let my bike warm up thoroughly before riding, and I prefer the technical stuff......so high rpms are rarely seen.

Jakobi, you wrote "As long as I see a good coating on the parts when I pull it down I'm happy. "

That's the point, I never tear my engines down! The EC 300 now has >5600 miles and no indication it needs anything! No spooge, never fouled a plug but then again I only have about 2,000 miles on the plug in her. She starts 2nd kick every time.

Bowhunter007...RedLine@ 32:1 = ;) My guess is that engine will last until you are just bored and want something to do :).

Just my opinions, ok!
Ed

Thats where we differ. I have similar kms/miles on mine, yet mine has had a bottom end, and a couple top ends. I had no signs or indication that it needed anything at any point either, however upon inspection the ring end gaps were always still within spec, although getting towards the upper tolerance. Replacing pistons and rings before they rattle around saves wear on the cylinder plating too. Not to mention the sealed main bearings in the later models which when I checked was quite dry. Not damaged or gritty, but definitely dry and no matter how much oil you pumped in it wasn't going to splash lube past the shield/seal.

There is no right or wrong way, just different ways. You like your engine well lubed, where I'm just as happy to use a little less oil and spend a bit more time keeping it fresh. The thing is, until you pull yours down and actually spec it up, you're just saying that its still running strong, but is it really still running as strong as it was/could be? Likely not.

I'm the same way I'll run amsoil 45:1 and rebuild the top end every so often. Mine was running strong as well but when I did the 250 swap there was a slight bit of blow by that u wouldn't have known about had I not opened er up. Besides I like that shit, it's part of my riding and I like tinkering with my bike but I can understand why some don't. Ive heard a lot of "I'd rather ride my bike than work on it" but I do a ton of riding and when I'm not I like fiddling with the bike! That's why I have an estart, rekluse manual clutch and a crap load of other parts coming. All fun times in the garage to me;)

maxima k2, after i got shown pictures of the insides of a 100hr yz250 owned by the guy at the bottom of my wifes folks drive, the powervalve wiped clean with a rag. I took my pipe off after 25 hrs the other day, no carbon buildup at all. the owner of the shop i bought the bike off crapped on about it too babbling like a priest. The spare parts guys at yamahahaha in gosford walked straight passed the yamalube at 10 bucks more a bottle and said "use this only" with a serious look on his face. All the Kart racers out at camden use it (including a mate from work). before all this i used amsoil interceptor which is crap smokey and carbon everywhere, the dominator sounds like good stuff though, as does 710 and rock oil. I reckon if its got triple ester its prolly good.

Redline 32:1
Everyone seems to have pretty specific reasons for what they run...availability, whether their bike likes it, spooge, etc. My only reason for using Redline(aside from my bikes like it)...I can walk into the store(across the street from my work) and buy it by the gallon, period. I hate buying mixing oil by the quart. I don't like having numerous containers lying about. I burn through it too fast.

The Lucas semi synthetic works great and is cheap. I normally run it at about 40/1 but have leaned that out to 80/1 on the trail when low on fuel.

Back