I'm buying a Beta 300RR

I recall talk of some heavy massaging of the forks that year. I can't specifically say whT it was. I will ask and get back with y'all.

Cody's bike is a 300 RR Race Edition with the 48mm Marzocchis known and generally loved here, but red-legged and DLC coated for some added style.

Justin Sode is running WP stuff because his tuner is familiar with it, and apparently that works well ... he placed 3rd XC2 / 10th OA in the GNCC this past weekend.

I e-mailed Max who responds,

Last year we ran Fox shocks and Ohlins inserts in our 48mm Sachs forks.

This year we are running Fox shocks, and closed cartridge 48mm Marzocci forks. On the race models of the Betas: Marzocci closed cartridge forks and a Sachs shock come stock.

My neighbor who bought the 300rr (he is a 300 fan) said he rode a 250 and thought the motor was strong -- so strong that he temporarily considered it over the 300.

I don't feel the love for 300s either. A strong running and reasonably smooth 250 is perfect. To a man, this comment about the Beta 250 is consistant, so it must be good. Right now I think my GG motor is perfect, so any more is just gravy.

I wanted a 250 also, but Beta didn't offer it in the racing model and I wanted the 48 zokes so I took a chance on the 300 and I'm glad I did.
This 300 feels very different from the KTM or GasGas 300. It is hard to explain but it seems to spin up faster than other 300s but not loose traction. If you could ride blind folded and rode all 300s one after another you would guess that the Beta was a very strong 250. Like I said hard to explain but I was shocked how much it felt like a small bore bike with real good smooth power.

The Beta is my prefered direction. I think I can do it, just not till I sell off everything. I too want the 48 Zokes, I can't go back to open chamber forks after having them for a year. Maybe the '14 250s will have them? My problem with 300s is the off idle pull is too much, and makes the bike feel heavier and harder to manage over the course of a day/race. Then you spend time figuring out how to ride it a gear high off the pipe, so why bother? Does the Beta yank like a GG or KTM when cracked open?

Does the Beta yank like a GG or KTM when cracked open?

No it doesn't. I just did my first enduro with it on Sunday and no more (maybe even less) tired than riding my Husky 165. All tight single track. Got a second place with it and only rode it once before the race.

Glenn,

Agree with arminhammer on the power description. It is a rather hard one to describe, perhaps a two stage powerband would capture it well. With the PV adj. in the stock position, it is a really smooth pull off the bottom, but will provide a surge in the upper mid and pull strong on the top end. Revs out more like a 250, pretty high and there is power there, not just noise.

Tried to think of a way that you could keep your 48's off your GG and put them on a future Beta, then I realized how many problems of my own I have to solve and I shut of the neurotransmitters to save my limited cognitive processes...

Well they do proclaim its a different type of PV, where the main flap opens at a different rate/ratio than the sub ports, so maybe there is something to it.

I'd rather play it safe and just go for a 250. Probably be awhile anyway so who knows maybe '14s will have the Zokes. Its just really hard for me to go backwards in fork tech on such a premium bike, and I have all the Zoke tools, procedures, and specs worked out to get them very close if not right on.

Tried to think of a way that you could keep your 48's off your GG and put them on a future Beta, then I realized how many problems of my own I have to solve and I shut of the neurotransmitters to save my limited cognitive processes...

The Marzocchi 48s are offered on the Racing Edition 300s, and by chance ;) they use the same triple clamps as the 48mm Sachs on the standard bikes.

Steve,

Right. I was trying to think out how GMP could sell his GG without the 48's and swap the Sachs from the Beta. Or purchase some used Sachs to bolt on the GG and... oh, never mind.

Good luck with all that Glenn.

The fork is the best part of the bike! Not worth much to anyone in the know without it.

Will KYBs fit in the Beta clamps?

I could always keep an eye out for a set and be ready.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The fork is the best part of the bike! Not worth much to anyone in the know without it.

Will KYBs fit in the Beta clamps?

I could always keep an eye out for a set and be ready.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The KYBs fit the bottom clamp but not the top. You could bore the top clamp but that would only leave 2.4mm wall thickness - too skinny for me.

I've got a big chunk of aluminum that's going to become an upper triple ...

The KYBs fit the bottom clamp but not the top. You could bore the top clamp but that would only leave 2.4mm wall thickness - too skinny for me.

I've got a big chunk of aluminum that's going to become an upper triple ...

I guess that answers that. I'm riding tomorrow, what to go to SCF Scott?

Back