I'm buying a Beta 300RR

It could be cheaper, but it's not. People are paying near full boat for these Betas.

While some aspects of the Beta are good, such as fit & finish, I get the impression that it doesn't turn quite as quick as the GG and certainly isn't as stable at speed. The suspension will only match the GG if the buyer opts for the extra-cost optional suspension which is standard equipment on US Gassers.

Three weeks and I still haven't found the time to go down the street to ride that Beta 300.

The 300RR Race Edition (also available as a 450F and 498F I believe) gets red-legged Marzocchi 48 CCs and lists for the same price as the GG 300e.

The Red legged forks are supposed to have better coatings, from what Evan said awhile ago. The ones we know are the GG OEM spec versions.

Air Filter pretty tight in that airbox with the battery and all the wiring stuffed in there.....glad I don't have to deal with that.

Air filter access is via the sidepanel. No tools required. I'll check my battery cable for wear and make sure it's protected against vibration. I think I would appreciate a taller seat, my knees were complaining after an hour of sand whoops. This bike is perfect for shorter inseams.

Beta has the refinement down to a T on all of there bikes. From jetting, squash, suspension, handling, to build quality. Only sold a 300 RR never rode one but the owner has gotten many comments about the jetting being near perfect and carb and jetting are stock. Beta puts time in to develop the full product, the 4strokes have intake velocity stacks to tune intake tract length as just one example as to why they jet so well ( on the 4stroke side anway). I have never felt a need on my 2011 to have the close cartrige forks or aftermarket shock, since the stock base settings are great and revalving made them dynamite. Beta leaves very litstle that didn't get some thought.

Don't get me wrong Gas Gas bike probably turn a bit quicker, I wouldn't call it better! I still rate my 2010 300 Gasser very high. I think it just left a lot on the table, jetting, suspension, etc.

If you have one I noticed some guys talking about stability issues and softening the rear. Watch going to soft in rear, on the 4 stroke side anyway, the stock spring rate is a big contributor to head shake. Stepping up to a stiffer rear spring helps a ton. The shock will blow through its travel/chopper a bit and cause a loss of stability. Going to a stiffer rear spring solves this problem if you are using the stock springs. Generally the Beta spring calculator is good but I always error on the rear a step ahead of the scale or recommended front. Valving is good and will handle increase spring stiffness well, just soft spring rate.

Cheers,

Rick

Beta has the refinement down to a T on all of there bikes. From jetting, squash, suspension, handling, to build quality. Only sold a 300 RR never rode one but the owner has gotten many comments about the jetting being near perfect and carb and jetting are stock. Beta puts time in to develop the full product, the 4strokes have intake velocity stacks to tune intake tract length as just one example as to why they jet so well ( on the 4stroke side anway). I have never felt a need on my 2011 to have the close cartrige forks or aftermarket shock, since the stock base settings are great and revalving made them dynamite. Beta leaves very litstle that didn't get some thought.

Don't get me wrong Gas Gas bike probably turn a bit quicker, I wouldn't call it better! I still rate my 2010 300 Gasser very high. I think it just left a lot on the table, jetting, suspension, etc.

If you have one I noticed some guys talking about stability issues and softening the rear. Watch going to soft in rear, on the 4 stroke side anyway, the stock spring rate is a big contributor to head shake. Stepping up to a stiffer rear spring helps a ton. The shock will blow through its travel/chopper a bit and cause a loss of stability. Going to a stiffer rear spring solves this problem if you are using the stock springs. Generally the Beta spring calculator is good but I always error on the rear a step ahead of the scale or recommended front. Valving is good and will handle increase spring stiffness well, just soft spring rate.

Cheers,

Rick

Im 165lbs, Do you think the standard springs maybe ok for me,
Hoping i can get the larger tank sent here to the UK !!!

Our local fast 40A rider quoted above is about 160. He generally likes the spring rate except for when he is cornering hard coming out of a sand wash. He charges hard in that situation and says the fork compresses too much for his liking under all that cornering force. He wants the bike to stay higher in the stroke. He is considering up-springing some.

I've just returned from a very short ride on the 300rr. Several hundred yards of two-track and some pavement.

Most importantly, he has his bike jetted perfectly (stock). The motor started in a milisecond at the push of the button from cold. Kick-starting it was actually slower. He removed his FMF Q-Steath and replaced it with a shorter Turbine Core 2. He liked the power delivery better.

The motor pulled smoothly without hesitation or burble. Quite a feeling of acceleration rush without much of a hit. A bit, but not much. Engine vibration was negligible. Transmission was positive (he thought it was notchy). I like a bit of notchy.

As I was riding it, I felt it was more KTM than Gas Gas, ergo-wise. Turning? I didn't have much opportunity to test it. The motor delivery was one that said to me, "I need several more ounces of fly wheel weight." On the other hand, the owner wants this very type of motor behavior. He's fast, I'm not.

He then started up his ready-for-sale 2011 KTM300. He rode it to get it warm and handed it over to me. He had returned it to his stock jetting (he removed his fave needle and #8 slide and sold them to a buddy). This jetting didn't let the motor perform well. Hesitation, not quite as powerful as it might have been. He thinks the motors from a top-end standpoint are a wash when the KTM had his non-stock parts. Maybe. But not tonight.

Vibration: I felt the KTM in the pegs, the shrouds, the grips and the seat. Minor-ish, but there.

Edit: He has added his Scotts damper to the Beta. I didn't notice any head shake issues when I turned it down. He also dropped the forms down in the clamps to flush.

Last edited:
Don't forget U have some motor delivery adjustment with the adjustable power valve. Might be all U need. But U can always add the flywheel weight if more is needed.

i think there would be a ton of interest in calgary here but no one is even carrying beta and parts would be my biggest concern. i would be one of them, im looking at a new bike at the end of the summer and i like what ive heard in these discussions

i think there would be a ton of interest in calgary here but no one is even carrying beta and parts would be my biggest concern. i would be one of them, im looking at a new bike at the end of the summer and i like what ive heard in these discussions

Aperently Knarly parts is a dealer.

Im 165lbs, Do you think the standard springs maybe ok for me,
Hoping i can get the larger tank sent here to the UK !!!

I'am between 155-165 pounds depending on the day and I spring up in the rear. I even sprung up on the rear of my brothers bike 2011 450RR and he is 140-145 punds. The 5.2 seams to weak for most racers of any wieght I think. The 5.4 is the low mark I recomend to most guys unless they do not ride hard at all and do not race, basically just slow trail riding. The factory editing bikes come with the 5.4kg spring as the standard.... The forks can blow through for some guys on the edge of the weight scale, my bike has the zoke 50's so the settings and feel are a bit different than the newer 2012-up Sachs bikes. I also don't have a handle on the 2-stroke weight distribution and what they like. The one I sold was sprung for a 210+ pound fast A-Vet guy, he went off of a combination of my recomendations and American Beta's and went two steps up front and back. He loves it.

The bigger tanks should be ready soon, a month or so, I have put in pre-orders already since they will be backed up with production at least for a bit. So keeps that in mind if you want one soon, U may want to order it now.

Cheers,

Rick

Aperently Knarly parts is a dealer.

Yes they have a few things like chain guides sprockets and rekluse but not core oem parts for engine and such like engine internals and what have you. I wonder If I needed parts if American beta would ship to me ASAP??

Yes they have a few things like chain guides sprockets and rekluse but not core oem parts for engine and such like engine internals and what have you. I wonder If I needed parts if American beta would ship to me ASAP??

I think if you designate a US dealer AmBeta may drop-ship to you and credit the dealer, but the Canadian distributor is raising noise about cross-border commerce ;)

Back