I'm buying a Beta 300RR

Hi!

I thought to write a short update after 35 hours on the RR250 2T. Bike is really good overall. Build quality is TOP, really comparable to a YZ250 2008. Stock suspension is Good, at least on the same level as stock open chamber WP, or the so-called 4 chamber WP. The Sacks fork also has got Top quality parts internally. I changed the oil after the first 13 hours and it was really clean. Brakes are very good. Better than the Brembo on the 2013 EXC250 Six Days 2T. I really don't understand why the American magazines love so much the stock Brembos....

Recently I installed the stock GasGas CDI switch on the handlebar (Beta has the same Kokusan electrics as KTM and GasGas...). Just find the free connector in the air box with a red/yellow and a grey/black cable and connect the two ends of the switch there. It really calms down the powerband. More torque on low revs, the revving overall is a bit slower and the hit is more linear. At least this setting makes me drive more relaxed and efficiently in technical and slippery conditions. The settings on the power valve do change the character. I actually prefer the harder setting for more torque at low revs. I have not tried yet different valve settings with the "torque" CDI setting. I think generally the main complain with this bike is the too aggressive, for some or many, character of the motor. BUT, the CDI switch is the cheapest and most effective mod to address this, until now.

Overall I am still Happy I bought this bike.

Hi!

I just wanted to correct the text above on the CDI switch. Do not use the free connector I mentioned about in the airbox (it is meant to be connected with the flasher module). Just connect one end of the CDI switch to the black/grey wire of this connector which is then connected to the relay in front of the battery. Connect the other end of the switch to the free yellow/red wire from the CDI. It is with the other wires under the tank. Before doing this, I had installed the racing harness which does not include the connector in the airbox. So, I followed the way I described above.

Just check the manual also on the connections. It really makes a good difference in practice.

Leon

What are Beta parts prices like? I mean specific high $$ stuff like a subframe, plastic, radiators, rotors, pipe, etc. Stuff that you shouldn't break but do anyway. Think the bike is tough like the GG, with the exception of the glass subframe on the '12/'13?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thats very OK! Way cheaper than current GG plastic parts, if thats for sets. Beta subframe is also composite, or aluminum? From the drawings it looks like a main top part, with modular spars. Narrow, so I would think aluminum. 90 Euros is cheapest subframe I've ever heard of!:)

Just an FYI for anyone interested in seeing a BETA in person. IronPony in Columbus Ohio has Beta models sitting on the showroom floor. They have a 300 and 250 smoker and a few thumpers. VERY nice looking bikes. Competitive prices too, totally inline with Gasser and Ktm.

I dont work there or endorse them, I was just shopping yesterday and was suprised to see the Betas on the floor.

DSC01175_zpsf2ef08a6.jpg

What's your opinion on the Sachs Twin Flux forks ?

Two top 40 A-racers in Arizona have Stillwell performance doing suspension work on the Sachs components over the last several weeks and the A guys are yet to be satisfied. My neighbor had issues with getting beat up in rocks. I can't recall what he was trying to tune out. They both dropped a few places in the last races.

Edit: this last round of revalved did the trick. Ever'body is reasonable content.

Last edited:
Subframe is plastic but no issues. I had several rides in whoops and -15 C. No problem. Yesterday I took part in a tough 2 hour scramble with some jumps and whoops. 20 extra kilos of mud on the bike. Bottomed in several occasions. No problem.

All except the spars is molded in one piece, and the fender support is much smaller, very nice. I like what I've heard and seen, but it would be tough to go back to a Sachs fork after riding with the dialed in 48mm Zokes.

All except the spars is molded in one piece, and the fender support is much smaller, very nice. I like what I've heard and seen, but it would be tough to go back to a Sachs fork after riding with the dialed in 48mm Zokes.

Just by the race then you get the zokes:)

Looks like Cody Webb is using a Fox shock on his Beta.

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/728

Cody Webb rides a little harder than most :D:D:D

We've had good success with modifying the Sachs. They don't seem as loose as the 2010 Gasser Sachs, and with some finesse are really quite good.

Stock the front end chucks and deflects on successive bumps, but with springs and a base/mid/rebound massage the front end is very confidence inspiring. We haven't seen any super rocky courses yet but in the 2 enduros so far the front end sticks like glue but is very steerable.

If that doesn't float your boat there's always the red-anodized DLC coated Marzocchi 48s on the 300 RR Race Edition ... and we can make those work too ;)

Two top 40 A-racers in Arizona have Stillwell performance doing suspension work on the Sachs components over the last several weeks and the A guys are yet to be satisfied. My neighbor had issues with getting beat up in rocks. I can't recall what he was trying to tune out. They both dropped a few places in the last races.

Edit: this last round of revalved did the trick. Ever'body is reasonable content.

The problem with the forks is in the first sentence you wrote. Not a big fan, over priced and not real helpful.

I was looking at some video from king of the motos In February, does Cody Webb use a fox rear shock on his 300rr??

Cody's team mate, Max, did have Fox shox on last year's Beta. I don't know if they are still doing that this year.

Back