The Lectron - Review (vs SmartCarb)

I have the Lectrons on 4 different bikes , they say they the power jet only effects the top end , I have found it to effect the midrange as well

Jake will you hurry up and review the SC as well. I need to know which one to buy. I almost set fire to my bike on Sunday I got that annoyed with its jetting. Running fine/crisp off the bottom in the morning then it dropped about 6 degrees C and it became flat and gutless meaning I had to rev it and slip the clutch to get up hills. I don't know which overheated more, me, the clutch or the bike.

Punched out another loop on the Lectron today. Bike continues to run well, although a bit on the lean side and falls a bit flat in the mid. 1/4 turn still makes it too rich off the bottom for me. So nothings changed in regards to that. I haven't tried any of the other needles. I think an eighth of a turn would be right were I need to be. I keep saying the same thing over and over so I think thats my verdict :D

Might go check the mail and see if the SC has arrived.

The conditions today were lots of wet rocks, roots and red clay! Earlier in the day some sandy sections with exposed roots. I don't know if it was me or the bike but together we couldn't keep on the power for crap. Kept losing the front end in the corners which was only made worse by the occassional deflection off a 45 degree root. Inspiration level was nill.

My trailtech spazzed out today and reset during the ride. So far I haven't noticed any major improvements in economy over my previous setup. I'd get 100kms give or take from the tank.

Must be something goofy either with fuel or where you are located. I find mine has been rediculously simple to tune in just right to where I consider perfect. That's something a lot of people have to remember when someone else is doing a review, it's simply what they feel is "perfect" may not be what another finds to be. If there is one thing I've noticed on all of our riding groups bikes is the definition of perfect jetting is quite subjective amongst even the best riders. Some might read jakes findings as not quite there mean the lectron is not what it's cracked up to be but I can tell you the simplicity over a stock carb and the way my bike runs compared to my bang on jetting(to me) on my Kehin is superior in both smoothness and the overall way the bike is now running! Just my 2 cents

I think it is the fuel/air down there. My 250 runs amazing with the Lectron and took about 20 minutes to get it that way

Jake,
Talk to Kevin I bet he would grind you a rod to try to address this

Dave at TSP has been in regular contact with Kevin and I believe Lectron (Kev) are in the process of doing just this to address our different conditions or requirements down under.

Must be something goofy either with fuel or where you are located. I find mine has been rediculously simple to tune in just right to where I consider perfect. That's something a lot of people have to remember when someone else is doing a review, it's simply what they feel is "perfect" may not be what another finds to be. If there is one thing I've noticed on all of our riding groups bikes is the definition of perfect jetting is quite subjective amongst even the best riders. Some might read jakes findings as not quite there mean the lectron is not what it's cracked up to be but I can tell you the simplicity over a stock carb and the way my bike runs compared to my bang on jetting(to me) on my Kehin is superior in both smoothness and the overall way the bike is now running! Just my 2 cents

Its Australia Trev ;)

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. When I complain about it being slightly rich off the bottom, or a tad lean in the midrange, I'm being very very very very picky. 90% of riders will find their own ideal setting within a couple of adjustments and then its done and does perform very well.

Comparing the time invested in getting the Lectron to where it is, and the time invested in getting the Keihin to where it was is comparing apples to oranges. There were months where I'd come home after a ride with something I wanted to address on the Keihin. On the Lectron the only thing I want to adjust is the rod 1/8th of a turn. Yep.. I'm picky!

I think it is the fuel/air down there. My 250 runs amazing with the Lectron and took about 20 minutes to get it that way

Yes and no. There are differences in the fuel/air which are well known to most tuners. The 250 runs like a champ, its just me who would like to be able to dial it down a little more.

I have a couple minutes of video from yesterdays ride with the Lectron. I'll appologise in advance for the poor visibility. Still haven't worked out how to cope with the lens cover fogging up in the rainforest.

Heres the vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kqLcBXhTqs

Quality was poor before youtube did its thing. Its really bad after. Never the less, you should still be able to get an idea of how the bikes responding. I personally think its just about perfect with exception to just before it comes onto the pipe. It could use a touch more fuel here. I ended up dialling up the power jet another 1/4 turn richer too. Didn't check the rpm to see what effect it had on over rev but it was pulling strong and clean.

That sounds bloody good. Nice and clean everywhere.

Maybe I should just get one. I am getting sick and tired of jetting this bike of mine. I still can't find a happy medium of good power with decent fuel
economy. I haven't had economy better then 12l per 100k's since putting the oval bore on and it's always been a compromise of it being too lean or too rich somewhere.

At least the lectron is available and its pretty darn good from the sounds of it. All I want is decent clean power and 90-100k's from the stock tank. Is that so hard?

Cheers. I think I picked up a slighty hanging idle on occassion if cruising just before it comes onto song. Ideally I would love love love to go another 1/8th richer and just fill in the void without introducing too much more fuel in the bottom end. She lugs down super well, and also responds to the clutch just as well. Very smooth and tractible through the whole rev range, but especially off the bottom. Gets up and boogeys when you open her up too.

I'm going to see if I can have a chat with Dave at TSP today and see which other needles he has, and if I can give something else a go.

Gathering info on GG motorcycle carburetor has brought me to a few conclusions. Obviously these bikes are very finicky about setup and carburation. the endless searches and looking at ATP and Lectron and endless jetting threads made me look into it more.

1. Make sure your head squish is correct and if not get it cut. There should be info here on that. Talking with many people who tune GG motorcycles a lot this is critical and 60% of the reason people chase jetting. Do this first.

Below this is all Lectron info...

2. I (Kelly from Motosportz) have designed a custom metering rod for the Lectron carburetors. I did this specifically for the smaller displacement 125-165 huskys as these bikes like real lean bottom, normal mid and fat top. This keeps you from having to run to much powerjet (PJ) to get the top end rich enough. This puts more metering of fuel back on the rod and less relying on the PJ. We small bore guys were finding we needed 2-3 turns out (open) on the PJ instead of the recommended 1 turn out and this was overrunning the mid and into the bottom some. If you have an issue where you get the bottom and mid perfect via rod adjustment but lack top and add PJ to the point where it starts to affect the mid (2 plus turns out) then this rod might work wonders for you. It works fantastic on the 125-200 bikes.

3. Short PJ tube. The stock shipped PJ tube reaches to the middle of the bore. IMHO this is too long and allows it to function too much in the mid. Lectron offers a shorter tube and it is half as long and looks like it is too short. Several of us have tried it and really like it. It basically moves the PJ up the rev range and cleans up the mid. The combo of my custom rod and short PJ tube yield PERFECT performance on our test bikes. Starts amazingly well, smooth idle, nice crisp bottom, nice mid and ripping top. This allows us to run the recommended 1 turn out range on the PJ and it does not mess with the mid. Set the low and mid with the rod and Dial the PJ where you need it.

I had my bike running very nice but can never leave stuff alone including suspension clickers, springs, dampers, carbs etc. In an effort to make a great thing (Lectron) better I came up with my custom rod and short PJ tube. I slapped it on and did a nice fast 60 mile test run chasing A and AA guys around training for the Idaho City ISDE coming up this weekend. My carb worked so freaking good I never even looked in its direction, was absolutely perfect for me.

4. New Lectron rads and my custom rods has a much less aggressive low speed ramp now. Some of you seems to need much more fine tuning than the current rod provides with the 1/4 turn settings. This has not been the case with the Huskys but hear it a lot from GG guys. I see where some people feel a 1/4 turn goes from lean to rich. My new rod and the one Lectron made because of this complaint has much less effect to the 1/4 turn meaning you can fine tune it much closer.

Not trying to sell you crap here just letting you know my findings and what I have learned speaking to GG tuners. Hope this helps.

Thanks
Kelly
Motosportz

Cheers. I think I picked up a slighty hanging idle on occassion if cruising just before it comes onto song. Ideally I would love love love to go another 1/8th richer and just fill in the void without introducing too much more fuel in the bottom end. She lugs down super well, and also responds to the clutch just as well. Very smooth and tractible through the whole rev range, but especially off the bottom. Gets up and boogeys when you open her up too.

I'm going to see if I can have a chat with Dave at TSP today and see which other needles he has, and if I can give something else a go.

See my post above, Lectron has a less aggressive low ramp rod now so you can get that 1/8 turn (probably even three steps between the 1/4 turn now)

where do you have your PJ turned out to? Happy with the top end?

Back