Twisted Engineering - Carbon Bars

I think the soft tie downs are the way to go. I will pick some up when I think about it. I am just going by way I have found so far. Five good rides no hard crashes, and I have not tie it down yet. When I do load I don't crank my bike down just what it needs not sure what kind of force but it is not solid. It is no way near the force it take when riding. I would think it would just act the same as the springs and keep tension on the tie downs. I don't think it was discussed because it is not a issues.

Seems like a bad idea if I roll it around in my engineering mind. You'll be constraining a very flexible member with forces multiples of what it was (most likely) designed to see.

I would think the forces applied to the bars would vary greatly depending on how you tie the bike down. I, myself no longer use a blocking devise between the front tire and the fender to keep the front forks from compressing. I stopped because using the blocking devise transmits very hard repeated impacts to the steering head bearings and will wear them out prematurely. Using one of those blocking devises would also greatly increase the stress put on the handlebars if that 's where the tie downs are attached.
You can still travel long distances on very bumpy roads with the bike only loosely tied down if you will do 2 things: (1) make sure the front wheel can't turn sideways and (2) make sure the tie downs can't come loose. Regular tie downs can slip (especially if they get wet) but that can be easily remedied by tying a slip knot right at the locking mechanism. The hooks on the tie down ends can bounce off if the bike is loosely tied but that is easily avoided be replacing the hooks with caribeeners or taping the hooks after securing the bike.

I would think the forces applied to the bars would vary greatly depending on how you tie the bike down. I, myself no longer use a blocking devise between the front tire and the fender to keep the front forks from compressing. I stopped because using the blocking devise transmits very hard repeated impacts to the steering head bearings and will wear them out prematurely. Using one of those blocking devises would also greatly increase the stress put on the handlebars if that 's where the tie downs are attached.
You can still travel long distances on very bumpy roads with the bike only loosely tied down if you will do 2 things: (1) make sure the front wheel can't turn sideways and (2) make sure the tie downs can't come loose. Regular tie downs can slip (especially if they get wet) but that can be easily remedied by tying a slip knot right at the locking mechanism. The hooks on the tie down ends can bounce off if the bike is loosely tied but that is easily avoided be replacing the hooks with caribeeners or taping the hooks after securing the bike.

Really? "Impacts to steering head bearings". That is a first for me.

If I didn't chock my front wheel I'd be blowing seals like crazy! My bro Inlaw didn't think it mattered and twice in a row down a crappy road ended up replacing seals. I couldn't take the risk. I could likely slow down in the. Truck as well down those back roads but that's not likely to happen with the way I drive!

Do you mean that you wrap your soft tie around the fork tube b/t upper and lower clamp? I can't picture what you are describing.

photo21_zps5c7f2289.jpg
photo_zpsdb8d9fb5.jpg

Doesn't really put any stress on the fork tubes themselves. Secured mostly to the lower triple.

I see now. Pretty clever.

How long have you been using this method? No stem bearing issues?

has anyone managed to ship these outside of the US , i had a look this morning and it gives no shipping options for the UK :( , i have a race in 3 weeks so would like to try a pair as my wrists are giving me a bit of pain afterwards.

I bought mine about 2 weeks ago and received them this week and I'm in Canada. Just call them and they'll expedite them I'm sure

Just email them directly. They gave me a decent price for shipping half way round the world, sure they can manage uk
Alternatively I guess that thumper talk shop is selling them now

trev have you had a chance to try your bars? I am hoping to get out some more this week just mounted the winter tire last night.

Just email them directly. They gave me a decent price for shipping half way round the world, sure they can manage uk
Alternatively I guess that thumper talk shop is selling them now
i did that ,so hopefully ill get a reply soon.

trev have you had a chance to try your bars? I am hoping to get out some more this week just mounted the winter tire last night.

Just having my garage re done this week so should be on this weekend. My new trelles should be here on Friday so hopefully will get out for a ride saturday. Lots of snow expected this week for us!

There is a 3 week back log of orders so I may just wait till after the new year as they won't come in time for my next race .

I just swapped my clutch out now I gotta put my studs on then ill mount the bars hopefully try them this Friday. Ill post pics when there mounted

Well here are my te bars. There is definetly flex noticeable when I stand up and press on the bars so I'm excited to try them. Seem quite quality from what I've seen. Here's a few pics
zagytyja.jpg
7e6eqyze.jpg
e7e8u5u7.jpg

These bars were cut down to just under 30" so about 5/8 off each side

Back