2010 EC 300 Water pump shaft snapped & bearing collapsed

pump impeller

I took my cover off to inspect- All but 1 impeller vane has metal imbedded in it from rubbing. Rubbing on 1 section of the cover.

My bike has 11.6hrs, owned for about 6 weeks. I have some thoughts on repair, but if it could be warranty issue. I will let that take care of it.

Last edited:
I took my cover off to inspect- All but 1 impeller vane has metal imbedded in it from rubbing. Rubbing on 1 section of the cover.

My bike has 11.6hrs, owned for about 6 weeks. I have some thoughts on repair, but if it could be warranty issue. I will let that take care of it.

At the very least put another gasket on the cover. Letting it take care of itself may leave you high and dry for a while.

So the 2010 is suspect, shall I let the guy who bought mine know about the issue?
My 2013, should I inspect, or contact my dealer?

Dealer is likely unaware, and there is no official fix anyway. Actually there is no official problem. If you want to ride the bike and not worry about a possible failure, check it and stack gaskets if needed at a minimum. If you want to make things as good as they can be as fast as they can be, get and mod the Checkpoint impeller.

Do I see a gasket shortage coming?:eek:

The gaskets were getting aren't stock gg anyway. There comtic. I use motoseal
1 from permatex. no gasket.

I have a 2011 EC300. I'll be ordering the kit from Motocross Center tomorrow. If the gaskets are the same from the 2009, will that kit fit the 2011? Jeez, thanks everyone for posting and contriuting to this thread!:eek:

Very true, gasket adds close to .5mm I'd estimate.

Guys, people are aware of this and very concerned, I'm sure something will be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a 2011 EC300. I'll be ordering the kit from Motocross Center tomorrow. If the gaskets are the same from the 2009, will that kit fit the 2011? Jeez, thanks everyone for posting and contriuting to this thread!:eek:

I look forward to seeing the install of this one!!

water pump impeller

I thought about this a bit, and decided to just fix it. much easier and less hassle. Since mine only seemed to be barely rubbing. Here's what i started to do today.

I found a tapered fine stone for my dremel, In the machined section that is visible in all the covers, i smoothed out the section- looks kind of like a poor polishing job. It probably only took a .001" off.

Tomorrow i plan on measuring the thickness of the gasket, and proceed to get my hands on some sheet gasket to measure. I imagine that i can fine gasket material that is .005-.010" thicker. I think this will be enough clearance, and i can check with clay to be sure.

Is there anything i am overlooking with this idea? or should i just take the easy route and take a little off the impeller vanes?

Guys, this is more complex than we think. At least I'm very surprised with my recent findings... I ordered the Motocrosscenter water pump kit and I also ordered a new plastic gear (the one that moves the shaft). To my surprise the brand new plastic gear is not correctly centered... :mad: there's a slight difference that will make the gear to wobble like in the video I posted earlier :mad: . I would say this wobbling might be the reason why the bearings fail. By applying this off center force in the shaft it will also force the bearings that eventually will collapse. It's not really visible on camera but holding it on my hand I can clearly see that the angle from the axis of the gear to the outside tip (where you have the dents) will not always be 90? . I ordered a another plastic gear , maybe i get lucky this time ... I'll try to illustrate later with some pics, check your plastic gears .

Sorry for the delay in responding to this issue. Both Mark and I have emailed the factory with no answer. Last night I spent a considerable bit of time on the phone with our resident engineer, Glenn (aka GMP) and came up with an idea that is not quite a fix but at least a band aid. This morning first thing Mark is calling Cometic and having them build a 1mm thick gasket. Glenn has done a lot of measuring and feels like 1mm will clear most covers without compromising coolant flow. When Mark finds out when he can get these, he will post the details here. No need to call your dealer to get these. Mark will send the gasket directly to you at no cost. I will send an email to all of the dealers telling them about this so they are aware of what we are doing. Also, please check your cover to make sure you need this gasket before you order it. Gaskets aren't super expensive but this will cost us a lot of money with freight, etc. so please be sure you need it before you order it. One other thing...this gasket is free to guys with 2010 and newer models. I don't have the money to do this on bikes I did not sell. If you have an older model and you have not had cooling issues/water pump issues by now then you probably don't have this problem anyway.If you do, Mark will sell you a gasket at his cost if you have a 2009 or older so it's still a pretty low cost fix on an older model.
Sorry for the problems.
Clay

It is impossible to come up with a perfect solution while retaining an imperfect component (impeller), and this is the most reasonable considering Clay and Mark are taking this on themselves on a local scale.

I have no idea what the true production tolerances are on this part are.
What I suggest you guys do is use the paint test on the inside of the cover as was mentioned here, first using the OEM and then the new 1mm gasket snugged down. If contact is very obvious as most seem to be the first check is not needed. Ideally, any pump like this should run as tight a clearance as possible for max flow, but clearances are needed for mfg tolerances and vary with pump sizes. Most automotive coolant pumps run less than .5mm. Mine is set at .5mm (accurately) and is absolutely fine. The idea behind the 1mm gasket is to account for light contact zero clearance by adding approx .5mm to the stack. I do not have a new OEM gasket but I beleive it is approx .5mm.

This is not that big a deal as the pump will flow fine. For you guys that want to go the extra mile do the same with the Checkpoint impeller. You will likely need to stack an OEM gasket with a new gasket if you do not modify the impeller.

The Motocrosscenter kit is good as its a turnkey solution that installs high tolerance parts on the stack.

Gasket

I just ordered a bunch of ME25944008 water pump gaskets at 1.19mm thickness, so after compression should be about 1mm thick. Cometic was kind of vague with me at production time, from 1-2 weeks, I asked them to please expedite and will keep all of you posted. I will create a new part number for the thicker gasket that would be recommended for 2010 and newer.

ME251044008. I have created a new email folder for those requesting a new gasket. 1 each will be allowed per bike, any additional will be charged. Please email "sales@gofasters.com" with your shipping information and vin number of your bike.

Good people doing good things, putting their best effort on the right actions and with a "can do" attitude! This is something to praise for, I hope GG have the decency to learn from this valuable lesson.

Back