I'm buying a Beta 300RR

Spoke to IMS yesterday, their larger tank will be sold only thru American Beta, going to email them today. I find customer service from Tim Pilg and the gang at AB to be great. Quick to respond to questions about this brand new model. First hare scramble on the bike this weekend, I'll let you guys know about gas mileage.
If I was a really good fabricator, I would make a small aluminum tank to mount above the carb between the frame rails. Another half gallon capacity is probably feasible with that approach, and the nice slim stock tank could stay.
Still in love with the bike...

Hawkeye

Also Rekluse is building their auto clutch for the new Beta 2t's. Could be out this month. Fmf has a couple pipes for it and also the spark arrested Q silencer. Other goodies to come. Like GG, a lot of the Beta parts cross over to other brands. Would be great to get that list. I love the fact that the powervalve is adjustable, the seat height is 36.6 inches, will be easy to street plate it (doesn't have offroad only on title). I'm trying to figure out how to get the money to buy one! I found a dealer in my state that will get me otd for 8600. And with a plate. All I would need to do is get Sicass Racing turn sigs and a horn, and handguards and rad guards.
I talked to a tech at A.Beta and he was able to answer all my questions and will look into a couple smaller details. Such as for now if U buy the Beta with the headlite, U get the non-spark arrested silencer. I wanted to know if Fmf would have a spark arrester end cap for this silencer. If U buy the non headlite bike, U get the Fmf Q spark arrested silencer and a choice of the non dot wiring kit. Also they throw in extra jets and front number plate. I'm sure I'm missing a lot but I'm pretty impressed.

Hmm, I never looked closely at the silencer, just assumed it had a S/A. Compared to KTM's, Beta gives you a full wiring harness, lights, brake light switches, a horn... everything but turn signals. Wiring is there for the turn signals, just plug them in. Plus you get a numberplate, skid plate & frame guards with the bike. Good value.

A smart carb is something I'd consider down the road, but the 36mm Keihin seems jetted pretty good out of the box. I put a 38 pilot in from the kit to replace the stock 35 as it was pretty cold out. Summer time the 35 will go back in.

I wonder how tight the squish dimmensions are stock?

Mine is about .090". Been thinking about talking to Ron about it, the bowl looks about like a gasser does once Ron has worked his magic on it. I might just chuck the head in the lathe and set it at .050".

I'm very happy with the bike so far. There is nothing that turns as well as a gasser but the beta is close.

Mine is about .090". Been thinking about talking to Ron about it, the bowl looks about like a gasser does once Ron has worked his magic on it. I might just chuck the head in the lathe and set it at .050".

I'm very happy with the bike so far. There is nothing that turns as well as a gasser but the beta is close.

You took my $$ and bought a Beta?!?! :D

You took my $$ and bought a Beta?!?! :D

Hey Fred. I went to Beta because Gasgas still isn't setup to sell bikes in California. A local dealer that has sponsored me for over 10 years and been selling Beta for the last 4 years offered a great deal on a new 300. The Beta is the best stock bike I've ever had and I will get it dialed even better.

I sure miss that gasser I sold to you though, that bike was so unbelievable in the single track that it is the standard by which I judge every other bike I ride.

I've had 2 races on the Beta and got the holeshot in both and ran well enough to be leading the A-vet class in AMA western hare scramble series points, bike was bone stock. I've just started tweaking with the bike, stiffened the springs front and rear and put 10mm risers under the bars. I'll probably need to work on the valving now that she's getting broken in.

Raced an hour and forty-five minutes on a half sandy, half frozen hare scramble track - had gas left over. I want to pour it out and measure, but by the sight down the tank method, I'd estimate almost a half gallon. Fork was harsh on sharp squared edged holes formed where the frost broke out of the sand, but the rear seemed fine, although I need stiffer springs at both ends as I'm 190 lbs in riding skins.

Power delivery is great, linear, smooth, however you want to label it. Hooking up on black frozen polished dirt just off of idle with negligible wheel spin, and a nice strong top end. I haven't messed with the PV adjuster.

Just for reference, new front fenders are around $40 - don't ask how I know.

Raced an hour and forty-five minutes on a half sandy, half frozen hare scramble track - had gas left over. I want to pour it out and measure, but by the sight down the tank method, I'd estimate almost a half gallon. Fork was harsh on sharp squared edged holes formed where the frost broke out of the sand, but the rear seemed fine, although I need stiffer springs at both ends as I'm 190 lbs in riding skins.

Power delivery is great, linear, smooth, however you want to label it. Hooking up on black frozen polished dirt just off of idle with negligible wheel spin, and a nice strong top end. I haven't messed with the PV adjuster.

Just for reference, new front fenders are around $40 - don't ask how I know.

Heh. We'll have tri-color graphics available this week. Pics will be be posted when they get mounted.

Shiny and New

DSC01175_zpsf2ef08a6.jpg

I was able to check out a 2103 250 & 300RR today at my local Beta dealer.

The dealer has a 2013 demo 250 and brand new 300 on the floor. I spent a fair amount of time looking over the 250. I must say, very nice bikes! I did not ride the bike, nor was it started. I just looked it over. The bike had 61 demo miles on it.

-- The seat removal "push button" is very cool!

-- Air Filter:eek: pretty tight in that airbox with the battery and all the wiring stuffed in there.....glad I don't have to deal with that. The positive battery cable cover had a nice little wear mark on it from the seat base....that could be an issue over time.

-- Seat is super light, super thin, not much padding....

-- OEM plastic skid plate...not sure now much protection the wings would provide to the side cases, but seems like good coverage under the frame craddle.

-- Rear grab handles molded into the rear of the bike were nice, I was able to pick up the back of the bike with ease....

-- The entire bikes seemed pretty light, I was able to pick up the bike.

-- Nice side stand...very GasGas like with the rubber strap to prevent the side stand from flopping around.

-- FMF pipe and TCIIQ nice!

--Chain guide looks pretty solid

-- Fuel petcock seems to protrude from the tank

-- Ergo's seem really nice just sitting on the bike, and really slim:)

-- Small tank 2.1 gallon?? I was told by the dealer a bigger IMS tank is on the way

-- The motor looks a little like a GasGas, power valve cover on the left side of the cylinder...

-- Seat heights was nice, I was able to touch the ground flat footed...

-- Frame paint looked really thick and appeared to be able to take some abuse and frame proctectors in "high rub areas"

-- Hubs had a nice "factory look", high polish very clean!

Overall very nice, I'd like to ride one to get a "seat of the pants" feel, but in person the bike looks really well put together:)

Here is a ride report from our club member who recently got his 300rr delivered. He has owned KTM 2-strokes (300cc) for the last decade.

Jeff and I did a 40 mile loop and started at MM4. Ran into 4 guys (one from montana) and one ATR rider.

Anyway, I wanted to really evaluate the Beta 300 as this was my second ride on it. (The first being last weekend). The motor is just the bomb. I can't say enough good things about what beta has done with it. Not sure if it's because they are a trials bike company....but they have the BEST offroad motor that I've ever riden! If any of you want to ride it, you're more than welcome! (except Frank)

The thing also turns like SOOOOOO good, It brings a smile to my face!

Some of the things I am working on is....It's not as stable as the KTM, I will probably push the forks down in the clamps a bit and also get a longer chain to puch the rear wheel back a bit.....may even take a turn out of the spring(rear) so that sag's down a little more.

A lot of the parts that were on my KTM 300 fit on here with either no or very little modification....like radiator gaurds, air filter, silencer, footpegs (MSR Softpegs are the best)!

Some other things that are will never fit are...pipe, any brake parts because they are Nissan.....by the way. I would say the brakes are as good in every way as the KTM's...which are (pretty darn good!)!

The overall components and way it was put together is very impressive and as good or better than the ktms and way better than the Japs! One thing they could do better is to put a spark arrestor on it and a little bigger gas tank!
But again....The MOTOR is what really seperates this bike from the rest! Its very electric and no (or little) vibration....Its awesome in every way!

Anyway, my next steps are to try an get it a tiny bit more stable...I will push the rear wheel back (get longer chain) and make it sag a tiny bit more with adjusting the shock spring.

Trials background reminds me of GG and great handling. The fact that it has the lower seat height is important to me at 5' 6".
I would also think that cutting out the middleman would/could save time and money for all.

It could be cheaper, but it's not. People are paying near full boat for these Betas.

While some aspects of the Beta are good, such as fit & finish, I get the impression that it doesn't turn quite as quick as the GG and certainly isn't as stable at speed. The suspension will only match the GG if the buyer opts for the extra-cost optional suspension which is standard equipment on US Gassers.

Three weeks and I still haven't found the time to go down the street to ride that Beta 300.

Back