Marzocchi 48mm CC Forks

WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO DO A VIDEO OF THE 48MM CC FORK TEAR DOWN AND RE-ASSEMBLY (in english, and a video rather than a slideshow)?

With no documentation from Marzocchi it would be extremely helpful.

I want to tear down my forks and would do a video of my service but I'm a novice. If someone wants to shoot raw footage I will do the video editing and give you the edited version to upload.

Any takers?

So my forks went in and when i picked them up he told me that the bleed system was difficult to work. So he spent some time working out why and he found that when he measured the bleed shaft and the seal that is suppose to let the oil leak through that the seal is so firm on the shaft it Will seal when it should be allowing oil through. Anyone else found this? Anyway a few mods were made and it bleeds good now. Have not put them back on yet but Will repost when i do.

Read my post on filling and bleeding. These are more difficult to assemble than KYBs due to the 7mm minimum cartridge spring preload. I think your right, there is a high stiction on the floating piston shaft. That is why the cartridge must be compressed rapidly, otherwise trapped air is compressed before the piston moves. It does bleed from the shaft taper though. Try it, it worked good.

I'll be doing mine again this winter, but its too messy to handle a camera or a phone. If my son will video I'll do it.

My suspension guy machined a small groove to allow it to function as it should. Not too much just enough to get it happening. Does Anyone have the torque setting for the fork bolts in the triple clamp?

Last edited:
With a bit of ride time on my 300 with the forks revalved and the machining of the floating rod it is definitely an improvement and i wont be changing them from here. I was not disappointed before but things are certainly feeling more "me" now. Have not heard the "clunk" yet either since serviced.

New XC 300R :-)

Just picked up a new XC 300R from Mort's Powersports in Mobile, Alabama.
John the owner is a great guy and has been very helpful trying to help me get the bike dialed in, I have had the bike for 2 months and have put 10 hours on it. I will be riding mainly South Alabama Woods, Tight, Technical, Roots, Sandy, Hills and mud. I am 40 years Young, I have only been back riding for 1 year after a 7 year break, I raced in SERA Southern Enduro Riders,
in my late 20s early 30s. before that I rode alot but not raced.
I am 6ft 200 lb
South Alabama: Hot, Humid, Sea Level.
So far:
Main Jet: 172
Pilot Jet: 40
Airscrew: 1.5
Needle stock in the top clip,
Slide; stock
Fuel: 93 octane 100% unleaded, (no corn) 44to1 Golden Spectro.
Took a minute to get it lean enough. Seems to have good crisp power all the way through the power curve, rain setting. Still has alittle spooge but atleast I know there is lube.
Suspension seemed very ridgid at first, bounced in the rear over roots and square edges, divey in the front end going into corners.
Changed back tire to Michilin sc12wc (much better than stock)
Rear Shock Ohlins 888: backed off rear spring preload 2 turns, low speed compression 16 clicks out,
rebound 20 clicks out,
Front Forks: Marzocchi 48mm recieved with pfp all the way out. I Turned in 1.25 turns,
Compression 16 clicks out, Rebound 14 clicks out.
Seems alot better than stock but i like it soft and plush. I will call Evan at
Solid Performance, when i am ready for service and revalve, Hopefully he can help me plushin it up.
Allso moved bars to forward position. Cut 3/4 inch off both end of bars and added Cycra bark busters, Mounted light switch inside front number plate right above light.
Love the 300 POWER, I can leave it in 3rd and work the clutch.
Bike Really promotes standing.
Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Josh Gibson
joshgibson@aencservices.com

13 XC300R (LUV IT)
02 DRZ 400 S, Great bike to get to work.
97 KTM 250 SX Awesome Machine But Needs LUV.
09 YZ450 Going to set up for woods.
99 KTM 300 MXC SOLD
97 KTM 250 EXC SOLD
92 KTM 250 EXC SOLD
LOTS OF OTHERS
FIRST BIKE 79 KX 80

Last edited:
What a great thread! All this knowledge plus the now available service manual pretty much clears up any mystery (to the suspension novice) about these forks. I read the service manual 3 times before reading this thread and it really brought into perspective how much more the detail the manual could have included. I think ill be sending my forks out to verify oil levels/quality in the pfp as well as the lower cartridge. Thanks to all who chimed in here. Great read.

something that i should have done, but didn't, check all the fork settings. I had one side rebound all the way out, the other about 10 out. have them both 5 in from full open and may try slowing rebound a bit more, got some air off off a few small jumps from the rebound :) Had a great ride, probably 25-35 in some nasty sand and a lot of really tight stuff - only tipped over a few times (like tipping cows). Going to try and stick with the full height, but so that everyone else doesn't hurt themselves laughing, I may have it lowered about 10mm.
This 13 feels a lot more stable than the 11 even without getting a damper on it yet. when the damper arrives I may go to 2 turns in on the PFS for the sand.
so far, i am liking this thing!!! that I can ride it without flexx bars and still have some function left in my wrists to Velcro my shoes says something :) (other than I am old and broken)

Just opened up my 2013 forks, carts move full range at exact same speed, all clickers click can only guess they've actually trained the workforce and the workforce now know what to do in the factory. All settings were from the manual, using the normal settings.

Cheers.

Good work mate.
Obviosly you didn't get the old bike back and insurance paid out?
How is the 13?
Swap ya???
Cheers Mark

Shim Stack

This is Marzocchi standard , it's not from any tuner.

Compression
2 x 11 x 0,20
18 x 0,15
20 x 0,10
22 x 0,10
24 x 0,10
26 x 0,15
2 x 32 x 0,15
12 x 0,10

Rebound
12 x 0,10
20 x 0,10
18 x 0,10
14 x 0,10

By pass
12 x 0,10
2 x 20 x 0,15
2 x 11 x 0,20
15 x 0,15
16 x 0,15
18 x 0,15
Spring

Compression : 20 out
Rebound : 20 out
Spring : K 0,420
Preeload : 2nd up (0mm.)
PFP : 02 turn in
Spring PFP : K 20
Oil : EBH 16 (7,5wt.)
Oil level : 320cc

Last edited:
I did mine successfully last night, and I'm confident its corrrect. Please be carefull with this stuff, think about how you retain it so you don't break something or slip and hurt yourself. It takes a little arm strength but certainly no straps!:eek:

Filled cartridge with 210 - 215 cc, did a preliminary bleed by cycling the damper rod with the rebound clicker open.

Adjusted oil level to 125 - 130mm with damper rod extended, and let sit for a half hour. No more oil or things wil be VERY difficult.

Grease orings on comp/PFP assembly, oil on bushing. I dipped the comp piston in oil and shook it around to get some of the air from under and behind the shims out.

Insert the assembly slowly into the cartridge. You will notice a huge distance from the bottom of the comp assembly cap to the cartridge cap when the the lower PFP oring engages the bore and resistance starts. This is mostly from a large slug of trapped air.

Keep light to moderate pressure on the comp assembly, and slowly raise the damper rod with your other hand. While doing this, wiggle the comp assembly side to side slightly. You will hear a short hiss as air escapes between the lower oring and PFP bore in the cartridge. The idea is to keep the lower PFP oring right at the very edge of the bore, and increase the pressure by raising the rod. Its important to maintain pressure on the assembly so it does not draw any air in. Once you hear air escape the PFP oring will seal, so lower the damper rod while keeping pressure on the assembly. Repeat, it should take two or three cycles before no more air is able to be purged.

Now notice how much closer the assembly cap is to the cartridge because most(not all) of the air is gone. Now compress the PFP spring and use your cap tool to start the threads. What I found to be easiest and safest is to hold the cartridge in the vise using a 45mm seal driver as a guide, with a piece of polyethelene under it(you could cut a milk jug too). This is slick especially with oil and allows you to just compress and hold the cap in position, while turning the cartridge body from the bottom with your other hand. That way you do not have to release pressure and regrip the tool after a partial turn and wonder if you got the threads started.

Snug the comp assembly down. Put a rag on the bench to protect the rebound adjuster body/threads. Compress the cartridge slowly, you should have full travel and it should extend completely. Each cartridge will likely extend at different rates, and the PFP will be at different positions when viewed through the 5mm holes. Do this several times, adjust the comp and rebound clickers to 2 clicks out from full hard, and do several times more. This will purge oil through the shim stacks and any small bubbles out. Open the clickers and let the cartrides sit for a few minutes.

At this time all seems well but its not, there is a lot of air and excess oil to purge. You will notice that it does not purge through the PFP shaft recess at full compression. Why? I beleive its because you are fighting stiction of the PFP piston and orings, you are losing PFP travel from this while the trapped air is compressing, and the inner seal cannot reach the shaft recess. What you must do to get around this is compress the cartridge RAPIDLY, as fast as you can until it bottoms. Transient force overcomes stiction(think impact tools). When you do this fast enough you will hear a gurgle from the top as the PFP clears the shaft recess and vents. Do this several times until it no longer vents, mine vented twice. Dump the few cc of purged oil from the top of the cartridge through the holes.

Now, both cartridges should acheive full travel at the same force and extend at or very close to the same rate. Looking through the 5mm holes, the top edge of the upper PFP o-ring groove should just be visible at the bottom of the hole when the cartridge is fully compressed. Now your done, each cartridge has the same amount of oil and no trapped air.

So, you guys that are drastically overfilling and hoping to purge it out are killing yourselves for nothing. It should not be and is not that hard when done as described. The 210 - 215cc range is just enough to allow a purge as described. But, just filling with 210cc and closing it up is no good either. It may purge by itself while riding but I'm not sure if you can or want to bottom it that hard.

Back together it feels really nice with the bounce test, increased rebound is evident, and I suspect it will be more compliant with the correct cartridge pressure and valving tweaks. Hope to get another part I'm waiting on so I can ride it and report.

Just changed the oil in my zoke 48s, they had 12 hrs on them and had felt wrong on the last ride. I have one recommendation to ad to GMPs detailed bleeding method, as per the zoke manual (located somewhere on here) when you place the compression unit in the cartridge fully raise the damper rod, this gives virtually no room for trapped air, you must set the cartridge oil height to 140 mm damper rod fully extended and cycled a few times (this was slightly more than 210cc) you will find the whole unit goes together easily. The rapid cycling of the damper rod after its all back together is the trick, I got one fart from each catridge with the smallest amount of oil mist and virtually none when the cartridge was inverted.

The oil was shot in mine, thicker and completely creamed up (badly bled from factory). Because the cart is non recirculating like a Showa closed cartridge or any open cartridge fork, it's going to need more cartridge oil services, I noticed when I had ohlins ttx (same concept preloaded sealed cartridge, ohlins use gas pressure instead) that they were gone at 40hrs, so I'd say you can expect similar times withe the zokes.

LUCKILY there is no easier fork to work on, you need two specialty tools that every yz from 2005 on needs too, the compression unit removal octagonal socket and a universal Showa kyb fork cap wrench ( 40 bucks the lot MAX) you also need to be able to set the fork oil height, motion pro or race tech make good tools for cheap for this, or you can make something homemade with a ruler and a syringe. You need a measuring jug and a fine measurement vessel like a cheap mm rain guage from a hardware store or a 500 mm measuring tube of the net for fifteen bucks.

Then you need a cartridge holder, 2 by 4 ( forbeetwo in oz) pine, drill a 1"1/4 hole and cut down the middle. Done.

The damping completely returned, I actually had to removed some rebound damping and added compression back in ( it was feeling harsh the last ride, good sign your oils gone). I used belray 7wt because that's all the bike shop on the way home had. I added 10mm oil for more bottoming resistance.

Hope that helps.

So what Fork Oil are you all running? The brother in-law was telling me a 7.5 Weight is not a 7.5 weight in another brand that there is NO standard among brands. So if true, what do you all run?

I have 5,000 miles on my GasGas and figure I should do the Fork Oil.

I have an Amsoil account and saw they only had a 5 and a 10 weight.

Edited to say/add: Will gear I would guess 220-230 lbs, the stock setup works great for me, I have no issues.

Back