New U.S. Enduro Importer Q and A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok....Skidad first.
I don't want to give model breakdown numbers but it is over 300 units total.
On the 200...I have asked for a spec sheet with exact changes and differences but haven't gotten it yet. Since Spain is on another holiday, I won't have it for a couple of weeks.
Honestly the e start system looked similar to KTM but is arranged vertically rather than horizontally. The biggest issue I had w/ my KTM was the grease. Once you removed it and lubed it with something different, it seemed to work fine.
Our MSO will be a "plain" MSO likes KTMs except in states like NJ that require the Off road use only statement.
The 450 bothers me, not because of GG450 issues but because there is so much inventory out there with other brands. It simply isn't going to be possible to homogolate this unit. If I spent $50k to get 50 bike street legal, that add $1k to the cost of each bike. The numbers just don't work yet. I also think GG will go to a Yamaha 450 engine in the near future so then you start over with the cost. The orange street legal units started out strong but have now come to a screeching halt.
Europe does not understand our racing needs. The tanks on the GG's now are big enough for World Enduro type stuff but not for a 2 hour hs. Give me a year to do a little more volume and then I will ask for different features on our stuff. Last year I raced 22 weekends so I will have those frustrations, too and will be motivated to ask for them. When a distributor is selling less than 100 units here, he can't ask for those items. If that distributor is selling good numbers, he can ask for other items. I am sending a bike to Enduro Engineering and Bulletproof so they can build aftermarket things for them.
To be a new dealer, three bikes and $500 in parts. We have flooring, margins and will have bikes in stock. We have corrected all of the issues that dealers complained about under the other distributor. Ted is talking to Sheffield about retail financing. We have a small pricing advantage over the orange guys.
I think that got most of your questions. Did I miss anything?
Clay

Dank said:
you mentioned looking for riders in regional circuits, how would one place their name in front of you?

Dank,
I would prefer to have dealers talk to me about riders who they believe can sell bikes for them. If you know of someone who would be good, have him talk to a dealer.I know that is hard to do now since we don't know exactly who will be a dealer, so be patient.
Clay

GMP,
I really don't know what to do about this issue. The bigger companies have not been able to figure it out so I don't think we have a chance at addressing this. Maybe there will be something with the direct injection bikes that will help us with emissions?
Clay

I personally would not bother bringing any 450 4T into NA. Not that the EC450 is a bad bike. It is not. As Clay mentioned, the 450 4T bandwagon is coming to a screeching halt. The market is saturated with 450s from Husq, KTM, Berg, Beta, not to mention the Big 4 Jap bikes. As a Husky and Husaberg dealer I can tell you that interest in 450cc + 4Ts is no where near where is was a couple of years ago. 250/300Fs are still selling well, but no one is that interested in the big bikes right now.

The only KTMs that are in demand are 250/300 2Ts so it only makes sense for GG US to order heavy on those as that is where the demand is today.

With Husky ignoring their WR250/300 and KTMs being in very short supply for 2011, GG has a huge opportunity to grab some new customers with the e-start EC250/300s.

Clay,
Thank you,, a clear MSO so far is good enough in Pa.. at least for now.. as soon as the wife gets a job I'm going to be looking at a new GG.. Have you talked to anybody in NE Pa yet to be a dealer,, like cycle playground in dupont?

Streetable MSO would be great in NJ but I understand to problems. I had a dozen peopel asking for bikes until we found my 2010 couldn't be tagged in NJ. NJ enduros always need a tag since the begining. Inforcment is new and lowered numbers of racers greatly in last year or so.

Only question I've been asking everyone with reguard to Husky is they have their WR two strokes on the taggable list in NJ with zero emisions parts on board. No one can answer that question as most brands can't get their four strokes on the list.

Hopefully I can get an order to you quickly to be on the new dealer list and sell some bikes in these parts....

cheers,

Rick

Clay if you can, States that require just a clear MSO.
Stamp the dreeeded sentence on the very bottom of the MSO. I am sure the dealers in states were the MSO are stampend are at a slight disadvantage.

ED

Clay,

Thanks for some honest answers to lots of questions and taking the TIME to hop on this forum (and NEDB) which can be a huge time killer:eek:

About the gas tank thing...I see this more of a world wide issue GG is slacking on. We have guys on this forum from all over the world and many who do not race but just trail ride. A tank with at least another gallon would be most welcome from tons of these guys not just racers. A poorly jetted 300 can suck through 2.5 gallons in 40 miles. Maybe not your problem to deal with (yet) but it's something GG as a company should have dealt with years ago IMO.

Just curious, are you bringing in any 450's anyway? Seems like GNCC and maybe more out west is the only place 450's have a bigger demand. Personally I have no interest in one except as a dual sport bike. My prediction is the new KTM 350 will be the new GNCC bike of choice for many.

Any Nambotin Replicas coming our way?

3 bikes and $500 in parts...wow....how can a potential dealer not be willing to give this a try at such a low risk??????

Thanks again for answering our questions.

TNT,

Husky 2-strokes on the NJ list? Really? Sounds fishy to me.

Its funny that the vast majority of bikes at ECEA enduros are not the homolagated KTMs and Huskys. Can't claim an advantage for GG with regard to this but no disadvantage to KTM either.

title

KTM's come through with a title that is the same as a street legal bike...says nothing about offroad use only. Enforcment is more the issue these days. Older bikes from 2006 and earlier went through....

My '07 MSO was clean also, but it did not matter. This all started in '07, the DMV office where I took my '07 EC250 MSO had a master list, actually in the form of a hard copy printout, that clerk referenced before denying my title and plate. She had the plate in hand ready to give it to me before the supervisor reminded her to check the list. Almost got away with it. Perhaps now its more integrated with the system to elimnate human error, I don't know.

Yeah, I don't see a way around this in NJ but if the objective is just to get reg and plate to enter events, the out of state option works. For true dual sport use or more road riding not in events, where you are much more likely to be pulled over, the the non-resident plate could be a problem but there are not many of those runs here and the 2-stroke is not the best choice anyway.

title

Yeah, they just use the approved manufactures list (NJ DMV website will list it...WR 125-300 on list lol) now in most cases to issue a tag and title. Out of state plates are dwindling down as many states that once did this no longer issue a plate instead they give you a sticker for the fork tube. Many have shut down friends as well that have tried these routes that once worked. Its hard to ellaborate anymore on a public forum....

Cheers,

Rick

Canyon is about 165 miles nw of me,, almost in NY state.. but,, if thats the closest dealer.. I might be up for a 5 hr round trip.. I just talked to them last sunday too,, they had the new ktm 300 and a new hussy on display in the pits at my clubs HS,, ours was a national this year..

Dealer

With any luck I will be able to help in the near future for a closer dealer... In Millville, NJ about 3 hours away...

Cheers,

Rick

Man we got 300 KTM's in and they are gone...like didn't last the week. Not getting many more so the Gassers will be very welcome. Guys the race back to 2 strokes is full throttle this year. I have 3 Gassers presold when they get here. Only 4 strokes moving are the 350 and 250. I have one guy waiting on a 2011 Berg 450. I wish I could sent all my 450's back.

I think along similar lines to the after market gas tank issue applies to all the bolt-on extras, dampers, guards, bling etc

This alll needs to be ready as by the time the bikes hit the floor. I know here in SA some guys have gone the orange sheep route because there were no scott damper mounts available for the 2010's

I commend gofasters on their input chasing these things up,(believe they are working with scotts on getting a damper mount soon) but that is a bit late. Guys that can afford to ride a new bike generally want to also bling it up a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back