Revised Jetting Specs NEDW

ordered nedw and necw needle today..

any recommendations on where to start?
2007 ec300, race fuel.
i'm currently running n1eg, #2, 42 pilot, 175 main. 70+ degrees and it's coloring plug nicely, just barely on the lean side of things - if the temp dropped a few degrees i'd 100% go richer on the main and probably on the pilot too..... i get a very minor hanging idle sometimes. but it settles down to an incredibly low idle, and will idle there for 10 seconds maybe before it dies. long enough for me.

but bike pulls hard instantly, with no burble. there's no big hit, but throttle is quite touchy - the transition to warp speed is maybe too fast :)

The 42 Pilot should maybe cut the mustard. The W is a few steps leaner than the G diameter needle you are running, so you might have to bump it up one. I'd think you might be turned in a fair bit on the idle screw to get the idle you speak of with the G diameter, which would also cause a hanging idle sometimes. I'd keep the 175 main for a start as both NEDx and N1Ex/NOZx are quite rich on their 3rd tapers. As for clip position I'd start in the middle and go by feel. It'll put you in the ball park, and from there you can adjust as you feel necessary.

From seat of the pants/Bum Dyno. I'd compare N1EG#2 in my bike to NEDW#3. The bike burbles and carries on but pulls like a freight train once it gets a move on. No good for what I do, but should give you an example for cross reference. Let us know how you get on!

The 42 Pilot should maybe cut the mustard. The W is a few steps leaner than the G diameter needle you are running, so you might have to bump it up one. I'd think you might be turned in a fair bit on the idle screw to get the idle you speak of with the G diameter, which would also cause a hanging idle sometimes. I'd keep the 175 main for a start as both NEDx and N1Ex/NOZx are quite rich on their 3rd tapers. As for clip position I'd start in the middle and go by feel. It'll put you in the ball park, and from there you can adjust as you feel necessary.

From seat of the pants/Bum Dyno. I'd compare N1EG#2 in my bike to NEDW#3. The bike burbles and carries on but pulls like a freight train once it gets a move on. No good for what I do, but should give you an example for cross reference. Let us know how you get on!

X2

It's starting to get a little colder over here, so I would start out with the W @#3, the 42 pilot and the 175 main, AS at 1.5 . I agree with whats been stated above and this should get you pretty close. You may have to fine tune with the AS though.

hey Jakobi,

just got back from a ride at lithgow 3000' 15 deg c and decided to add some caltex octane booster to caltex 98 (at the sixty litre per bottle rate), go back to a 42 JD blue clip 4 from top, 175 and finally got a reading, it was at the end of ride and bike rode perfect all day, 93 km about 600ml left in tank.

this was a 3/4 wot reading after 7km of flat out fire trail.

I think the s3 head is very fuel fussy

Attachments

• octane boost.JPG
    octane boost.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 48
hey Jakobi,

just got back from a ride at lithgow 3000' 15 deg c and decided to add some caltex octane booster to caltex 98 (at the sixty litre per bottle rate), go back to a 42 JD blue clip 4 from top, 175 and finally got a reading, it was at the end of ride and bike rode perfect all day, 93 km about 600ml left in tank.

this was a 3/4 wot reading after 7km of flat out fire trail.

I think the s3 head is very fuel fussy

Was this after running the NEDW? How did they compare back to back at elevation?

Does your bike colour your plug evenly? Mine is always reads right on one side and lean on the other, or rich on one and right on the other so I mostly go by feel and power delivery. 15c sounds nice.. Was 35 here today and humid too!

Nah, just the JD needle, the guys I was with were quite serious and didnt want to stop bar a munch session, so didn't have the time to swap the needle back. the plug coloured right round and down and was a new today br8es, just a slight greying to the brown on the exhuast side. had no chung chung chung, perfect steady low idle even after some long single, i really think it was the fuel, it was the only change. i'll try the nedw next time from the start.

out of interest, do you have any idea how the JD blue needle compares to the NEDW and is there a richer version?

I've not used either of the JD needles so I can't really give you a comparison as to how I felt they ran.

From all accounts of what I've read the NEDW is a step leaner on the straight diameter than the JD Red. Both a triple taper needles, and both quite smooth in delivery. JD generally requires a few sizes larger on the main as its 3rd taper is lean. NEDx has a rich 3rd taper and requires a leaner main jet.

You have run the NEDW before on clip 3 haven't you? I'm getting confused and assuming you're the same Simmo737 from dbw :)

If you wanted to richen up the bottom end of the NEDx you could always try a NEDG or NEDF. Seems with my bike at my temps and elevation I'm always looking for something a bit leaner.

Can't wait to get my NECW in and reap the rewards of perfect crispy delighfulness!

so i raced on the n1eg yesterday. i got 48 miles, 2:20ish race time, did not refuel (couldn't find my pit - DOH!) . i turned the reserve on at 39 miles, but probably didn't need to. at the end there was enough fuel in the tank to just cover the standpipe of the petcock.... this is the best fuel consumption i've ever had, and the bike runs great. are the nedw/necw as fuel miserly? i've got no issues with the n1eg - is it worth it to switch? what is the advantage???

Last edited:
I've been getting about 10km/litre out of the nedw#2. 60kms takes about 6L to fill it up. N1EF#1 my bike hit reserve at 80km after putting in an extra litre. The N1 range is just too rich at my temp and elevation and particular bike.

It really depends how keen you are. You might save a little fuel, you might not. You might like the power delivery or not. I didn't mind the delivery of the N1.. I just couldn't get lean enough and would load up, smoke and spooge along with poor consumption.

If you have a spare half a day and can be bothered to do some tinkering then I'd been interested in hearing how you go. If not then completely understandable. If its not broke don't fix it.. then again nothing ventured nothing gained :)

i'm a tinkerer - but after my findings - it's almost not worth the risk - the power delivery is good, as long as i stay out of first gear, climbs hills with ease - did not stall even when i was a gear high on the bigger hills, chugs along great in the higher gears, and fuel consumption allows me to run a 2 hour race with no refuel. idles well enough, and never stalled... this is my second race on the n1eg - the first was a mud fest, and i had no fuel issues (1:48 race time) - approx 30 miles... . bike never loaded up - and didn't smoke excessively (although it smoked more than dd/cc needles have for me). this weekend's race was a wide open gncc 'fast' track, so i was at 1/2 throttle or above all the time. there were points where i was looking for 7th gear :)

No risk in changing jets around, as long as you know your last working settings. Know that feeling you speak of looking for another gear :D

Heading out this weekend for some more tinkering. Bikes been prepped with the 40P AS 2 out. N3CW#2. 170 Main. Hope its on the money.

got my jakobi needle in yesterday... no time to test this weekend ..

Going to drop the pilot 1 size as i had to come out to 2.5 turns and could have gone a bit more to clean up the bottom end. Mid range is crisp but signs off up top a bit. Going back to the 172 main. Slight hanging idle if thrashing around on the main for too long.

Update: Dropping the pilot didn't help clean up the burble on the bottom end. Just resulted in hard starting and caused hanging idle to get worse. Even with the 172 main. After a few sessions up and down the street the only way to clean up the low - mid range was to lift the clip again. Ended up with nice crisp response right off idle. Less vibration in general and a bike thats happy to sing sing sing on the pipe. Smooth and controllable off, and will idle on the stand for as long as I want. 40P AS1.75 NEDW#1 172. I still have no idea why my bike in particular requires such a lean needle to run crisp. Will be doing 180kms of wet sloppy forrest, red clay fire trails, and some nice rocky mountain climbs tomorrow. Should be a good test.

Last edited:
with the weather getting cooler here, my NOZH 42 pilot combo idles very well on clip 1. I got the air screw to sit at the preferred 1.5 turns out pretty much all the time.

I am still at a 160 main. I went to a 165 and the bike had a hard time revving out. 160 just rips your arms out.

I did try the N3EH I had and it idles about the same, but I use much more fuel with it. It runs a little smoother than the NOZH. 170 main if I use the N3 needle.

What I do notice with any needle is that if you putt-putt around off the pipe for a while, the bike won't idle right with any needle in it. If you ride it a little harder, and are just coming off of being "on the pipe" the bike idles perfectly. Not a hanging idle, but just right. If I stop and it is idling low, I just bump the throttle a little and it idles higher.

Going to drop the pilot 1 size as i had to come out to 2.5 turns and could have gone a bit more to clean up the bottom end. Mid range is crisp but signs off up top a bit. Going back to the 172 main. Slight hanging idle if thrashing around on the main for too long.

Update: Dropping the pilot didn't help clean up the burble on the bottom end. Just resulted in hard starting and caused hanging idle to get worse. Even with the 172 main. After a few sessions up and down the street the only way to clean up the low - mid range was to lift the clip again. Ended up with nice crisp response right off idle. Less vibration in general and a bike thats happy to sing sing sing on the pipe. Smooth and controllable off, and will idle on the stand for as long as I want. 40P AS1.75 NEDW#1 172. I still have no idea why my bike in particular requires such a lean needle to run crisp. Will be doing 180kms of wet sloppy forrest, red clay fire trails, and some nice rocky mountain climbs tomorrow. Should be a good test.

had a few minutes.. put it in.. feels great so far..
real good crisp low end.. will carry front wheel easily thru 3 gears..
nedw.. ctr clip for now.. 40 p 170 m as 1.5

had a few minutes.. put it in.. feels great so far..
real good crisp low end.. will carry front wheel easily thru 3 gears..
nedw.. ctr clip for now.. 40 p 170 m as 1.5

Glad to hear its running well. Would love to see/hear some video. Any burble at part throttle?

Just to summarize could you put down previous jetting specs, along with elevation, temp, humidity etc. Just helps for others to have an area for comparison.

Glad to hear its running well. Would love to see/hear some video. Any burble at part throttle?

Just to summarize could you put down previous jetting specs, along with elevation, temp, humidity etc. Just helps for others to have an area for comparison.

it burbled once about 1/3 throttle, but i think it was not fully warmed up..
once warm it ran great..
i am in amarillo TX 79109.. we are 3500', but our air here is horrible.. we sometimes have a corrected altitude over 5000.. it was about 80 today and maybe 20% humidity.. we are in a huge drought.. previous jetting is not much help as this bike came from the houston area, but it was 182 main, 42 pilot, cek clip 2..normally, on my other gg.. 40 to 42 pilot, both bikes have 170 mains..
will give it a good ride hopefully next weekend.. hopeful get some video time.. thanks jakobi..

Tried moving the clip from #2 to #3 and rode about 30 miles. Result was too much blubering. Switched back to #2 position and 50 miles of very nice jetting.

'05 DE300, 38mm PWK, #7 slide 170M/38P/NEDW#2,2 1/2 out.

4000' elevation, 60 degrees.

Other than handing over the carb to RB, this is pretty darn good setup

Tried moving the clip from #2 to #3 and rode about 30 miles. Result was too much blubering. Switched back to #2 position and 50 miles of very nice jetting.

'05 DE300, 38mm PWK, #7 slide 170M/38P/NEDW#2,2 1/2 out.

4000' elevation, 60 degrees.

Other than handing over the carb to RB, this is pretty darn good setup

I'm going to give this a try next time out just for giggles cause I can't help myself :) I was pretty happy with the 40 NEDW#2 172, bit burbly in the lower openings. At clip 1 its very nice off the bottom end and lugs like a tractor but feels a bit weak/flat right before it comes onto the pipe, then it rips.

Dropping the main 1 and the pilot 1 might clean up the top and bottom while still giving it a beefy mid range. Tinker tinker tinker.

Good to see others are having good results with the needle. Good call MJC

Back