APT SmartCarb

As long as its no worse restarting after a crash than a PWK. Not all the fuel flowing from the tank escapes the overflow and vents when the bike is down. If it starts like a crashed 250F with an FCR then there will be a problem.

What was the issues with the fitment of the throttle cables? Both the stocker and the motionpro T3 plugged right into the keihin without issue. I really love the captive ends and not having to tie wire everything up.

If the bikes been for a sleep if all it needs is a hand full of throttle with a solid kick I can work with that. Currently even if I lay mine on its side it only takes 2 kicks at most to come back to life.

Hi corey

The mrs said there was a small box came today from america , turned out it was a spring , thanks for that , ill be sure to fit it when im home next .
On the cable front , we are lucky to have venhill in the uk , you can buy a diy kit very cheap or they will make up cables for not much more.

Chris

Hi corey

The mrs said there was a small box came today from america , turned out it was a spring , thanks for that , ill be sure to fit it when im home next .
On the cable front , we are lucky to have venhill in the uk , you can buy a diy kit very cheap or they will make up cables for not much more.

Chris

Welcome Chris, I'll give Venhill a call. Sounds like I might be able to get cables made overseas cheaper than what Motion-Pro is dealing me.:D

The thread pitch for the original SmartCarb tops (where the throttle rceptacle screwed in) was different than the stock.
The MotionPro T3 screws right on to the stock carb top, and into the throttle housing (so it can't come out and hold the throttle slide open).

Since the thread pitch was different, it wouldn't screw in.
At least that was the problem I had.

APT promptly sent me out the new style and I returned the other.

My understanding is all come with the same pitch as the stock carb now.

Mark

Last edited:
The thread pitch for the original SmartCarb tops (where the throttle rceptacle screwed in) was different than the stock.
The MotionPro T3 screws right opinion the stock carb top, and into the throttle housing (so it can't come out and hold the throttle slide open).

Since the thread pitch was different, it wouldn't screw in.
At least that was the problem I had.

APT promptly sent me out the new style and I returned the other.

My understanding is all come with the same pitch as the stock carb now.

Mark

That is correct.

Does Barnett still make cables?

What I like about the MP one is screwing into both ends.
A small stick pulling the throttle cable out with the regular type can ruin your month...

Motion Pro also makes custom cables. You can call them and say I want the GG long +6 inches. I think it took them a week or so to make mine last time. I sent them a note to see if they still do that. will post when I hear back.

Corey,

Have you considered a "rental" program where potential buyers could rent the SmartCarb for a 1-2 week period to test. This would be a great selling tool in my opinion because it let's a skeptical buyer convince they need it, they turn around and spread more free advertisement, and more come knocking on your door to try it out. The rental program could be done on a waiting list like you are doing for purchasing the die-cast version. The buyer/renter would pay shipping both ways and whatever amount you deem appropriate for the 1-2 week trial period. It could also be set up as a pay-forward where after getting done with it, the one user then ships it to the next person in line (and sends you a confirmation mail for tracking). Only a few carbs would be needed for demos, then you could sell those in the end if desired at a used price.

I haven't forgotten your questions about a loaner carb program. I'm for it as soon as I have ample supply and I suggested earlier that I have several 38mm's returned from GG factory and from several of our racers that would make good test subjects. Engineers are concerned they don't have latest updates and might turn some people off do to lack of overflow corrections, bowl updates etc. Marketing/legal is having fits over how to manage flow of carbs moving from hand to hand during the allotted time paid for use, shipping liabilities/insurance and so on. Most just suggest a return program in a set period of time if not happy, which we will do anyway, however then I have a used carb to try to resell. So still wading through the pros and cons......:confused:

get credit card numbers and charge them full price + if the carb is not mailed by the agreed upon time either back to you or the next person in line. I know that this would make me get it in the mail asap and then peoples excuses would be null and void also new owners of a smart carb if they wanted it or not.

get credit card numbers and charge them full price + if the carb is not mailed by the agreed upon time either back to you or the next person in line. I know that this would make me get it in the mail asap and then peoples excuses would be null and void also new owners of a smart carb if they wanted it or not.

Reasonable plan, but then if unforeseen's, like shipping delays, weather, fitment, cable etc. cause problems and that person isn't able to test in their allotted time ( I would think two weeks would be sufficient but??) then the next guy in line is waiting and the next and so on. Also being a loaner then they would be stuck with a new/used carb if had issues beyond their control. I don't know, just my thoughts. :)

I don't know of any loaner program for off road products.

I bought my knee braces for $600 and could not try them out.
Same with pipes etc.
You have to rely on other rider's opinions and base you purchasing decision on that.

Last edited:
I don't of any loaner program for off road products.

I bought my knee braces for $600 and could not try them out.
Same with pipes etc.
You have to rely on other rider's opinions and base you purchasing decision on that.

Good point Girard. The SC is new and not a lot of rider feedback, but then again what we have received is excellent. :D

IMHO I just don't see how the loaner deal can work. Good products have a way of spreading the word through the bike world and great products like the SC just do it a little faster. I loaned my SC out to two CH members who I thought would give it a fair test and report what they thought. Very positive feedback by one and the other will be testing it soon. I have no doubt he will feel the same about it and give it another positive report. The SC is like most new products somebody's gonna give it a try and if it works word and product will get out. Kinda like when I picked up my 2010 GG 300...I met the dealer half way from his place and my home. We backed our pick up trucks up tail gate to tail gate, I handed over a wad of cash, and slid the crated box from his truck to mine. I got the GG site unseen and no ride time from info I read here and other sites. The SmartCarb is/was way less of a gamble. When the cast units get out and drop the entry gamble fee the units will sell themselves.

All I know is I want a cast 36mm.....not sure if can wait until next spring. This is driving me crazy! This is not normal:eek:

Back