Lectron Carb

From a non salesman point of view. They are pretty easy to tune Trev. You still need to remove the tank, 3 bolts, and then the slide to make an adjustment so its not something you want to be doing mid muddy ride. My experiences are that the carb delivers 75%-80% of what it claims bolting it in. With some tinkering you can get it to 90% quite easily, but I'm yet to hit 100%. Its as good as my well tuned PWK, but I'm not sure if I would say better. The Keihin is better off idle, the Lectron has noted gains in the midrange. I don't see it as being a worthwhile upgrade for the coin unless if you are having major issues with the Keihin or just plain hate jetting. I've also found the Lectron to be more sensitive to temp/humidity changes than what they would like you to think.

I appreciate this post. I am enthusiastic about these carbs because I feel they work well but 100% love posts like this. I don't want to ever oversell these, tell people all the time you don't NEED one and make very little on them. I'm cool with all that. I do think thay work really good, am not personally ever going back and want to keep learning more about them. I am after that 100% too which is why I, with Kevins (Lectron) input made a custom rod for the unusual requirements of the 125/144/165 bikes I like. I got there and am happy. Will pass that info along for those who wish to go down this path. The simplicity, ease of tuning, better MPG (in my case and many others), response etc. is why I got involved. Until i tested and was shocked how good the APT worked I was happy as a clam with my rejetted stock carb. Now I cringe at the thought of ever having to run one again. It's like an autoclutch is for some people. If you like it you like it alot. Thanks for the honest real world post

I searched your site before I emailed and couldnt find a number???/
I'm not the brightest.......

No problem man, dont beat yourself up over it :D

Anyway thanks for the offer of help. You should stop by here more often I'm sure there are a lot of people who would appreciate a little more education on the lectron. Good to be wearing so many hats. Busy is good !
Thanks again
Stoby

will do. After the APT thread mess i thought i better bow out and not look like I am trying to sell stuff here. They tend to sell themselves once people get it and try one. Several customers have bought multiple carbs from me. One guy had 3 maybe 4 now. Even got one for his daughters KX100 and told me it made a big difference and his daughter likes a bike she hated before. His words not mine. Anyway, I subscribed to will answer questions where needed.

Probably more likely he was speaking about Dave from TSP. I have shot a few emails back and forwards with Kevin, but Dave is the Australian Dealer. I've just been fortunate enough to spend some time with a Lectron for evaluation purposes. I'm not sure if its the atmosphere, the fuels, or a combination of both, but everything seems much more sensitive. I almost feel like a quarter turn on the needle takes me from slightly rich to slightly lean and that my ideal setting/compromise is somewhere in the middle.

Probably more likely he was speaking about Dave from TSP. I have shot a few emails back and forwards with Kevin, but Dave is the Australian Dealer. I've just been fortunate enough to spend some time with a Lectron for evaluation purposes. I'm not sure if its the atmosphere, the fuels, or a combination of both, but everything seems much more sensitive. I almost feel like a quarter turn on the needle takes me from slightly rich to slightly lean and that my ideal setting/compromise is somewhere in the middle.

What bike?

2010 EC250. Dave has a CR250. Both have been setup well. Port timing to suit requirements and then heads milled and volume adjusted for specific compression ratios. I had 100hrs on my top end when starting the test but also had my PWK baseline to compare to. My engines got a total of 260hrs on it and is currently spread across the work bench getting freshened up for another round. Dave and I both settled on the exact same needle length though, and both agree on what we feel even though different bikes at different locations. Its still a work in progress. Dave has a few things he wants to try out, and Kevin is working closely with him regarding various metering rods. I'll be installing the lectron back into the gasser once I finish putting the engine back together for some more testing.

Got it today

got home from a late day of work to find 2 pkgs!! 1 was my new lectron
okay couldnt wait to bolt it on didnt even go in to clean up. So heres what happened -throttle cable way to short I looked at installed and slide was way up. Took it in and ground a good bit of the outer sheath off,maybe 1/4 inch. Tried it that way
Hard to start and once i fired her up idle way to high. Now both ends were adjusted all the way in. Took it back out ...... aggghhh took another 1/4 inch off. fired second kick died started right back up I noticed the fuel bowl was way overfull -my fault from turning it every which way while i still had line attached. shut fuel off let her run til the bowl started to empty then opened fuel back up and messed with idle screw. got her idling nice then went for a ride down my street a few times. SMOOTH strong acceleration can tell i'm gonna need to adjust a little but it already felt better than my RB modded carb.I felt the powervalve hit not the carb hit.
I will update as I put more time on her
Anyway if you get the carb I suggest you buy a cable at the same time My biggest disappointment was Kevin saying I should be okay with stock cable. I was glad not to have to spend extra at the time but now wish otherwise. Still have both adjusters bottomed and have a touch of slack but I took a lot of outer off.Other than the small snafu so far I'm happy. I hate jetting!
Stoby

Damn your lucky I'm still waiting for mine should be here on Monday. I have the t3 ktm motion pro cable so I'm hoping cause it's a bit longer all will be good!

dont know

Its the inside length that was off , I dont know? Does the longer cable have more adjustment leeway built in?As I said I took close to 1/2 inch off and both adjusters are still maxed in. I feel lucky, was glad to get it today hope to wring it out sunday.
Looking forward to your review also
Stoby

I asked Kelly at motosportz and he said my cable will be just fine so I'm really hoping I don't have issues. I don't want to fart around if I don't have to ya know!

I had to make my cable work (2011 250), it is not plug and play

They offer a variety of adapters now to accomodate various cables. I found the stock GG cable in their sleeve needs to be wrapped in some tape or something to stop water entering.

I agree Trev. I had the T3 fitted to my Keihin however never had the adapter to fit it when I received the lectron. Had to spend quite a bit of time tinkering to get it right. Kelly will have sent you the adapter you need though so it'll be plug n play!

Ps. I'm well over playing with bikes. Too many hours gone in the shed these last couple days off. Need to go for a ride!

adapter

My lectron came with an adapter/adjuster and a sleeve to keep the muck out
Both fit my cable fine . My cable on my bike was pretty tight already with almost zero adjustment needed from my throttle.Hoping your cable works.You should be getting the right adapter and sleeve with your kit, I did .
Another thing that was kind of a pain but also nice is the carb is bigger which makes sliding it in difficult but the extra length now provides a nice seal to my airboot as compared to before where it was always just barely on.

If you go back to my very first review of this carb, post #1, you'll see that I had the same issue with the stock cable. After rerouting it slightly and taking 16mm off of the outer sheathing it fits, but barely. I've never had any issues with dirt or water getting into it though, since the rubber cover fits nice and tight at the carb adjuster.

BTW, in a post by Jakobi he stated that he has to take the tank off to adjust the metering rod, but that is not the case for me. I just loosen the clamps and rotate the carb to access the top three screws and metering rod. The reality is that I haven't needed or wanted to adjusted it for quite awhile though.

I ordered a new cable from Kevin a couple of days ago to try it out. It's supposed to be 4 inches longer than stock and screw into the carb adjuster.

Back