Lectron Carb

lean

Talked w/ Kevin yesterday
Said it didnt make sense I thought same I think I'm a little confused as to set up. out of the box bike started up easily and I got a nice steady idle but after riding it for a good 45 min-hour it started running lean and was hunting at idle
Kevin said maybe I was just on the edge and try richening it up . So I turned it 1/2 and it started right up felt good I found a nice idle adjustment rode it up the street and back plug brown
I then turned it another 1/2 Same scenario started right up found a nice idle etc.up and down the street. I havent got a chance to really ride yet
Anyway my advice is start richer than what is sent to be on the safe side
better rich than lean. Hoping I didn't do any damage my whole top end is about 5 hours old, new nikasil piston etc. I'm gonna do compression test to see if anythings changed to ease my mind. Still am a little confused as to what I'm setting idle for as I set it fine with good response on all 3 settings I tried I'm hoping for the best cause even at the supposed lean setting and the 2 richer settings the bike ripped .Another reason I'm confused....Really hope to ride and figure it out .
Stoby

I found its pretty sensitive Stoby. I'd prefer if I could do 1/8th turn adjustment as I feel even a quarter is too much and skips over the perfect setting for me.

I also found the same thing where I dialled it in and it ran great, until I got into some trails and loaded it up a gear high which resulted in some hanging idle. I went a 1/4 turn richer and that solved it, however it then felt a bit fluffy off the bottom.

Talked w/ Kevin yesterday
Said it didnt make sense I thought same I think I'm a little confused as to set up. out of the box bike started up easily and I got a nice steady idle but after riding it for a good 45 min-hour it started running lean and was hunting at idle
Kevin said maybe I was just on the edge and try richening it up . So I turned it 1/2 and it started right up felt good I found a nice idle adjustment rode it up the street and back plug brown
I then turned it another 1/2 Same scenario started right up found a nice idle etc.up and down the street. I havent got a chance to really ride yet
Anyway my advice is start richer than what is sent to be on the safe side
better rich than lean. Hoping I didn't do any damage my whole top end is about 5 hours old, new nikasil piston etc. I'm gonna do compression test to see if anythings changed to ease my mind. Still am a little confused as to what I'm setting idle for as I set it fine with good response on all 3 settings I tried I'm hoping for the best cause even at the supposed lean setting and the 2 richer settings the bike ripped .Another reason I'm confused....Really hope to ride and figure it out .
Stoby

sounds like you were slightly lean, not going to hurt anything. Also sounds like it is 95% sorted huh? There are a lot of variable with gas, bikes, elevation, humidity, bike setup, accessories so the carb should come close but a few tweaks are necessary. Sounds like you did that and all is good to go.

soon i hope

Havent got out yet gonna rain the next 3 days
Gonna try for friday afternoon
I imagine i'll get it sorted I just thought as long as it idled well and resonse was good that was all i was adjusting for Since it did that out of the box I thought i was good to go . until it went lean I guess i missed something anyway i'm sure if everyone elses is working well mine will too
Hope to have a more positive ride report Friday

I am intrested buy Lectron too, does it help with fuel economy and lessens smoke? (Street legal bike with mirrors so i can see blue smoke all the time) I dont need more power but i can live with power gains too :D Have anyone experience how it works with euro fuel 98 RON? Allready have S3 head with 1,15mm squish, oversize pv-cover and Doma pipe...these mods make it enough powerfull from idle to top rev:)

Jori from Finland

I am intrested buy Lectron too, does it help with fuel economy and lessens smoke? (Street legal bike with mirrors so i can see blue smoke all the time) I dont need more power but i can live with power gains too :D Have anyone experience how it works with euro fuel 98 RON? Allready have S3 head with 1,15mm squish, oversize pv-cover and Doma pipe...these mods make it enough powerfull from idle to top rev:)

Jori from Finland

Most see an increase in fuel economy, I get 4-6 mpg better with it on my husky 125 with 165cc kit,. Some report no increases for some reason. Smoke? thats more what type of oil you run.

this oil will greatly reduce smoke it you can get it in your country.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...saber-professional/?page=/storefront/atp.aspx

as for Euro fuel we would need to set it up right for that which we can do.

Let me know if interested and we can work on it.

thanks
Kelly

Good ?

Round two fattened up the needle 1 full turn from 1st ride still starts easily idles fine . Feels fat, a little slow to respond but still very smooth and really rips mid-top I'm going to play with leaning it 1/4 turn but i'm happy with it as it is for my riding style just gonna see if i can be a little happier. I ride mostly 2nd -3rd gear I use 2nd to basically move at a walking pace to maybe 10mph
Bike chugs nicely and responds smoothly I definitely think there is a longer pull to get to mid. If I was riding more open I would change my g2 cam to a quicker pull.As is am happy.
Only complaint has been throttle cable related .I ordered a cable from Kevin and it was a mess, didnt work had to modify it to fit under my tank I did get it to work as I had to do something to go riding as I couldnt put my stock carb back after I had modified that cable. I thought I was getting a modified t3 it wasnt . So I spent $70 getting a cable and and another adjuster that I still had to modify . So now I'm over the $400 mark on what I thought was going to be a less expensive but at least available option. Heres the kicker
the new cable broke on my second ride The wire to the barrel for the throttle came apart from the barrel! I did nothing to modify that part of the cable.I just cut down the threads on the carb end of the cable. Tip- a tubing cutter works great as opposed to my first attempt with a dremel at cutting the tube going into the carb. So i'm Happy with the carbs performance and would recommend it but disappointed with overall experience.They need to get things sorted I bought this cause I don't like jetting/ working on my bike,when I could be riding. I just want to ride it when the weathers here. Going to call Kevin again....I have better things to do.
Stoby

I ended up getting my mp t3 10-3000 to work with no pull and I have raised bars. Still waiting for a good ride to report but it feels great just farting around. The cable thing is kind of hoky for sure but I'm still very pleased with Kelly's service and super quick replies to help. I gotta get out on this thing to test it now!

surprised

I figured you would have been out already. I ordered a t3 to see if I can get it to work. Waiting for it now.Did you do anything special to get it on? it seems like the lectron is taller especially with those adjusters.I dont know how the t3 will clear my tank? Any pics?
I think youll be happy with it I really am except for the cable BS. I've never felt such smooth power . No bogging ,no hit, and I know i'm not set up as good as can be

Yes I farted around with the bloody cable forever to get it to fit, I ended up putting both adjusters all the way in(I'm using g2 throttle cam with 100x cam) and routing the cable between the front frame tank mount(there's a small opening)then came up on the left side over the bars and in. Any other combination wouldn't work. I also took the adjuster nut off the carb end so it would thread in another 3/16. Ill take a quick video for you when it gets there but I think it will work fine for you as my bars with my stabilizer are quite high.

That blows re the cable.

I've been out playing with the Lectron again since my total rebuild. All happy days and like you said very smooth bottom to top. No noticable hit. Just a change in tone and an even stronger pull when on the pipe. Thats on a 250.

Adjustment

Jakobi
As for adjusting it seems to me that you could turn it an 1/8th or really any amount if you wanted .I think the 1/4 is a suggestion ,I havent tried it but my time adjusting it would lead me to believe any adjustment possible.
Did you try just giving it just an 1/8th of a turn? I may be wrong as I havent tried it
Stoby

The reason it is only adjustable in 1/4 turn increments is because the flat side of the needle has to face the engine, and the notches that allow this are in 1/4 turn increments. I haven't found this to be a problem, but jetting is somewhat subjective.

Like ST said, the plastic sleeve/retainer only allows for 1/4 turn adjustments. I'm sure you could get it slightly here or there different, but not right in the middle.

Trevors got the death grip! I use a small pair of needle noser pliers with some rag on the jaws as to not damage the metering rod. Works just fine. I'd love to see the adjuster come with the carb though.

fingers

I just used my fingers didnt buy the tool
Not easy but i prefer that as opposed to letting any of my tools get near that rod
It seemed to me that the adjustment was a ramp type setup I know I didnt feel any clicking while turning it thats why I figured it could be adjusted in any increment . I just eyeballed mine.I know it locks in when you do the adjust for how it faces ,didnt know it locks in at 1/4 turns. Singletracker have you gotten or tried another cable or are you still running the one you modified?

I received the new cable from Lectron, but I haven't installed it yet. I haven't been on the bike for the past three weeks due to injury, so I haven't been in a big hurry to mess with it.

sucks

Sorry to hear, hope its nothing major. Am curious to know how you make out with the cable you got. Heal up!
Stoby

Thanks for the get well wishes Stoby. I reinjured my neck when I hit an overhanging limb with my head at speed. It caused some on-going neck pain and some tingling in my fingers, which concerns me since I have an artificial disk in my neck already. It's getting better, but it spooked me a bit. It's still too soon to know just how bad it is/was.

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its funny how all of us get hurt doing this ,but most of us continue on & on
I had rotator cuff surgery in june.Was just waiting for all clear from surgeon got that now back in the saddle.I wont even get into what my cr500 did to me as a kid. Back & neck are tough things to heal and easy to hurt.I wish you a speedy recovery and safe journeys.
Stoby

Back