New Steering Damper Available For Gassers! Nice!

42GEORGE

I'VE BEEN SENDING SOME GASGAS SPECS TO THE GUYS AT MOTOSPORTZ SO THEY CAN R&D ONE FOR THE GASSERS! THEY ALREADY HAVE THEM FOR MANY OTHER BIKES & WE HAVE TESTED A COUPLE OF THEM AND BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH THE QUALITY, PRICE AND IT LOOKS GOOD TOO! THE DAMPER SLIDES FORWARD & BACKWARD IN ITS MOUNT SO THAT YOU DON'T NEED A NEW MOUNT EVERYTIME YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOU BAR POSITION (IN THE TRIPLE CLAMP). THE POST IS A 2 PIECE DESIGN THAT DOESNT REQUIRE REMOVING THE UPPER TRIPLE CLAMP TO INSTALL IT! CHECK EM OUT THEY RETAIL FOR ABOUT $389.99. THEIR WEB ADRESS IS: WWW.MOTOSPORTZDAMPER.COM.

Link didn't work, you mean: http://www.motosportz.com/MZ-SLD-menu.htm

Nice. Does it have a high speed circuit like a Scotts? I have a 9 year old Scotts rebuilt a few times but just can't keep seals in it anymore. I think the main wiper shaft is just worn out at the top where dirt can collect.

Sorry About The Wrong Address Guys.

The Damper Doesnt Have A High & Low Speed Circiut But It Is Faaaar Superioir To The Gpr Damper. I Am Happy With My Scots But This Wasnt Available At The Time Or I Probably Would Have Bought It.

Actually, it states that the dampening is "velocity sensitive" which means a shimstack or something similar in their. This effectively gives you low and high speed dampening characteristics - valved properly, it should work well...

jeff

Hydraulic flow, by law, is velocity sensitive. That is the resistance to flow increases to the square of the velocity. Thats why we have active valving in modern suspension now vs damper rods. The Scotts lets you still have very stiff HS damping with very little low speed damping. I'd like to try it. Just rebuilt my Scotts again tonight and its getting tired. Had a WER and tried a GPR and the Scotts is way better.

It is always good to double-check and maybe I am reading too much into it. I have seen the term "velocity sensitive" to indicate a variable oil passage that is sensitive to velocity - e.g. the available oil passage(s) get progressively larger as the velocity increases (e.g. shimstack or spring progressive blowoff). For example, my bilsteins on my truck are advertised as "velocity sensitive" and they have a piston/shimstack design.

jeff

I'm definatly willing to try one,, had a wer for years and like the scotts better but these look interesting..
Steve

I think you would want a steering damper to behave exactly the opposite as a suspension component with regard to resistance vs. speed. You want your suspension valving to flex, flow more oil and move without spikes during high speed hits like rocks. The damper on the other hand, you want to stiffen up very quickly when the forks start to deflect at high speed.

Mine saved my ass today as it has for years, I'll never ride without one.

Hey Glenn,
Thanks for the correction. I do see what you mean now. I was thinking about suspension valving...

jeff

Hello From Motosportz

Hey guys, Kelly here, owner of Motosportz. Jeff is getting us set up as a site sponsor so i thought I would introduce ourselves and be here for questions.

the damper has been a labor of love. I have worked in the motorcycle industry for years and am myself a hard core rider. We designed this damper about a year and a half ago and after major testing and letting the local pros thrash it we released it about a year ago. We have had nothing but positive feedback. Search Thumpertalk and KTMtalk for Motosportz and I'm sure you will find positive reviews. Additionally our Canadian distributor got one off (for a KTM) to the local magazines and the editor was stoked after trying it out. Look for more VERY positive reviews there. We are also working on getting them on the US ISDE team. All good stuff. Not trying to toot our own horn here just trying to provide customer feedback so you can make informed decisions. Our goal was natural feeling and obviously stability. Customer feedback puts us at our goal. Also, no BS warranty policy... if it is messed up send it in and we fix it for free including periodic oil changes and inspection. Simple customer service for us. Built 100% in house in Vancouver Washington USA.

Unique features:
- Very slim design with no top mounted knobs for safety
- Sliding damper mount allows perfect center-point alignment while providing all possible bar positions. One clamp works for any bar position
- Infinitely adjustable from next to nothing to a whole bunch with one simple lever
- Less points of seal failure than most all other dampers
- unique internal construction design to provide natural feeling. One main feature is the gradually fading damping. the further from center the softer the damping becomes. Position sensitive.

Site sponsor Town & Country Cycle has been using / selling our KTM and husky units and are carrying our GasGas units as well.

The GasGas units are done and shipping. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

thanks,
Kelly
Motosportz
www.motosportz.com

gasgas-1.jpg

How slim is it? The reason that I ask this is because some of us here race enduros and have enduro computers mounted on our bars.

I have the GPR right now and can't get my computer low enough to be protected if I loop my bike or smack a tree head on.

Thanks,
Boom

The unit itself is 1.25 inches top to bottom of the bolt holding the actuating arm on. It sits as low in the clamp as it can and still clear the bar. Here is a side shot (on a 07 WR450 but it is the same profile). It is also flat on top so you could mount to it.

MZ-Yami-side.jpg

This unit looks the shizz. Im busy arranging to order one and dhip it into SA, looks like it will be cheaper then what we are currently offered.

How do I get one to New Zealand? Have sent an email to sales but had no reply a week later, are they still making them?

Email

Hi Kelly I have sent an email to you again so I hope you have got it. What I forgot to put in the email is the model of bike, it's a 07 ISDE EC250.
Cheers
Tony

Back