APT SmartCarb

MP Part# 10-3000

I have a Motion Pro cable with the captured threaded end.

Girard,

I've been trying to follow all the throttle cable issues on Smart Carb thread over on the orange forum. I also read through your Motion Pro cable thread on this Forum.
I'm about to order the Motion Pro KTM T-3 cable PN 10-3000 and want to make sure that it is indeed the cable you have that ended up working with no issues on your Smart Carb (when they finally got you the correct top).

Thanks!

Girard,

I've been trying to follow all the throttle cable issues on Smart Carb thread over on the orange forum. I also read through your Motion Pro cable thread on this Forum.
I'm about to order the Motion Pro KTM T-3 cable PN 10-3000 and want to make sure that it is indeed the cable you have that ended up working with no issues on your Smart Carb (when they finally got you the correct top).

Thanks!

I ended up using my Motionpro t3 cable as the cap on my smart carb was intended for the stock cable so i ended up removing the brass insert out of the cap and running a die through the cable thread to match up to the cap thread and removed the locknut and as it fit no problem i was still short by about 2mm so i ended up hacksawing 2mm of the female threaded end of my domino housing and now fits perfect with just under 2mm of free play.I also ordered up a custom t3 cable that will have 1/2" longer cable length.When ordering they need to know the cable so they can install the proper cap.The cable you mentioned Andoman is indeed the cable i used.

I ended up using my Motionpro t3 cable as the cap on my smart carb was intended for the stock cable so i ended up removing the brass insert out of the cap and running a die through the cable thread to match up to the cap thread and removed the locknut and as it fit no problem i was still short by about 2mm so i ended up hacksawing 2mm of the female threaded end of my domino housing and now fits perfect with just under 2mm of free play.I also ordered up a custom t3 cable that will have 1/2" longer cable length.When ordering they need to know the cable so they can install the proper cap.The cable you mentioned Andoman is indeed the cable i used.

Have you had chance to ride the bike with the smartcarb yet , comments would be welcome :D

Very impressed indeed.I have it on a ktm 200 and it almost feels like i have the bottom end feel of a 300.Lots more bottom and very smooth feel with excellent over rev.You can definitely pull a higher gear now.As i have had a few minor issues to deal with(fitment,cable length) but worth it in my opinion.As for fuel consumption i'm not sure yet but i do know that people behind me(as they usually are,lol)say there is no sign of smoke coming from my exhaust and absolutely no spooge.Also there has been no signs of knocking ,popping,or farting of any kind no matter what elevation i'm at.Hope this helps and if i get a chance to evaluate my fuel consumption i'll post up but for now i'm having too much fun.

Dave

Very impressed indeed.I have it on a ktm 200 and it almost feels like i have the bottom end feel of a 300.Lots more bottom and very smooth feel with excellent over rev.You can definitely pull a higher gear now.As i have had a few minor issues to deal with(fitment,cable length) but worth it in my opinion.As for fuel consumption i'm not sure yet but i do know that people behind me(as they usually are,lol)say there is no sign of smoke coming from my exhaust and absolutely no spooge.Also there has been no signs of knocking ,popping,or farting of any kind no matter what elevation i'm at.Hope this helps and if i get a chance to evaluate my fuel consumption i'll post up but for now i'm having too much fun.

Dave

Thanks for the reply , its great to hear you are having a positive time with it , cant wait to recieve mine and see what all the fuss is about:D

Thanks for the report Dave. Mine will be here tomorrow according to UPS tracking anyway. Can't wait to try it on my Husky 165 :D! Did you have any trouble tuning it for your bike?

Girard,

Thanks!

That's the cable I have. I did remove the lock nut on the carb side cable ferrule.

Thanks, but I didn't do much! Actually I think Girard should be thanked for spending the coin and bringing this to our attention.

I never expected to be an internet sensation. :D
I just gave an honest review of a product that I purchased for my Gas Gas.

I thought I would have a race review of the SmartCarb this weekend at the Red River Enduro here in Texas.
The weather was horrible. Started pouring rain at the start. I could not see, took my goggles off, got poked in the eye after that(nothing major).
I ended up bailing after the 1st test.

Girard I should have my SmartCarb tomorrow, was it hard to get the carb set up as far as rich/lean? Any little tips you can share on this? Thanks.

Install the carb and ride the bike. You will know if it is rich or lean by the way it runs. The carb comes set up pretty close.
You can adjust the carb and go from there.

To install:
Remove Keihin throw in trash-won't be needing it anymore.:eek:

Remove the slide from the Smart Carb and install the throttle cable. Leave off for now.
Note about the slide, do not push up on the slide without the throttle cable installed. The slide will only open about 1/2 way as the return spring will bind up and jam.

Remove intake manifold boot off reed block.
Install carb-position it as close to the shock as possible.
Reinstall manifold boot, leave clamps loose.
Insert SmartCarb into manifold boot.
Rotate the carb towards left side of bike. Reinstall slide and cap.
Install air filter side boot onto carb.
You may need a long screwdriver to tighten the clamp.
Excersize the throttle a few times while turning the bars left to right.
Make sure the slide is ALL the way closed.
Fire up bike and let it warm up.
GO RIDE>

Thanks for the report Dave. Mine will be here tomorrow according to UPS tracking anyway. Can't wait to try it on my Husky 165 :D! Did you have any trouble tuning it for your bike?

No trouble tuning at all and like Girard said it comes really close right out of the box within 1 click lean or rich if at all.A quick note though about cold starting as i went for a ride last night in 29deg temps and the bike wouldn't start even with choke on so after a lot of kicking and cursing i decided to lean the bike over for 1-2 seconds to let some fuel get into the engine and low and behold fired up with the choke on in 3 kicks and ran flawless all night.

Thats a good tip Dave. I read that a few years back and now lean my bikes over before kicking them if they've set for any amount of time.

No trouble tuning at all and like Girard said it comes really close right out of the box within 1 click lean or rich if at all.A quick note though about cold starting as i went for a ride last night in 29deg temps and the bike wouldn't start even with choke on so after a lot of kicking and cursing i decided to lean the bike over for 1-2 seconds to let some fuel get into the engine and low and behold fired up with the choke on in 3 kicks and ran flawless all night.

Great tip to share Dave, thanks. :D

My bikes have always started easier doing that after sitting in a cold garage with dry carbs, so its not necessarily a Smart Carb only thing, although it may be more sensitive.

Corey, Am I correct in assuming that the die cast body will more closely approximate the size of the Keihin and eliminate or greately reduce any fitment issues?

Back