APT SmartCarb

the only reason i want the cast one and decided to wait is because the current billet version does not have the inline check valve to the cylinder from my conversation with corey and with how much (on some rides:D) my bike can end up upside down or leaking fuel id like that to be incorporated into the version i receive. might not be as big of a concern to most though

Last edited:
I just ordered the 36 for it. Should be here in 2 -3 days and will get bolted on and tested the day it shows up. Well unless it's raining :D,

i didn't see temperature fluctations addressed (or maybe i missed it)...

is it just a 1 click change from say 30 degrees to 90 degrees? or maybe that's too simple - 1 click richer every 20 degree temp drop as long as elevation stays the same??

my main issue with the pwk is not getting a baseline, it's the changes every 20 degrees. i'm rejetting several times a year - mains change 1 or 2 times, and pilot the same.... and sometimes i just miss the jetting by a pilot setting, or maybe the air screw coulda been turned just a 1/4 turn more - you never know till you're pushing the bike hard 20 minutes into a race, and all of a sudden the idle is hanging and you're worried about blowing stuff up...........

Last edited:
i didn't see temperature fluctations addressed (or maybe i missed it)...

is it just a 1 click change from say 30 degrees to 90 degrees? or maybe that's too simple - 1 click richer every 20 degree temp drop as long as elevation stays the same??

my mine issue with the pwk is not getting a baseline, it's the changes every 20 degrees. i'm rejetting several times a year - mains change 1 or 2 times, and pilot the same.... and sometimes i just miss the jetting by a pilot setting, or maybe the air screw coulda been turned just a 1/4 turn more - you never know till you're pushing the bike hard 20 minutes into a race, and all of a sudden the idle is hanging and you're worried about blowing stuff up...........

The SmartCarb senses air density as it passes by the metering rod. The density (weighted volume) of the air affects the "strength" of the negative pressure zone behind (downstream of) the metering rod and it therefore can only pull fuel in direct proportion to the air mass that is passing by. The float bowl pressurization circuit also communicates these relative air densities and compensates by augmenting the fuel driving pressure in the float bowl. Therefore no corrections for air temperature is necessary and the carburetor simply responds to these transient conditions.

Corey

The SmartCarb senses air density as it passes by the metering rod. The density (weighted volume) of the air affects the "strength" of the negative pressure zone behind (downstream of) the metering rod and it therefore can only pull fuel in direct proportion to the air mass that is passing by. The float bowl pressurization circuit also communicates these relative air densities and compensates by augmenting the fuel driving pressure in the float bowl. Therefore no corrections for air temperature is necessary and the carburetor simply responds to these transient conditions.

Corey
so basically, no adjustments needed for elevation or temperature change. right?
once it's set up once, there is no need to ever touch it? unless you need to compensate for loss of compression/ring wear/etc?

so basically, no adjustments needed for elevation or temperature change. right?
once it's set up once, there is no need to ever touch it? unless you need to compensate for loss of compression/ring wear/etc?

Correct, however If there are very large changes in elevation (7500' or more) and you're the type of person that can feel very slight off idle richness/leaness you can adjust one or two clicks.

Also correct, if the engine loses efficiency (ring seal) which changes the strength of the signal to the carburetor, some adjustment will be necessary.

Correct, however If there are very large changes in elevation (7500' or more) and you're the type of person that can feel very slight off idle richness/leaness you can adjust one or two clicks.

Also correct, if the engine loses efficiency (ring seal) which changes the strength of the signal to the carburetor, some adjustment will be necessary.

sold! count me in for a diecast one.

I guess I have to start counting since I suggested getting a count. Maybe move it to polls in that form? Billet, diecast 38, diecast 36, etc. Would be easier if I could preload current total.

What's the price of the die cast version? I thought I read every post and didn't see it. Looks like a nice carb and I might give one a try if the price is right.

What the heck put me down for a 38 diecast version too. Can't wait till I get the 36 on Monday to try it out!

Last edited:
Back